[Nfbofsc] Senior Newsletter

Melanie Torrance melanietorrance at icloud.com
Mon Nov 3 16:33:43 UTC 2014

Please post this to the NFB list.

Thanks

Melanie Torrance

 From the President:

Greetings to all from your president!  I want to wish all of you a wonderful fall season.  The weather has been great, and many of us are involved in our “Meet the Blind Month” activities.

We are going into our third year of having our Senior Division.  We have grown and are currently sponsoring a drawing which will be held at our Statewide Seminar, January 31st in Columbia.  We are raffling off: 1st prize-a Nu Wave Pro Convection oven; 2nd prize-a mini Keurig coffee maker with 4 boxes of K cups; and 3rd prize- a $25 gift card.  The tickets sell for: 1 ticket for $2; or 3 tickets for $5.  They can be acquired from me, Shelley Coppel, or by calling David Houck at the Federation Center for the Blind in Columbia, SC.

We have acquired literature about blind seniors which can be acquired for educational purposes, speaking engagements, fund raising efforts on behalf of the Senior Division, or just to hand out when you meet someone who has a need to learn about blindness.  We also have a small aids and appliance collection which can be acquired at the cost of the item, by calling me and making a request.  We will send the item “free matter” and not charge for either shipping or taxes.   We also meet twice a year at Camp Rocky Bottom for a Senior Camp.  This is corrdinated with assistance through the Commission for the Blind.  They provide transportation and send their older blind counselor who helps us with understanding what the Commission can provide as far as services to the senior blind population.  These camps are held the third weeks of both September and May, from Sunday afternoon to Thursday morning just after breakfast.  We encourage you to come to camp or to spread the word to other individuals you may know who are experiencing significant vision loss or have lost their sightand need to find hope

My goals for our Senior Division include, but are not limited to:

Starting  support groups

Provide training in the adaptive skills of blindness:use of the white cane, alternative forms of writing, adaptations in the kitchen, basic computer literacy, other

Fund raising: for the purpose of assisting individuals to participate in state activities of the National Federation of the Blind

This list may be altered as needs arise. I do hope that everyone will feel free to call and join in with our activities! We would sincerely like to help you! Please call or email me at anytime with your thoughts, suggestions, or concerns.

Sincerely,

Shelley Coppel, President

frankandshelley51 at gmail.com

803-796-8662

FROM THE PUMPKIN PATCH

Did you know that recently revised standards of the HUSCC recommend that we eat 3 servings of ORANGE and green vegies ( 2 of which must be different) per week? Since a can of pure pumpkin is surely in your cupboard, here are a few quick and easy recipes to satisfy your craving for orange and to meet general nutrition requirements. Remember these recipes are for pure pumpkin and NOT pumpkin pie filling!

1.  Put ¼ cup in with your oatmeal before cooking. Add some cinnamon.

2.  Do the same thing with plain Greek yogurt. Mix cold and enjoy.

3.  3. Add one cup to your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe before baking.

4.   Heat on top of stove with raisins or pineapple added.

HOPE THIS PUTS YOU IN THE FALL SPIRIT!

THE CORNER FOR HUMOR

This is early but it is "only" hum

or so just enjoy and hope it brings a

chuckle:

On the first day of rehab my counselor gave to me a white cane because I

cannot see.

On the second day of rehab my counselor gave to me two talking books, and a

white cane because I cannot see.

On the third day of rehab my counselor gave to me three Braille Lites, two

talking books, and a white cane because I cannot see.

On the fourth day of rehab my counselor gave to me four talking clocks,

three Braille Lites, two talking books, and a white cane because I cannot

see.

On the fifth day of rehab my counselor gave to me five years of school, four

talking clocks, three Braille Lites, two talking books, and a white cane

because I cannot see.

On the sixth day of rehab my counselor gave to me Six dogs a-guiding, five

years of school, four talking clocks, three Braille Lites, two talking

books, and a white cane because I cannot see.

On the 7th day of rehab my counselor gave to me Seven jobs applying, Six

dogs a-guiding, five years of school, four talking clocks, three Braille

Lites, two talking books, and a white cane because I cannot see.

On the eighth day of rehab my counselor gave to me eight counselors

counseling, Seven jobs applying, Six dogs a-guiding, five years of school,

four talking clocks, three Braille Lites, two talking books, and a white

cane because I cannot see.

On the ninth day of rehab my counselor gave to me nine authorizations for

filling, eight counselors counseling, Seven jobs applying, Six dogs

a-guiding, five years of school, four talking clocks, three Braille Lites,

two talking books, and a white cane because I cannot see.

On the tenth day of rehab my counselor gave to me ten scanners reading, nine

authorizations for filling, eight counselors counseling, Seven jobs

applying, Six dogs a-guiding, five years of school, four talking clocks,

three Braille Lites, two talking books, and a white cane because I cannot

see.

On the 11th day of rehab my counselor gave to me eleven magnifiers

enlarging, ten scanners reading, nine authorizations for filling, eight

counselors counseling, Seven jobs applying, Six dogs a-guiding, five years

of school, four talking clocks, three Braille Lites, two talking books, and

a white cane because I cannot see.

On the 12th day of rehab my counselor gave to me twelve computers talking,

eleven magnifiers enlarging, ten scanners reading, nine authorizations for

filling, eight counselors counseling, Seven jobs applying, Six dogs

a-guiding, five years of school, four talking clocks, three Braille Lites,

two talking books, and a white cane because I cannot see.

AND I STILL DON'T HAVE A JOB!

DATES TO REMEMBER: January 31st-State Wide Convention

10-4pm at the Federation Center in Columbia.

From your editor-

We would welcome your thoughts and suggestions about YOUR newsletter. Anyone is welcome to write about their experiences being a blind member of your own community. Let me know if those with low vision can read this. Our next edition will be in February, so think about suggestions and call me at (803) 445-5900       Melanie Torrance, Senior Board member at large.

melanietorrance at me.com

ŸÅ