[Nfbofsc] FW: Positive Note 1462

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 20 12:57:56 UTC 2014

August 20, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1462

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              I have received very positive comments about the 2014 NFB of
SC Convention, which concluded on Sunday, August 10.  It is always
gratifying when people enjoy the Convention, as lots of planning goes into
putting on such a multifaceted event.  Though the Convention wrapped-up just
ten days ago, the Fun Day festivities at Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference
Center of the Blind are some ten days away.

It's time to switch gears and get ready to enjoy ourselves during Labor Day
weekend.  As Chairman Capps has reported, response has been high for room
reservations.  But chapters which are not planning to stay over the weekend
should plan to spend the day with us on Saturday.  We have planned the
agenda so that everyone can enjoy Fun Day whether you are spending the night
or staying for the day.

The auction will occur on Saturday beginning at 11:00 AM.  If you arrive
late in the morning on Saturday, you can still join in the fun by
checking-in at the auction table and obtaining a number.  This year, we will
be holding a BINGO game beginning at 3:00 PM, and there will be cash prizes.

You can play with as many cards as you want at $5 per card per game.  The
winner of each game will win half of the proceeds from that game with Rocky
Bottom retaining the other half.  Those who will be staying for the day can
take advantage of the food service capably handled by Lenora Robertson.

Let me thank Isaiah Nelson for working so hard to get the food items to
Rocky Bottom in advance each year and all of the kitchen workers (including
Lenora) who get up early and stay up late to prepare excellent meals for us.
There will also be activities on Sunday (including a gospel sing) and a yard
sale and country store on Monday.  I look forward to being there and seeing
you next weekend.

Invitations for Christmas parties are already coming in.  Please let us know
when your chapter Christmas party is scheduled, and we will plan to have
representation by a Board member at the meeting, but we need to know the
date.  Between now and the Christmas season, however, we will be
participating in the 75 Days of Action.

The 75 Days of Action initiative is a nationwide effort to build the
Federation by organizing new chapters and revitalizing existing ones.  In
the NFB of SC, we will be doing some work in various parts of the state to
strengthen some of our chapters.  It will be busy this fall, but that's just
the way we like it.  Joining me for comments in this Positive Note is the
President Emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

              The annual Labor Day Fun Day Festival is just around the
corner, just one week away.  There have been record breaking requests for
reservations.  We now have a considerable waiting list.  While we don't
anticipate very many cancellations, if any of you should have a development
that prevents you from going to Fun Day, we urgently ask you to notify the
Center so that we can hopefully accommodate someone on the waiting list.  As
we explained in last week's Positive Note, to accommodate the largest
possible number for Fun Day it would be necessary for maximum sharing.  Thus
we are a federation family and I'm confident that everyone will understand
that sharing is essential.  In the past, participants at Fun Day have paid
$30 for three nights lodging and seven meals with a separate charge for
Monday's lunch.  We are increasing activity for Saturday including the
morning auction, Fun Day ticket drawing, and BINGO.  We believe this will
create a larger turnout from the neighborhood and Lenora Robertson who is in
charge of the food service tells us that for the Saturday luncheon food
service she is planning a special luncheon featuring barbecue and all the
trimmings.  There will be a very affordable charge of $8.50 for the Saturday
luncheon but there will not be any charge for Monday's lunch as has been the
case in the past.  As indicated before, this change will help with needed
profits.  Lenora will have someone in charge to receive the $8.50 for
Saturday's lunch.  Your $30 payment should be given to Valerie Warrington.
Please get your sold Fun Day tickets in to the state office by Friday,
August 29 or bring them with you to Fun Day and turn them in to David Houck
by noon on Saturday in order to be in time for the drawing on Saturday
afternoon.  Who will sell the winning ticket drawn and receive $50 or have
purchased the winning ticket and receive $500 and which chapter will sell
the most Fun day tickets and receive $300 for their chapter's treasury?
While you don't have to be present to win, you do have to have purchased a
ticket!  Please remember to bring items for the auction, Old Country Store
and yard sale.  Don't forget the Rocky Bottom merchandise sales (hats,
T-shirts, etc.).  We have a new deck for the Conference Center and there
will be an opportunity to enjoy fellowship on the deck, especially during
the much cooler evenings.  As a matter of fact, good fellowship is an
important part of the annual gathering which is the largest gathering for
the Rocky Bottom program.  We know that our state President Parnell Diggs
will bring his guitar and we'll enjoy gospel singing and other songs.  Upon
arrival please check in with our Resident Manager Elsie Duncan for your
reservations.  I want to thank the chapters which have made contributions to
the food purchase.  Please remember to bring your own linen and towels.  We
believe this will be the biggest and best Labor Day Fun Day Festival we've
had during the 30 year history of this event.  On a historical note - At the
NFB of SC convention on Saturday, August 9 there were for the first time,
four NFB of SC present and former Presidents at the podium:  Parnell Diggs,
Donald Capps, Marshall and Lois Tucker.

Final Thought:  "Without labor nothing prospers".  ~Sophocles