[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1450

NFBSC Office via Nfbofsc nfbofsc at nfbnet.org
Wed May 28 11:58:28 UTC 2014

May 28, 2014

Memo To: Executive Officers, Board of Directors, Chapter and Division Presidents and Others

From: Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1450

Dear Fellow Federationists:

          The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise expectations because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.  You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.  This is our message.  Please learn it and spread it everywhere.

          You have just a few more days to preregister for the National Convention.  Get a form in the Braille Monitor, and mail it in by May 31, or visit www.nfb.org to complete the online form.  You can save money by preregistering and avoid standing in long lines at the Convention.

          When you arrive, simply pick up your packet and enjoy your day.  The chartered bus will get to the hotel on July 1 and will depart on July 7.  During that time, we will elect a new National President and plan for the leadership of the future of the National Federation of the Blind.

          If you listened to the Presidential Release from December of 2013, you know that Dr. Maurer is not planning to be a candidate for President in 2014.  He and I will be supporting Mark Riccobono for this important position.  I bring this up to convey how vital it is that you be there for the historic events of 2014.  I hope you can make it.

          The Columbia Marriott is now accepting hotel reservations for the State Convention, and this is going to be a good one with representation from communities across South Carolina and other states as well.  Please make your reservations by calling 800-327-6465 or 803-771-7000.

          The rate is $89 per night for the weekend of August 8 through 10.  Incidentally, Mark Riccobono will be our national representative.  The summertime is always busy in the Federation with Conventions, Fun Day, chapter meetings, and social activities to keep us occupied.

          But in 2014, the NFB of SC will be one of twenty-four states to host a Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning program.  Jennifer Duffel-Hoffman, President of the South Carolina Organization for Parents of Blind Children, is working with Cherokee County Chapter President, Jamie Allison, to put this initiative together.

          Congratulations to President Jennifer Duffell-Hoffman for landing a Dollar General Literacy Foundation Summer Reading Program Grant in the amount of $2000 for the BELL program.  Jennifer and Jamie are doing great work on this first BELL initiative to take place in South Carolina.  The program runs from July 28 through August 8, and chapters are invited to support it with donations made out to the South Carolina Organization for Parents of Blind Children.

          On Saturday, June 28, 2014, the Computer Science & Technology Division will have a class on a variety of apps from 10:00 to 4:00 at the Federation Center of the Blind.  Contact Steve Cook at cookcafe at sc.rr.com or (803) 254-0222 for more information or to register for the class.  The price is $10 if you preregister or $15 the day of the event.

          I conclude my portion of the Positive Note with an announcement from Shelley Coppel, President of our Blind Senior Division.  Here is what she says.  "The Senior Division is going to have a table in the exhibit hall.  We are going to sell raffle tickets for a first prize of a Nu Wave Pro Convection Oven including baking dishes, and for a second prize a mini Keurig coffee maker.  We will be selling the tickets for $2 per ticket or 3 tickets for $5.  The drawing for this raffle will be at the Statewide Seminar in January of 2015.

Thank you all for supporting our growing and enthusiastic Senior Division!"  Joining me for comments in this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

          Having joined in with the seniors at their dinner meeting Sunday evening, May 18, and observing how happy everyone was with laughter and excellent fellowship, I revealed that my lifelong dream had been converted into reality.  Having listened to the two seniors who briefly appeared before the Advisory Board meeting on Monday, May 19, and hearing about these seniors expressing their gratitude about Senior Camp with one stating that it was her "vacation," I realized again that my dream 35 years ago had come true.  In October 1978, I traveled to Easley to meet with a bank official who was also Chairman of the Pickens County Council and requested his cooperation in having the 4-H Camp property given to the NFB of SC for development.  I told the gentleman that we would develop the property with construction of facilities, etc.  At that time 35 years ago we did not have any money to develop the aforementioned property but faith was unlimited as I felt in my heart and soul that we would indeed be successful in this project despite the magnitude of the challenge.  .  Year after year after October 1978 we met our commitments.  In January 1980, some 15 months after the October 1978 meeting, construction began on the Osterneck Cottage at a price tag of some $150,000.  With the help of many, we raised the $150,000.  Some 12 months later in December 1980, the first Christmas retreat was held in Osterneck Cottage.  Four years later in 1984, Oglesby Cottage was completed at a cost of about $100,000.  The funds were raised.  In the late 1990's, at a cost of about $100,000, extensive renovation was completed on the Lawton Hall.  The development continued.  Groundbreaking was held for the Conference Center in 1990 with a price tag of about a half million dollars.  The funds were raised.  In July of 1991 the Conference Center was dedicated with Governor Campbell serving as keynote speaker.  The Ralph M. Ellenburg, Sr. Lodge was dedicated in May 1999 with a price tag of some $250,000.  The funds were raised.  A year later in the year 2000, an extensive renovation of Osterneck Cottage was carried out at a cost of $150,000.  The funds were raised.  We also funded the swimming pool which was opened in 1982 at a cost of $25,000.  The funds were raised.  It costs about $75,000 annually to cover the operating expenses.  Together we have generated these funds but there have been many challenges.  The infrastructure of RBRCCB is substantial.  In the very near future construction will begin on repairs needed on Lawton Hall and Osterneck Cottage.  The costs will be substantial.  Together let's raise the funds to cover the needed repairs.  Hopefully there are many of you out there who read this Positive Note who will recognize the urgency of these infrastructure repairs which are sorely needed.  Please make your check payable to "RBRCCB Repairs."  Thank you for your help.

Final Thought:  "Of some have compassion, making a difference." - Jude 1:22