[Nfbofsc] RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON CORRECTION

NFBSC Office via Nfbofsc nfbofsc at nfbnet.org
Thu May 22 15:37:09 UTC 2014

May 22, 2014

Memo To:  Members of the Resolutions Committee, Chapter and      Division Presidents and Others

From:  Valerie warrington, NFB of SC Resolutions Committee            Chairperson

RE: Resolutions for the 2014 Convention

Dear Fellow Federationists:

          As all of you know, the 2014 State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina is fast approaching, and with the convention comes the annual meeting of the Resolutions Committee.  The Committee is responsible for reporting resolutions to the convention for its approval.  This process is extremely important, as resolutions are the "legislation" of the NFB of SC and set the organization's policies and priorities for the coming Federation year.

          The Resolutions Committee is responsible for reporting resolutions to the convention, but it does not bear the sole responsibility for formulating them.  The ideas for resolutions come from our members, who are generally most in touch with the problems which blind South Carolinians are experiencing on a day-to-day basis.  These problems are the issues that the Federation seeks to address in its mission of improving the quality of life for the blind of South Carolina and the nation.  Thus, what we on the Committee hear from you and your members is extremely important in crafting resolutions for the Federation's convention to consider.

          While the Resolutions Committee always accepts suggestions from members as to what policies the Federation should adopt and pursue, we need your help in making sure that the process works efficiently.  As in past years, I am asking that proposed resolutions be submitted in writing prior to the Resolutions Committee's meeting at the State Convention or by July 25.  The Committee traditionally meets on Friday.  In prior years the institution of the policy of requesting resolutions in writing, members often had to work late into the night to draft resolutions for the Convention's consideration.  As it is, the Committee still finds itself working on resolutions until the last minute, so any assistance you can give us in making the process more efficient will be greatly appreciated.

          I am asking that members with resolution ideas they want the Committee to consider submit them in writing at least two weeks prior to the Resolutions Committee Meeting, or by July 25.  While the Chairman reserves the right to consider resolutions presented after that date, the Chairman also reserves the right to rule resolutions not submitted prior to the Committee's meeting out of order, and such resolutions are subject to a vote by the Committee to table them until its next meeting.

          If you need assistance in drafting a resolution, the Committee is happy to help and will work to get any written proposal into a form which can be considered and adopted by the Convention.  All we ask is that you provide us with a sense of what you believe should be done and the reasons it should be done.  If you have ideas for resolutions you would like considered for adoption by the convention or to submit resolutions in writing, you may contact me at Resolutions Committee Chairperson, Valerie Warrington, 384 Cannon Ridge Lane, Newberry, SC 29108 or by email at vwarrington at hughes.net.  I am asking the chapter and division presidents to provide their membership with this information.  I look forward to hearing from members across the state as we prepare for the coming year in this big program of service to the blind.