[Nfbofsc] Letter to Senate Judiciary Committee Members

Parnell Diggs parnell at sccoast.net
Sun Feb 23 16:17:30 UTC 2014

Colleagues,

I have been asked to provide a guideline for letters being sent to members
of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is considering the SC Blind Persons
Right to Parent Act, S. 687, this Tuesday at 3:00 PM in room 105 of the
Gressette Building.  Be sure to change the letter slightly to reflect your
own personality and style, but include a paragraph like this.

On this coming Tuesday afternoon, February 25, the Senate Judiciary
Committee will consider S. 687, the SC Blind Persons Right to Parent Act
introduced by Senator Larry Martin of Pickens.  I am writing to urge you to
support this legislation.  S. 687 prohibits discrimination against blind
South Carolinians in child custody matters.  I would appreciate your
allowing this important initiative to receive consideration by the Senate.

This is the basic information you need to draft your letter.  If the
Judiciary Committee passes S. 687 on Tuesday, it will move to the Senate
Floor for a vote.  If it does not pass on Tuesday, it could be tied up and
die in the Committee at the end of the Session in June.  Thus, we need to
stay on top of this bill and ask members of the Judiciary Committee to give
S. 687 favorable consideration.   Thanks for all you do.

Parnell

Parnell Diggs, Esq.

President

National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina