[Nfbofsc] Sumter Chapter of the NFB Newsletter July 11, 2014

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Jul 15 18:02:24 UTC 2014

I received the checks in today's mail

David Houck

From: Nfbofsc [mailto:nfbofsc-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Debra Canty
via Nfbofsc
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 1:04 PM
To: NFB of SC Mailing List 2014
Subject: [Nfbofsc] Sumter Chapter of the NFB Newsletter July 11, 2014

Sumter Chapter Newsletter for July 11, 2014

The Sumter Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind is as busy as
ever. We had 3 new members to join, Leander Eaddy, Debra Koger and Beatrice
Oyekan and Debra is the associate member.

Our, July 8th meeting was held with a low turnout of 39 in attendance, some
arrived home on the morning of the meeting.

Thanks to Vice President, Arthur Henry for presiding over the meeting due to
illness of Madam President.

Our guest speaker was Susie Kearney of Safe Federal Credit Union and her
topic was identity theft and how to avoid it happening to you.

Della Sherod won the 50/50 drawing of $39.00 and the meal consists of pizza,
corn on the cob, Little Debbie snack cakes, tea and water. Thanks to the
members who made a donation towards the next meal for our August meeting.

Thanks to Laura, Cassandra and Rosa Lee for hospitality.

Thanks to Judy Simon for singing the HAPPY BIRTHDAY song to 5 of our July
birthday people.

Our chapter had 26 members to attend the national convention   with 11
attending for the first time, who witness the passing of the torch of
presidency from Dr. Marc Maurer to Mark Riccobono.

Martha Gaither, Mable Preston and Janice Samuel were Kenneth Jernigan
scholarship winners!!! Congratulations to them who learned a lot at the
nationals!!!

The first day of convention had 2207 registered and it went up to 2251 and
there were a lot of people there.

Please join the PAC Plan by calling our national center at 410-659-9314 and
ask about how to join the PAC Plan.

We are making plans for the SC State Convention, Fun Day and our upcoming
41st ANNUAL FUNDRAISER CHRISTMAS GALA which will be hosted on Tuesday,
December 9th.

All seats at the gala are $25.00 per attendee and we would like for you to
be there as well. Each table consists of 10 individuals and the name of your
group will be displayed on the table as well as the program. Tables are
being reserved at a rapid rate and planning early is essential to keep it
organized and in order.

Please take a moment and call our recorded 24 hour message line and listen
to more details about our Christmas gala by calling 206-376-5992.

All members are asked to continue with the $5.00 FUN DAY tickets which will
help with the operation of Rocky Bottom.

Tim Reed has relocated to Winston-Salem, North Carolina where he is now
employed and self sufficient and going on with his life.

Wedding bells are ringing for 2 of our associate members; Laura Colclough
and Lee James will be married in holy matrimony on September 27th.

Laura Colclough is the chairperson of our hospitality committee for our
monthly meetings and we really and truly appreciate all that she does.

Dorothy Holland was in the hospital recently.

The sister of our member, Perry Pringle passed on July 5th in New York.

A graveside service will be held today at the Sumter Cemetery at 3:00 p.m.
for the late, David Bryant, who was a faithful member of the Sumter Chapter.

Let us keep each other in prayer.

Thank you to Rev. Dr. William S. and Mrs. Doris Randolph for affording us
the opportunity to meet in their facility.

Respectfully submitted by,

Debra Canty, President

Sumter Chapter of the NFB

P. O. Box 641