[Nfbofsc] Fw: Positive Note 1435

NFBSC Office nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Fri Feb 14 16:38:22 UTC 2014

February 12, 2014

Memo To: Executive Officers, Board of Directors, Chapter and Division Presidents and Others

From: Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1435

Dear Fellow Federationists:

          Congratulations to our Grand Strand Chapter on a successful White Cane Demonstration on Saturday, February 8.  Forty-three individuals were in attendance.  The event was designed to show how practically useful the long white cane can be with proper training.

          Those who were interested in obtaining a white cane could complete the simple registration process and request a free white cane from the National Federation of the Blind.  The Grand Strand Chapter may very well benefit by finding some new members; and of course, these fortunate individuals will have the benefit of finding the National Federation of the Blind.

          I am sorry to have to tell you of the death of longtime Rock Hill Chapter member, Betty Ulhlik.  If memory serves, Betty won the $600 chartered bus raffle prize at the Statewide Seminar in 2012 or 2013.  She was in Orlando at the 2013 Convention.  She loved Rocky Bottom and was just there with the Rock Hill Chapter in November.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to our Rock Hill Chapter and to Betty's family.

          I have an announcement from Computer Science and Technology Division President, Steve Cook.  Here is what he says.  "As promised, the CSTD is having another Apple IOS (Operating system that runs apple products) class on February 22, 2014, from 10:00 to 3:00 at the Federation Center at 119 S Kilbourne Rd. in Columbia.  The price for this class is $10 per person, which includes lunch.  We are planning to order pizza for lunch and drinks will be provided.

          This class is going to be for beginners to intermediate users using Voice Over.  Anyone can attend that has an iPhone, iPad, iPod or who is just interested in the abilities of these devices being used with voice over.  Volunteer instructors will break up in to individual groups.  Each instructor will cover specific apps in their group.  At the end of the group's allotted time, attendees can go to another group of their choosing.  If you have any suggestions on what apps you would like for an instructor to cover, send them to cookcafe at sc.rr.com or call Steve at 803 254 0222.

          Due to the large number of apps available, there may not be an instructor familiar with your request, but we will do our best to accommodate you.  We will send out an agenda once it has been finalized.  To sign up for this class, contact Steve Cook using the above stated contact information.  Thank you for your interest and participation!"

          I hope you are making plans to join us at the 2014 State Leadership Seminar on March 1 to learn about recruiting, fundraising, running meetings, and all of the nuts and bolts involved in the work chapters are doing in communities across the state.  We need all chapter presidents and State Board members at the Federation Center at 10:30 AM.  The Seminar will conclude by 3:00 PM and will feature a complementary working lunch.  Joining me for comments in this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

          Just as President Diggs was announcing the death of our Rock Hill Chapter member, Betty Uhilk, the state office was receiving information that Peggy Stogner had passed away.  She was 88.  For some time Peggy and her husband Penrose "Pinky" Stogner had been confined to a care facility in Florence.  She and Penrose were very involved in our Hartsville and Darlington County Chapters.  The two of them headed up these chapters for many years.  It was my privilege to visit with the Stogners in their Hartsville home on several occasions.  First, let us extend our sympathy to Penrose who will desperately grieve Peggy's death.  We also extend our condolences to the survivors of Peggy.  She will be missed by her many friends.

          I'm sure all of you who read the monthly Presidential Release are pleased to note in the February Presidential Release Dr. Maurer gave prominent coverage of President Diggs campaign for Attorney General.  The Presidential Release is disseminated nationally and internationally.

          As all of you know, we will be celebrating the 70th anniversary of the NFB of SC this year which will no doubt include much coverage from the past.  It seems timely to have a flashback from the past and, therefore, I'm asking you to join me as we travel down memory lane for a state convention occurring in the mid 1990's.  It is as follows.

          The kickoff to the NFB of SC's second half century of service was held August 4-6, 1995 at the Adam's Mark Hotel in Columbia with Dr. Maurer as our national representative.  Friday morning featured a well attended JOB Seminar with the remainder of the day including convention registration, a lavish Reception, Divisional meetings of the NFB of SC, Resolutions and other committee meetings.

          Saturday morning's session included greetings from various federationists and dignitaries, a SCSDB report by President Joseph Finnegan, a Braille Literacy Panel, and concluded with an informative Presidential Report by President Donald Capps.  The keynote luncheon speaker was the Honorable Judge Joe Anderson who reviewed the Ben Rushton child custody case.  The afternoon session featured Honorable Joyce Hearn who encouraged blind individuals to get active in state government.    Chris Danielsen spoke concerning successfully applying as an analyst with the Judiciary Committee.  Other topics included Newsline, the Federation Center report featuring its Computer Lab, the Rocky Bottom report featuring the need for a ten bedroom, two story facility (Ellenburg Lodge) and a children's camp report, a report from the State Library for the Blind by Guynell Williams, and the Bus Fund report in preparation for the 1996 Anaheim NFB convention.  The evening Banquet was attended by well over 300.  Joseph Finnegan, President of SCSDB received the Presidential Citation.  The Lee, Clarendon, Saluda and Jasper Chapters received their charters, now totaling 50 chapters.  Award recipients included Priscilla Spain receiving the Educator of the Year Award, Air South the Employer of the Year Award, Louise Odom the Ellen Beach Mack Home Award, Martha Robertson the Associate Member Award, Geraldine Craft the Donald C. Capps Award, William Richardson the Distinguished Service Award, and a record breaking 15 deserving blind college students received NFB of SC scholarships.  All this was climaxed with a rousing and educational speech by Marc Maurer. The Sunday morning's session included the Devotional and Memorial Service, chapter and division reports, resolutions, financial reports, White Cane report, national stewardship reports and elections.  These elected were Mary Middleton, Bob Bell, Yvonne Offord, Edsel Doyle and Ed Bible.  Our second half century got kicked off to a very good start.

          Friday is Valentine's Day and I'm reminding all of you fellas to be sure to remember your sweethearts on this occasion.

Final Thought:  "The only person to get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Carouso."