[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1475

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Nov 19 13:50:33 UTC 2014

November 19, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1475

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              Let me begin this Positive Note with a reminder about the
Christmas Board Retreat at Rocky Bottom during the weekend of December 12
through 14.  Chapter Presidents are requested to attend whether they are on
the Board or not.  This will be the first time all three Boards have met
during the same gathering.  I am of course talking about the Rocky Bottom
Board, the State Board, and the Federation Center Board, which became a
statewide body in January of 2014.

This will be a huge meeting in terms of planning, and we need your ideas, so
please plan to come and participate in all meetings.  We need to plan
appropriately regarding meals, lodging, and scheduling.  This means that we
need to hear from you.  Please tell us if you are coming and when.

There will be a Christmas party and gift exchange on Saturday evening.  If
possible, please bring one gift (valued at approximately $10).  So that
everyone will receive an appropriate gift, we ask that men please bring a
man's gift; and we ask that women bring a woman's gift.  Just write "men" or
"women" on the gift and place it under the Christmas tree in the dining hall
upon arrival.

It is also good to have sweets at the Christmas party, so please bring those
holiday favorites to be shared on Saturday evening after the gift exchange.
It will be fun to celebrate the Holiday season with our Federation family
after Board meetings throughout the day.

Soon, we will start the process of transitioning many of our customary
mailings to the membership to email rather than hard copy.  This is because
of an obvious cost savings but also due to the way business is now
conducted.  If you would like to receive the Positive Note in hard copy
print or Braille, you may opt-in by simply calling the State Office and
letting us know.

If you don't mind receiving your Positive Note by email, you can sign up for
the listserv by visiting www.nfbscnet.org, or simply send us an email at
nfbsc at sc.rr.com.  Thus, there are three ways you can indicate your interest
in receiving the Positive Note.  Call us, email us, or sign-up for the
listserv.  You should do at least one of these things by the end of the
year.

On Sunday afternoon, there was a meeting of the South Carolina Organization
of Blind Students, and a new President was elected.  Francina Knight needed
to handle some personal matters and felt that she should resign so that she
could handle those personal responsibilities.  The new President is Malik
Beckett.  Congratulations to Malik on being elected to the Student Division
Presidency!

Many former presidents of this South Carolina Organization of Blind Students
have become leaders at the state level.  Our students are doing great work,
and we are continuing to look for energy and enthusiasm from this division.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              As all of you know, Thanksgiving is the most celebrated
holiday of the year with the exception of Christmas.  The Pilgrims who were
enduring hardships took time out to celebrate Thanksgiving.  The nation has
continuously observed this important holiday.  I'm afraid too often we take
some of our blessings for granted.  There are many who go the extra mole in
assisting others.  I'm particularly reminded of The Harvest Church in
Lexington which has provided a Thanksgiving dinner for the Columbia Chapter
for many years. Rev. Ken Jumper is the Pastor of the Church of the Harvest
and he and his late wife Connie were members of the chapter for many years.
The ladies of the church prepared and served the Thanksgiving dinner
consisting of turkey, ham, deserts and all the trimmings.  Some 100 members
of the chapter were present.  Thus, in both October and November the
Columbia Chapter had outstanding attendance.  I believe that this will be
repeated again for the chapter's Christmas meeting.  Isaiah Nelson who is a
member of the state board, the Center's Board of Trustees as well as the
Columbia Chapter has arranged for his church to host the Christmas dinner.
Rev. Jumper in his devotional reminded the large audience that Bartimaeus
who wanted his sight restored cried out to Jesus where he could be heard
over the large crowd.  Jesus restored Bartimaeus' sight which was one of
Jesus many miracles.   Rev. Jumper admonished us to cry out to Jesus as well
for our needs.  In addition to the dinner provided by the Church of the
Harvest, the church also made a contribution of $500 to the Federation
Center of the Blind which was requested by Frank Coppel, Chairman of the
Center's Board of Trustees.  Frank is also generous as he made a
contribution of $500 to the Center.  Levon Stack is a faithful member of The
Harvest Church and attends these annual Thanksgiving dinners and
participated in the program with some of his wonderful singing including my
favorite song, "His Eye is on the Sparrow."  David Houck told the large
gathering that repairs to the Federation Center are about 95% complete.  For
the first time in a year, the church volunteers were able to utilize the
Conference Room as tables and chairs were set up for their use.  While I
have gone to considerable length in covering last week's Thanksgiving dinner
celebrated by the Columbia Chapter, there are many other federation chapters
who are also observing Thanksgiving in a meaningful way.  The NFB of SC, its
chapters and facilities have much for which to be thankful.  Finally, I am
thankful for having so many wonderful federation friends.

Final Thought:  "A little girl was asked, 'Which cane first, the chicken or
the egg?' and she replied, 'It all depends upon which side of the grocery
store you start from!'"