[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1445

NFBSC Office nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 23 12:48:19 UTC 2014

April 23, 2014

Memo To: Executive Officers, Board of Directors, Chapter and Division Presidents and Others

From: Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1445

Dear Fellow Federationists:

          We are still accepting reservations for the NFB of SC Cruise occurring between the dates of February 7, 2015, and February 14, 2015.  Be sure to get in touch with Anahit Labarre at alabarre at labarretravel.com or 720-334-3652.  Anahit can give you the details you will need to complete your travel plans.  It will be a blast, so be sure to join us in February of 2015!

          To reserve your cabin, you need to have your deposit paid by the deadline, which will arrive around May 1, 2014.  There will then be an interim payment due around September 1, 2014, and your final payment is due no later than November 19, 2014.  Please ask Anahit about these dates, as I am estimating.  Choose any payment plan you like, but let's have a great time together.

          You can still preregister for the National Convention by completing the registration form in your copy of the April Braille Monitor or online at www.nfb.org.  The hotel phone number is 800-204-7234.  The deposit is $95, which will be applied to your bill.  The chartered bus is two-thirds full, as reservations continue to come in.

          It is time to apply for NFB of SC scholarships for the upcoming academic year.  Visit www.nfbsc.net and complete the online application, and be sure to tell other students about this opportunity to receive financial assistance with school expenses.  Scholarships will be awarded during the State Convention scheduled for August 8 through 10 at the Columbia Marriott.

          Let me give you a brief reminder regarding Advocacy Day for Access and Independence on May 8, 2014, at the State House.  This is a gathering of a number of disability-related organizations with similar goals to our own.  A number of chapters are planning to transport members to Advocacy Day using their chapter vans, which is a most welcomed idea.

          I hope you can join us between 9:00 AM and 12:30 PM on Thursday, May 8, to increase public awareness about independence and equality from the prospective of the largest minority group in the nation:  people with disabilities.  May 8 is only two weeks away, so you should start working on the logistics now.

          I want to conclude my portion of the Positive Note with a shout out to our Columbia Chapter, which is conducting its 61st Annual Barbecue on Thursday, April 24.  The Barbecue project has been featured recently at the national level with an article in the Cash and Caring fundraising kit due to the success we have enjoyed each year.  To our colleagues in Columbia, good luck!  Joining me for comments in this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

          For many years the Carolina-Clemson football game was held on "Big Thursday."  This was an official state holiday with many businesses closing.  However, Clemson got tired of playing the game in Columbia every year and of course this was changed.  The annual Columbia Chapter barbecue is held the last Thursday in April.  For those of us who participate in the annual barbecue many feel that the last Thursday in April is a virtual "Big Thursday."  This arrangement has worked well for the Columbia Chapter.  The weather is very beautiful and many feel that Columbia is an open florist shop at this time of the year with azaleas blooming as well as dogwoods, etc.  This annual barbecue has been held at the Federation Center of the Blind with the first occurring in 1962, some 52 years ago.  Before 1962 the barbecue was held in the Administration Building of the Association of the Blind broom and mattress shop.  This arrangement was satisfactory for 1954 and 1955 but unfortunately contention in 1956 was brought about by our pressing concerns about the low wages paid blind workers and poor working conditions.  This resulted in our being advised that we were no longer welcome to use the Association's facilities.  Sen. Walter J. Bristow, Jr., at that time was my neighbor.  I discussed this situation with him.  He was able to get the Richland County legislative delegation to approve our using the Township Auditorium located on Taylor Street.  This arrangement was satisfactory, especially since the Township Auditorium is centrally located.  From 1954 to the present time, hundreds of blind persons have participated in the barbecue including the three canvas nights.  However, since some 60 years have elapsed, there is no one still alive who has participated since the first barbecue with the exception of three people who are Betty and myself and Lois Bolton Tucker.  It is to the credit of the blind in the Columbia area who year after year promote this good fundraiser.  Hundreds of blind Columbians have benefitted throughout the 60 years of the barbecue which provides significant profits.  So, as you read this Positive Note, its probably reaching you this Thursday, just remember a lot of blind people are at the Federation Center working hard to accommodate the hundreds of customers who will be coming by the Center for the plates they purchased.

          You will recall we published in a recent Positive Note that the facilities at RBRCCB need painting.  A week ago I wrote to my good friend, Mr. Charles Dalton, President and CEO of Blue Ridge Electric Cooperative for financial assistance.  I'm proud to report that Mr. Dalton responded quickly with a contribution of $5,000 from the Blue Ridge Fest.  This financial support will certainly be helpful but there are five facilities to be painted and we will certainly need others.  Our Resident Manager, Elsie Duncan has managed to get some members from Faith Baptist Church in Norris, SC to paint Lawton Hall the second weekend in May.  This is a good beginning.  Recently, Lenora Robertson who is in charge of the food service was in RBRCCB and she and Elsie Duncan also approached Blue Ridge Electric about sponsoring the painting.  They also secured public works to provide a volunteer crew to clean out around the creek banks.  Also, it's my understanding that Ed Bible who is a member of the NFB of SC Board of Directors is making contacts with churches to secure more volunteer painters.  I'm grateful to Lenora, Elsie and Ed.  We need as many as possible to secure the necessary volunteers in order to have sufficient help to paint all of the facilities.  Finally, it is appropriate to point out that the NFB of SC and RBRCCB have highly successful programs of service to blind people and this has been accomplished through the combined efforts of many members in many chapters.  I hope that all of you have had a blessed Easter.

Final Thought:  "It's not the barbecue in my life that counts; it's the life in my barbecue." - Mae West