[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1478

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Mon Dec 8 20:13:12 UTC 2014

December 8, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1478

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              In just a few days, we will converge upon Rocky Bottom Retreat
and Conference Center of the Blind for the 2014 Christmas Board Retreat.
For the first time, we will conduct three Board meetings (including the
Rocky Bottom Board, the Federation Center Board, and the State Board)
followed by a celebration of the Christmas Season on Saturday evening
featuring a holiday dinner and Christmas party.

If you would like to participate in the gift exchange on Saturday evening,
please bring a gift which reflects your gender.  Also, if you would like to
enjoy some delicious sweets after dinner on Saturday evening, please bring
your favorite pies, cakes, cookies, etc.  This would be a great time to
break out those special recipes.  That's right; I am counting on you to
bring some great sweets.

Please let us know when you will be arriving, as Dr. Capps and I will be
making room assignments and planning for meals in a few days.  And remember,
you need to bring your linens including sheets and towels.  When you arrive,
be sure to check with the resident manager to ascertain your room
assignment.  And lastly, please come to the Board meetings whether you are
on a particular board or not because we need your input.  The 2014 Retreat
is shaping-up to be the best in NFB of SC history!  I hope you can make it!

Let me talk about the mailings going out of the State Office.  In recent
weeks, we have been requesting that people opt-in to continue receiving the
Positive Note in print if they would like to do so.  If you don't mind
receiving your Positive Note by email, on the other hand, you can sign up
for the listserv by visiting www.nfbsc.net, or simply send us an email at
nfbsc at sc.rr.com.  You can also elect to receive the Positive Note in print
in 2015 simply by letting us know you want it.

In short, there are three ways you can indicate your interest in receiving
the Positive Note.  Call us, email us, or sign-up for the listserv.  You
should do at least one of these things by the end of the year.  This will
help us update our mailing lists and streamline the delivery of the Positive
Note.

I want to thank our Cherokee County Chapter, and it's President Jamie
Allison, for sending in their State dues.  Dues of $10 per member should be
paid by January 1.  They are considered delinquent if not paid by January
31, the date of the 2015 Statewide Seminar.  Yes: the Statewide Seminar is
on the Horizon.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.  See you this weekend!  Joining me for
comments in this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of the NFB of SC.
Here is Dr. Capps.

              President Diggs has very nicely covered the activities and the
three board meetings for this weekend.  This is shaping up to be the largest
turnout we've ever had for the annual Christmas Board Retreat.  This year
there will be meetings of three different organizations, the NFB of SC,
Rocky Bottom and the Federation Center of the Blind.  These three boards
feature many of the outstanding state leaders as these are leadership roles.
As of today, Monday, December 8, rooms in all four overnight accommodations
will be utilized.  To accommodate everyone, some sharing of room
accommodations is necessary but federationists are accustomed to sharing.

              Speaking of leadership, I'm reminded of our 2000 state
convention at which time I stepped down as state President and gave the
torch to a young blind lawyer, Parnell Diggs who has developed into one of
the finest state Presidents in the country and is a leader on our national
board.  I'm pleased to be able to participate in roles I am confident with
but the state presidency is very demanding and deserves our very best
leader.  Speaking of the 2000 state convention, it seems appropriate to take
a look back and review some of the things we were doing nearly 15 years ago.
Please join me as we travel down memory lane.  Over 350 delegates attended
the new Millennium Convention including Dr. Marc Maurer as our national
representative.  Friday's convention activities included several exhibits,
registration, divisional meetings, and the resolutions committee meeting,
all topped off with an excellent evening reception.  The Saturday morning
session included door prizes throughout, welcoming speakers, convention
announcements, an informative National Report by Dr. Marc Maurer, Dr. Nell
Carney gave the report from the Commission for the Blind, Dr. Sheila
Breitweiser gave the School for the Deaf and Blind report and Attorney Bob
Wood discussed our victory in the Greenville County School District case
regarding Carol Randolph.  Dr. Capps report on the NFB of SC was especially
informative as he noted he would be stepping down as President but he would
not be stepping away.  The luncheon featured greetings from US Senator Strom
Thurmond and the keynote speaker was Honorable Rita Allison who received the
Legislator of the Year Award and a framed resolution drafted by the
Resolutions Committee and adopted by the convention.  At that time Earle E.
Morris, Jr. presented Dr. Capps with the Order of the Palmetto and Betty
Capps with the Order of the Silver Crescent for their longtime service to
the state's blind.  The afternoon session agenda featured several chapter
presidents giving their federation life stories, Guynell Williams reported
on the progress of Talking Book Services, an employment panel gave the
employment successes of several blind federation members, both NFB Jobline
and NFB Newsline services were discussed, David Houck gave the Federation
Center report and Bob Bell headed up the Rocky Bottom report.  Speaking of
the 2001 bus fund, it was heartening that the NFB of SC brought back the
2000 Detroit NFB convention banner back to South Carolina.  The sale of bus
fund tickets makes a real difference in national convention attendance.
Columbia Mayor Bob Coble and US Senator Ernest Hollings joined in on the
convention Banquet activities Saturday evening.  Special NFB of SC coffee
mugs and coasters were presented to Banquet attendees.  NFB of SC charter
member Ruth Weeks was presented with the Presidential Citation, Irene Casey
received the Educator of the Year Award, ANC Rental Corporation received the
Employer of the Year Award, Julius Broughton received $1,100 from the Ellen
Beach Mack Home Award, Darlene Houck received the Associate Member of the
Year Award, Carey Burris received the Donald C. Capps Award, Guynell
Williams received the Distinguished Service Award and $9,000 in scholarships
were granted to ten deserving blind college students.  NFB President Dr.
Marc Maurer presented the keynote Banquet address telling about his life
experiences with blindness.  The convention delegates also contributed
$10,000 to the Jernigan Institute for the Blind capital campaign.  Sunday's
session included the Devotional and Memorial Service, chapter and division
reports, resolutions adopted by the convention, NFB of SC and Rocky Bottom
financial reports, NFB stewardship reports, and election of officers which
included President Parnell Diggs, First Vice President Frank Coppel, Second
Vice President Lenora Robertson, Secretary Dorothy Barksdale, Treasurer
David Houck and board members David Bundy, Marty McKenzie, Phil Patterson,
Nancy Hines and Sheila Compton.  Thus the torch of leadership had been
passed on to President Parnell Diggs.  I look forward to seeing all of you
at the Christmas Board retreat this weekend.

Final Thought:  "A retreat is not a falling back but it is a regrouping in
order to go forward."