[Nfbofsc] FW: Positive Note 1479

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Dec 17 13:32:38 UTC 2014

December 17, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1479

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind saw a
huge turnout for the 2014 Christmas Board Retreat.  We conducted three Board
meetings (including the Rocky Bottom Board, the Federation Center Board, and
the State Board) followed by a celebration of the Christmas Season on
Saturday evening featuring a delicious holiday dinner prepared by Lenora
Robertson and friends and Christmas party.  Lenora really outdid herself
this time with ham and turkey along with everything else.

We were delighted that Gary Wunder, Editor of the Braille Monitor, joined us
for the Retreat.  He was impressed by the facilities owned by the NFB of SC
and about the enthusiasm of our members.  He also had some helpful input to
provide, as did many chapter leaders from across the state.  The buildings
were beautifully decorated and looked better than they have in years in
terms of upkeep and cleanliness.

Gwen Ellenburg is doing a good job as our Resident Manager.  It was good to
see Ralph M. Ellenburg Sr. during the afternoon State Board meeting along
with other members of the Rocky Bottom Advisory Board at the Christmas
party.  In fact, Advisory Board member Barry Chavis joined us for the
weekend and drove the van to make it possible for about ten of us to make
the trip on Friday.

I also want to thank Isaiah Nelson for his help, as usual, in various areas
throughout the weekend.  He is not only a food man and caterer, but he is
happy to help in whatever way he is needed.

At the State Board meeting, I talked about the mailings going out of the
State Office.  In recent weeks, we have been requesting that people opt-in
to continue receiving the Positive Note in print if they would like to do
so.  If you don't mind receiving your Positive Note by email, on the other
hand, you can sign up for the listserv by visiting www.nfbsc.net, or simply
send us an email at nfbsc at sc.rr.com.  You can also elect to receive the
Positive Note in print in 2015 simply by letting us know you want it.

In short, there are three ways you can indicate your interest in receiving
the Positive Note.  Call us, email us, or sign-up for the listserv.  You
should do at least one of these things by the end of the year.  This will
help us update our mailing lists and streamline the delivery of the Positive
Note.

This procedure is similar to what we are doing at the National Office in
terms of the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children magazine,
Future Reflections.  If you want to opt-in, please get in touch with the
National Office at 410-659-9314.

I was proud of Dorothy Barksdale, Debra Canty, and David Houck, all of whom
recited the new Federation One-Minute message at the State Board meeting.
"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back."

I conclude my portion of the Positive Note with the NFB Mission as stated by
Gary Wunder.  "Together with hope, love, and determination, we are
transforming dreams into reality."  Joining me for comments in this Positive
Note is the President Emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

              The 35th annual Christmas board retreat at Rocky Bottom
Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind (RBRCCB) was a huge success.
Some 55 federationists from across the state attended the activities.  There
were federation members from Myrtle Beach, Loris, Georgetown, Summerville,
St. George, Columbia, Camden, Greenville, Rock Hill, Newberry, Anderson,
Bishopville, Sumter, etc.  We were very honored to have for the weekend
festivities Gary Wunder, President if the NFB of Missouri and Editor of the
Braille Monitor.  We were pleased to have had his participation in the board
meetings.  This retreat was the busiest ever as there were three separate
board meetings including RBRCCB, the Federation Center of the Blind and the
NFB of SC.  All four overnight facilities were utilized.  Our Resident
Manager Gwen Ellenburg had taken care of the beautiful Christmas decorations
which were enjoyed by all.  At the Rocky Bottom board meeting I explained
that repairs are urgently needed for the Dr. Samuel Miller Lawton Memorial
Hall.  A licensed building contractor has given us a rock bottom figure of
$6,800 to take care of all these repairs.  I explained that a number of
proposals have been submitted to several foundations requesting financial
assistance.  Meanwhile, I'm asking a large number of members and others who
receive the weekly Positive Note to submit to us your recommendations for
the funding of Lawton Hall repairs.  For more than 30 years, our immediate
past Advisory Board Chairman, Mr. Ralph M. Ellenburg, Sr. had participated
in the annual Christmas board retreats.  Because of illness he retired from
the Advisory Board a few months ago but continues to be interested in Rocky
Bottom.  The Ellenburg Lodge is named in his honor.  We were honored to have
Mr. Ellenburg drop in for the NFB of SC board meeting which he attended for
some one and one-half hours.  The Christmas banquet and party was held
Saturday evening.  Gary Wunder spoke briefly and everyone was pleased to
have him with us for this most enjoyable occasion.  State President Parnell
Diggs was the keynote speaker.  John Sarpy, Chairman of the distinguished
Advisory Board, spoke briefly.  A highlight of the banquet featured a
presentation of the Distinguished Service Award to Chris Merck who
sacrificed several thousands of dollars in making repairs to the different
facilities.  We also welcomed him to the Advisory Board as we do not have a
contractor on the board.  Traditionally, David Houck brings the Christmas
message as we are blessed to have this important presentation.  He did not
disappoint.  As always, President Diggs was in charge of the Christmas
music.  Parnell was enjoyed by everyone.  This was followed by the
distribution of presents.  The final activity of the evening was the most
enjoyable deserts.  Our thanks to Lenora Robertson and her kitchen crew for
their excellent handling of the food service.  Most of us probably ate too
much.  Bright and early Sunday morning everyone departed for their
respective homes across South Carolina.  This Christmas board retreat will
be remembered for a long time as it was outstanding in every respect.

Final Thought:  "A giving spirit should not just be limited to Christmas
time."