[Nfbofsc] COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Sat Nov 15 20:19:35 UTC 2014

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

NOVEMBER 14, 2014

FREE BINGO NIGHT

Thursday, November 20 will be our Free Bingo Night sponsored by the
Telephone Pioneers.  Bingo begins at 7:00 p.m.  Call David Houck at the
Federation Center by 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 19 to reserve your
seat on the van.

OPPORTUNITIES FOR SERVICE

              I heard from a number of members following a meeting at the
Federation Center a week ago inquiring about the meeting.  I understand that
Thom Spittle set up the meeting to find ways of doing fundraising and other
positive things for the Federation Center and possibly for the chapter.  I
am offering Thom Spittle a few minutes on the December agenda to discuss any
positive ways the chapter and its members can get involved in making a
positive difference in support of the federation.  Let's make 2015 a great
year for the blind we serve!

COLUMBIA CHAPTER MEETING

              Last night's Columbia Chapter Thanksgiving meeting was a real
blessing as the Church of the Harvest presented a feast for all of us.  We
had so many present that we used our Conference Room for the first time to
set up tables and chairs for many of the some 30 church volunteers to use.
Pastor Ken Jumper made an inspiring devotional on blind Bartimaeus following
the beautiful singing of hymns by Levone Stack.  Everyone had a great time
and the room was filled with joy and singing.

              David Houck gave the Center report concerning progress in
finishing up the Conference Room which is just about complete.  The $1
Orlando Bus Fund tickets are starting to come in and extra tickets were
distributed during the meeting.  However, do not become complacent because
the Sumter Chapter requested an additional 1,000 bus tickets a week ago and
Rock Hill requested an extra 300 yesterday.  The winner of the drawing on
January 31 at the Statewide Seminar will receive $300 for the buyer and $300
for the seller of the winning ticket.  If you bought your own, you will
receive $600!  The chapter selling the most tickets will also receive $300
for its treasury.

              Phil Watridge gave the Treasurer's report and $47 was the
winning prize on the 50-50 drawing which was won by Barry Chavis.
Congratulations Barry!  Finally, Levone Stack did the benediction by singing
"America the Beautiful."

By the December chapter meeting there will be 2015 print calendars featuring
photos from SC federation activities.  These calendars will sell for $5 and
will benefit the Federation Center of the Blind.  The Center does have a
limited supply of 2015 Braille pocket calendars which are at no cost.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving and if we don't see you at Bingo, we hope to see
all of you at our December 11 Christmas meeting which will be sponsored by
Haskell Heights Baptist Church.

Steve Sheck, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC