[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1451

NFBSC Office via Nfbofsc nfbofsc at nfbnet.org
Wed Jun 4 12:47:22 UTC 2014

June 4, 2014

Memo To: Executive Officers, Board of Directors, Chapter and Division Presidents and Others

From: Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1451

Dear Fellow Federationists:

          I begin this Positive Note with the "One-Minute Speech" adopted by the National Federation of the Blind Board of Directors at a recent Board meeting.  You have seen it in the last several Positive Notes by design because I want you to become familiar with it.  Please commit it to memory and, when you are asked to describe our organization, please recite the following.

          The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.  You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.  This is our message.  Please learn it and share it.

          The NFB of SC State Convention will be here in two months.  The hotel is now accepting room reservations.  You need to make your reservations soon, as we are receiving inquiries from across the state and other states as well.  The 2014 State Convention will be well-attended.  Please make your reservations by calling 800-327-6465 or 803-771-7000.

          The rate is $89 per night for the weekend of August 8 through 10.  Mark Riccobono will be our national representative.  The Convention will come at the close of the first NFB of SC Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) Program, which is directed toward positive exposure to Braille for elementary school-age blind children.

          I have an announcement from Shannon Cook, the Chair of the NFB of SC Scholarship Committee.  Here is what she says.  "We are pleased to have nine scholarship applicants for the 2014/2015 academic year.  This is a good time to discuss donating to the metro fund with your chapter or division.  Obviously, this will be a highly competitive year for these applicants.

          Also, if your chapter or division is planning to give a scholarship, please let David Houck know, so we can begin to compile our list of scholarships to be awarded.  We look forward to seeing everyone at the state convention to award these students funds to help further their educational goals and to further the cause of the NFB."

          In just under three months, we will be conducting Fun Day at Rocky Bottom; and this year, we will be holding a Barbecue "Pig-Picking" on Saturday from 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM.  At the April 5 Rocky Bottom Board meeting, the Board and other leaders in attendance discussed the importance of chapter participation during the entire weekend at Rocky Bottom.

          If your chapter would like to drive up on Saturday morning, for example, you can easily arrive by 2:00 PM, enjoy the Pig-Picking and auction (which will be on Saturday as well) and stay for the weekend.  Or, if you need to return home the same day, you can depart on Saturday after enjoying a day of barbecue and fun.  But please stay if you can.

          For those who do stay for the weekend, we will finish earlier on Monday so that members can return home before it gets too late.  This schedule will also encourage residents of the Rocky Bottom community to choose from several days of activities and promote participation over three days rather than just on Monday.

          Incidentally, Monday's festivities will be highlighted by a yard sale early in the day with members from across the state being able to depart by midday.  Joining me for comments in this Positive Note to talk more about Fun Day is the President Emeritus of the NFB of SC and Chairman of the Rocky Bottom Board of Directors.  Here is Dr. Capps.

          Things are in full swing at RBRCCB.  Some two weeks ago the senior camp was held with participants from all across the state.  We are proud of our senior camp program as some of us feel that the senior blind do not have as many services as the younger blind.  The Columbia Chapter enjoyed their visit over the Memorial Day weekend with good participation.  Next week is children's camp and we are informed by its Director Tracy Spittle that there will be an excellent number from across the state.  The public visits our facilities during the summer months more so than during the winter season which is understandable.  One of our biggest rentals is Rock Springs Baptist Church of Easley which has been coming to Rocky Bottom for many summers.  The revenue from this big rental is very helpful.  As recently reported, we are following through on the recommended repairs to our facilities by the recent meeting of our Advisory Board.   We were pleased that our Advisory Board recommended that Advisory Board member Barry Chavis along with Gwen Ellenburg (daughter of our lifetime honorary member Ralph Ellenburg) determine the needed repairs and proceed with the work.  Gwen Ellenburg had been working closely with several businesses in Easley to secure needed materials.  We are fortunate in having the service of Gwen who is on the scene and providing excellent information.  Our longtime Board of Directors member Dr. Tom Bowen has helped us by recommending a very reputable contractor, Mr. Chris Merck.  Dr. Bowen has utilized the services on his residence by Mr. Merck.  We are grateful for Dr. Bowen's advice as it's important to have the best possible contractor make the repairs on our facilities.

          It's not too early to be thinking about the annual Labor Day Fun Day Festival which we have been celebrating for over 30 years.  Once again the Board of Directors of RBRCCB got together an excellent package for the Fun Day Festival.  Participants will enjoy three nights and seven meals over the Labor Day weekend for only $30.  Three meals will be served on Saturday, August 30, three meals will be served on Sunday, August 31, and breakfast on Monday, September 1.  Lenora Robertson who heads up our food service will once again be in charge of the delicious meals which she and her kitchen crew prepare.    I know of nowhere you can enjoy three nights in the mountains and seven meals for only $30.  We need to concentrate on selling the $5 Fun Day tickets which were distributed to all chapters and divisions last January.  To date the following sales have been made by the following chapters:  Sumter Chapter 50 tickets, Columbia Chapter 30 tickets, Chesterfield Chapter 10 tickets and Summerville Chapter 2 tickets. Extensive repairs taking place on the facilities are going to be very expensive and our statewide membership has an opportunity to help with this expense by working very hard in selling the $5 tickets.  Remember, the winning ticket drawn gets the seller $50, the buyer $500 or if you bought your own ticket you get $550!  Also, the chapter selling the most tickets gets $300 for its treasury.   The same schedule of activities during the Labor Day weekend will be in effect with the exception of the auction which will be held on Saturday afternoon rather than on Monday as this will provide for maximum participation in the auction and not having to worry about leaving early because of travel.  As we celebrate the 75th anniversary of our national organization and the 70th anniversary of the NFB of SC, it is appropriate to point out that we are celebrating the 35th anniversary of RBRCCB.

Final Thought:  Written by renowned hymn writer Fannie Crosby at age 8:

"Oh what a happy soul I am, Although I cannot see;

I am resolved that in this world, Contented I will be.
How many blessings I enjoy, That other people don't;
To weep and sigh because I'm blind, I cannot, and I won't."