[Nfbofsc] COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Fri Dec 12 15:52:20 UTC 2014

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

DECEMBER 12, 2015

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

DECEMBER 11 CHRISTMAS CHAPTER MEETING

            There was a huge crowd present at the Christmas Chapter meeting
as Haskell Heights First Baptist Church did a superb job of providing a
wonderful Christmas dinner and devotional service.  We were glad to vote in
a new voting member, Benjamin Bradley who came with Barry Chavis.  Also
present at our meeting was NFB of SC President Parnell Diggs who played his
guitar and sang Christmas Carols and of course, "Blind Man's Blues."  With
him was Gary Wunder, President of the NFB of Missouri and Editor of the
Braille Monitor who also addressed the large gathering.  Dr. Capps greeted
the audience and gave us more background on Gary Wunder.  David Houck,
Center Director, gave his report encouraging members to sell their $1 NFB
charter bus fund tickets to have a chance to win $300 for the buyer and
seller each or $600 if you bought your own ticket and it was the winning
ticket and if the Columbia Chapter sells the most tickets, $300 will go
toward the chapter treasury at the drawing to be held at the January 31
Statewide Seminar.  The Conference Room is completed and there are still
other things left to do but we are able to use the room again.   Don't
forget to turn in your state and chapter dues of $15 no later than January
31 or your membership will not be in good standing.   Isaiah Nelson
recognized several volunteers for their service throughout 2014 with gift
cards and a special certificate for Gloria Washington for her many years of
outstanding service.  The winner of the 50-50 drawing was Tiffany Mitchell
who won $38 and five more drawings for Piggly Wiggly gift cards went to Gail
Nelson, Darrell Benenhaley, Debbie Manning, Harriett Davis, and Parnell
Diggs.  The meeting was topped off as Dorothy Barksdale recited the one
minute message to President Parnell Diggs perfectly.  For those of you who
don't know it, memorize it!

One minute message:

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back."

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

See you in 2015!

Steve Sheck, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC