[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1463

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Aug 26 13:11:45 UTC 2014

August 26, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1463

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              We are releasing the Positive Note early this week to get the
final details to you before we head up the mountain at Rocky Bottom for the
much anticipated 2014 Fun Day weekend.  Many of us will be arriving on
Friday, while others will come in on Saturday or Sunday, but we will be
enjoying fellowship through Labor Day.  As we have mentioned in previous
Positive Notes, this year's schedule will be new.

For example, the auction will occur on Saturday beginning at 11:00 AM.  If
you arrive late in the morning on Saturday, you can still join in the fun by
checking-in at the auction table and obtaining a number.  If you sign up for
a free number, you still do not have to buy anything; but you will have the
option to do so if the spirit moves you.  We need lots of people to
participate in the auction.

Also on Saturday, we will be conducting a BINGO game beginning at 3:00 PM,
and there will be cash prizes.  Here is how it works.  You pay $2 per BINGO
card per game, or $5 for three cards.  I may have said $5 per card in last
week's Positive Note, but you actually get three cards for $5.  Thus, it
will cost as little as $2 if you want to play.

The winner will receive one/third of that game's receipts, and Rocky Bottom
will receive two/thirds.  This is the split for every game regardless of the
number of games we can squeeze in before dinnertime.  This too is different
than what I said last week, but upon further reflection it seems that Rocky
Bottom should be the primary beneficiary of Fun Day events.

Dinner will be served at 6:00 for those spending Saturday night.  For those
spending the day with us on Saturday, you can take advantage of the
excellent food service Lenora Robertson has planned for us.  The pay per
meal service will be offered as a lunch option.

Rather than having all events taking place on one day, we will be dividing
the events to give people a chance to participate in the activities of their
choice throughout the weekend.  On Sunday, people can enjoy a gospel sing
beginning at 2:00 PM; and on Monday morning, the yard sale and old country
store will be occurring, where you can take advantage of some great
bargains.

Remember that everyone who stays at Rocky Bottom for the weekend will be
asked to pay $30 for weekend meals.  As Chairman Capps has observed, we have
a record number of reservations this year, which means we have a chance to
have a great Fun Day in 2014.

I have been speaking with some of our chapter leaders around the state about
revitalization efforts taking place this fall in the National Federation of
the Blind across the nation.  In the NFB of SC, we are working in Columbia,
Summerville, and York County in the next thirty days or so, and there will
be other efforts thereafter.  October will also see a number of revitalizing
activities as we continue the 75 Days of Action initiative.  The 75 Days of
Action initiative is a nationwide effort to build the Federation by
organizing new chapters and revitalizing existing ones.  See you at Fun Day!
Joining me for comments in this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of
the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

              I am grateful that there is unprecedented interest in the
number of members across the state in this year's Fun Day Festival.  We have
received record requests from some 75 members for reservations and
unfortunately we are unable to accommodate this large of an attendance.  We
do expect to accommodate some 60 members which is about 25% larger than
previous Fun Day Festivals.  As previously pointed out, it is necessary to
have multiple occupancy but I am confident that everyone will understand the
situation.  We are still unable to accommodate some 15 members this year but
you are encouraged to make your reservations early in 2015 as we have a
policy of first come, first served.  If you must cancel out, please contact
the state office immediately at 803-254-3777.  A reminder to bring your
linen and towels.  First thing Saturday morning we will enjoy a good
southern breakfast as our food service Director Lenora Robertson and her
kitchen crew does an excellent job.  Remember that there will be a special
luncheon on Saturday which will feature barbecue and all the trimmings.  We
hope we will have good community participation for the luncheon which is at
only $8.50 for members and outside participation.  This $8.50 payment will
be made to an individual assigned by Lenora during the luncheon.  The $30
payment will be made to our Treasurer, Valerie Warrington.  Remember to get
your Fun Day tickets to David Houck in time for the Saturday afternoon
drawing.  You could win $50 as the seller, $500 as the buyer or $550 if you
buy your own ticket and it is the winning Fun Day ticket drawn.  Don't
forget that the chapter selling the most Fun Day tickets will receive $300
for their chapter's treasury.  Who will it be?

The first Fun Day Festival to be held in the Conference Center was in 1991,
the year this facility was completed.  Prior to that time the Fun Day
Festival was pretty much held outside under tents and in an old dilapidated
building that stood where the Conference Center now stands.  Obviously, we
were somewhat limited in the food service but a lot of hot dogs were
consumed.  Incidentally, the old structure that stood where the Conference
Center is now located, was on the historical registry.  Many famous
politicians visited Rocky Bottom where rallies were held.  When President
Lyndon Banes Johnson was Vice President he visited Rocky Bottom and
participated in rallies.  One of the features of yesteryear was the
womanless wedding.  CA Gatlin, a sighted member from Charleston who was
married to Tootsie Gatlin (a federation official) did a super job in
conducting the womanless weddings.

As you can see, things have changed over the years and this has been
reflected in larger profits.  It is to the credit of our members that
progress has occurred as there are three major events during a two month
period including the July national convention, the August state convention
and the Labor Day Fun Day Festival.  Please bring items for the auction, the
yard sale and the Old Country Store.  I hope several Upstate chapters will
load up their vans and participate in Saturday's activities.  Let me
conclude this part of the Positive Note by thanking all of you for your
assistance, for without this support the Fun Day Festival would not be
nearly as successful.  See you at Rocky Bottom!

Final Thought:  "If all the cars in the United States were placed end to
end, it would probably be Labor Day Weekend."  ~Doug Larson