[Nfbofsc] COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

NFBSC Office nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Fri Apr 4 15:40:31 UTC 2014

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

April 4, 2014

BBQ COMMITTEE MEETING

          The next meeting for the 61st annual barbecue will be held on Thursday, April 17 at 7:00 p.m. using Instant Conference phone number 862-902-0241 and access code 358-8716.  Committee members are:  Frank Coppel, Chairman, Shelly Coppel, Ed Bible, Julie Bible, Ike Nelson, Don Capps, Betty Capps, Anna Price, Gloria Washington, Magdalene Floyd, Dorothy Barksdale, David Houck, Ernest Gallman, Tiffany Mitchell, Lavada Nelson, Wanda Sheck, Steve Sheck, Catherine Williams, Benny Stidem, Harriett Davis, Julia Rembert, Katherine Ziegler, Gail Nelson and Phil Watridge.

MYRTLE BEACH TRIP

          Tiffany Mitchell is planning a Myrtle Beach trip scheduled for September 26-28.  Room rates are $84 plus tax.  Contact Tiffany Mitchell at 803-629-5915 for more details.

NFB 2014 ORLANDO CONVENTION

          A good number of members have already made their Convention reservations at the Rosen Centre by calling 800-204-7234.  You should take care of this important matter as soon as you can.  We are going to have a blast in Orlando at the 2014 National Convention!

          Also, 28 have already signed up to ride the chartered bus to Orlando and you need to get in your $70 reservation to ride the bus as seats are filling up fast.  The bus will leave Columbia at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 1 and depart from Orlando at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 7.

          From March 1 through May 31, we will be initiating the preregistration process for the National Convention in Orlando.  You always save money when you preregister.  This opportunity will be available until May 31.  Go to www.nfb.org to pre-register.  We have Orlando Convention pre-registration forms at the state office as well.

NFB OF SC 2014 STATE CONVENTION SET

          The 2014 NFB of SC Convention will occur at the Columbia Marriott during the weekend of August 8 through 10.  The rate will be $89 per night for rooms accommodating one through four persons.  The Columbia Marriott is quite excited about hosting us for the 2014 Convention, and we have every reason to look forward to a splendid Convention in Columbia this August.  We anticipate a great Columbia Chapter turnout.  Call 771-7000 to make your reservation!

ROCKY BOTTOM 2014 FUN DAY TICKETS

          By now you should have your $5 Fun Day tickets to sell.  If you need to turn in filled out ticket stubs and money or if you need more to sell, see David Houck Every person should be willing to invest $5 in a Fun Day ticket with the chance of winning $500 if you are the buyer or $50 if you are the seller of the winning ticket.  If you both purchase and sell the winning ticket you will receive $550.  The chapter selling the most Fun Day tickets will receive $300.  Hey, we need to get busy selling our Fun Day tickets as Sumter Chapter is 30 tickets ahead of the Columbia Chapter!

61st ANNUAL COLUMBIA CHAPTER BBQ

          If you have not already received your BBQ tickets or if you need more, contact the Federation Center at 254-3777.  You are responsible to sell these tickets and to turn in either cash from sold tickets or to turn in your remaining unsold tickets.  Let's get out there and do a good job of ticket sales.  Tickets are $8.50 each and can be delivered to businesses with sales of 15 dinners or more within a ten mile radius of the Center.  Vegetable Medley is catering the event this year.  Canvassing nights are Tuesday, April 8, Thursday, April 10 and Monday, April 14.  Make plans to canvas and work the day of the barbecue.  We are collecting funds to defray the cost of supplies for the barbecue.  By last night's chapter meeting we raised $335 in cash donations and still have $210 in pledges, totaling $545 to help offset our barbecue supply costs.  Make contributions to the Columbia Chapter NFB of SC and mark it for BBQ expenses as they are now due.

          Although names were taken last night for canvassing on April 8, 10 and 14 as well as the day of the barbecue, if you missed the meeting last night and plan to participate, call Frank Coppel at 796-8662 now to sign up.  We need to also know of volunteer drivers to deliver dinners on barbecue day, April 24.  Large posters are in for you to display, advertising the barbecue.  Get them at the Center.  Please call in your deliveries for the barbecue to David Houck at the Center or give them to Julie Bible.

COLUMBIA CHAPTER MEETING April 3, 2014

          Attendance was down somewhat but we had quality if not quantity.  Don and Betty Capps were not present as Betty Capps is recovering from recent knee surgery.  Please pray for Lucille Hemmingway as she is very sick and her prognosis is not very good.  We did have a few visitors present who are most welcome.  Darlene Houck gave a thought provoking Easter devotional.  Much of the meeting was taken up with barbecue information.  Canvassing nights were established with about 14 canvassers volunteering for each night.  Names were taken of those who will be working the serving lines the day of the barbecue as well.  We need someone to coordinate a group of people to do the dinner for the Thursday night, April 10 canvas.  If you would like to do this, call Frank Coppel at 796-8662 now.  We will also need volunteer drivers to deliver dinners, so call them in as well.  The delivery boxes have arrived to be put together on canvas nights thanks to Barry Chavis.  David Houck gave the Center report.  The treasurer's report revealed we have $535.09 in the treasury with some barbecue ticket sales being turned in last night.  The 50-50 raffle ticket winner was Joe Dunham who won $22.  Congratulations Joe!

Have a blessed Easter!

Steve Sheck, President, Columbia Chapter NFB of SC