[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1452

NFBSC Office nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jun 11 12:30:08 UTC 2014

June 11, 2014

Memo To: Executive Officers, Board of Directors, Chapter and Division Presidents and Others

From: Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1452

Dear Fellow Federationists:

          The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.  You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.  This is our message.  Please learn it and share it.

          Last Friday, June 6, I had an opportunity to visit with staff of the Marriott Hotel in Columbia to talk about the State Convention.  We were last in Columbia in 2011, and we are looking forward to returning to the Columbia Marriott.  This is also the feeling of the staff, as many of them remember us.  Here are some details that you will need to plan your Convention experience.

          Please make your reservations by calling 803-771-7000, and remember the deadline is July 10.  The room rates are $89 per night plus tax.  Parking is complementary as long as you don't sk for valet parking.  As hotel staff explained to me on Friday, they will park your car for you and return it to you upon checkout for $22 per day.

          In other words, if you want complementary parking, don't use the valet service.  The hotel will be providing our food service for Friday evening and breakfast on Saturday and Sunday.  The Reception will begin at 7:30 PM.  Our colleagues in the Columbia Chapter are working hard to put together an excellent Reception theme and program for us.

          Preregistration is $65.  Please preregister so we can plan appropriately.  This fee will cover the cost of food at the Convention.  Preregistration will conclude on August 1.  After that time, the price will be $70.  Our registration fees remain among the lowest in the nation, especially taking into consideration all of the Convention activities the single registration fee covers.

          On Saturday, June 28, 2014, the Computer Science & Technology Division will have a class on a variety of apps from 10:00 to 4:00 at the Federation Center of the Blind.  Contact Steve Cook at cookcafe at sc.rr.com or (803) 254-0222 for more information or to register for the class.  The price is $10 if you preregister or $15 the day of the event.

          I had the pleasure of traveling to Greenville on June 7 to enjoy a Saturday picnic with our Greenville Chapter and its fine President, JW Smith.  More than fifty individuals were present.  I spoke to the group about upcoming NFB of SC activities and enjoyed delicious food prepared by our Greenville Chapter members.  They are looking forward to being in Columbia this August.

          I hope you had an opportunity to vote in yesterday's Primary Election!  I am proud to be the Democratic Nominee for Attorney General in the General Election on November 4.  On June 22, we are holding a General Election campaign kickoff in Myrtle Beach with barbecue provided by a cousin of Levern Wilson for a minimum donation of $10 per plate.  You are cordially invited.

          Levern tells me that this recipe is the same recipe he uses for his barbecue which has now become famous in the NFB of SC.  I realize that it is a drive for some; but for those who can make it, we will gather from 4:00 - 6:00 PM at 5000 Pine Lakes Dr. on Sunday afternoon, June 22.  If you cannot be there, additional events are being planned in other parts of the state.  Joining me for comments in this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

          It was our pleasure to spend last weekend at Rocky Bottom.  Upon our arrival we were met be Elsie Duncan our Resident Manager who was jubilant telling us that Oglesby Cottage has a new deck, new sliding doors and other repairs.  The Oglesby Cottage which is 30 years old, is a popular mountain chalet used throughout the year by both blind and sighted.  Our contractor Chris Merck and his crew worked all day Friday and Saturday in getting Oglesby Cottage a needed face lift.  By the way, Chris Merck is related to Darlene Houck whose maiden name was also Merck.  I believe his relationship to Darlene increased his motivation to work hard in getting the repairs done.  We enjoyed spending time with Elsie Duncan who feels good about things taking place at RBRCCB.  I also spent time with Tracy and Thom Spittle and it was obvious that they had children's camp well organized with children from all across the state including one from Marion which is a long ways from RBRECCB.  Thom told me that the worker which had been scheduled to handle the food service had become ill and had to cancel out.  He asked me if it would be all right for Gwen Ellenburg to serve as cook as she was willing to handle this important responsibility.  Thanks Gwen.  I also had the privilege of spending time with Gwen who has been very instrumental in working with the contractor including the purchase of needed materials.

          The Labor Day Fun Day Festival is less than three months away.  Once again we will have to rely upon many federationists to carry out the different activities of Fun Day.  At the April board meeting of RBRCCB, "this year's Labor Day Fun Day Festival will include the Auction, BINGO and the Fun Day ticket drawing on Saturday along with a possible pig picking from 2:00 to 8:00 p.m.  Sunday will include an afternoon gospel singing.  Monday will feature a yard sale, hot dogs and hamburgers, T-shirt sales and the Old Country Store from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.  The weekend guests will pay $30 for their weekend food as usual.  It was suggested that a flyer go out to members of the Rocky Bottom community concerning all the details with Dr. Bowen's help."  State President Parnell Diggs will be in charge of the auction and he will need the assistance of Advisory Board member Barry Chavis.  Once again, Kim Diggs will be in charge of the Old Country Store.  The sale of T-shirts, sweatshirts, caps, etc. will be handled by Frank Cpoppel.  Alma Lee Doyle, as in the past, will be handling the yard sale.  David Houck will be handling the Fun Day ticket sales.  Lenora Robertson will once again be in charge of the food service for the seven meals and for the lunch on Monday.  Let's make plans to have the biggest turn out for the Fun Day Festival in the more than 30 years this annual affair has taken place.

          Jennifer Bazer, a member of the Columbia Chapter, made an inspiring presentation at the chapter meeting Thursday evening, June 5.  She talked about her excellent presentation to the legislative committees in the success in influencing the legislators in the passage of the Blind Persons Right to Parent Bill.  Jennifer has our gratitude.  Jennifer Bazer and her husband Jeff are blind parents and the have two small children.

          While at RBRCCB, JJ, our resident duck, informed me that he was going to the national convention in Orlando.  He will be in Orlando where Disney World is located and I understand from JJ that he plans to meet Donald Duck.  JJ wants to develop a partnership between him and Donald Duck.    Good luck JJ.  By the way, JJ's family includes five drakes and two hens.  Just a little humor which we need from time to time.  Final Thought:  "You can act as a character but it is much harder to forge your own character."