[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1468

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 1 14:27:12 UTC 2014

October 1, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1468

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              I begin this Positive Note with a birth announcement from NFB
of SC First Vice President, Frank Coppel.  "Shelley and I would like
everyone to know, our Granddaughter, Aubrey Gail Dennis, was born earlier
this morning at 12:42 a.m.  She weighs 7 pounds 13 ounces and is 20-1/2
inches long.  Laura did a wonderful job and her husband, Malcom, was pretty
awesome as well."  Congratulations to all concerned and especially to
Aubrey!

Another busy week is in the books.  I was in Georgetown last Wednesday
speaking at a political forum sponsored by the local Chamber of Commerce and
Association of Realtors.  On Thursday, I was the keynote speaker at a vigil
in Sumter for victims of violence.

On Friday, I saw Pat Wolthoff in Columbia at an event sponsored by the
Richland County Democratic Party to promote voter participation in the
November 4 elections.  On Saturday, I attended two other political events
and presided at a membership dinner for our Summerville Chapter.

On Monday, I was on the road to Charleston for the second time in three days
before jumping back in the car and heading to Beaufort County.  I had been
invited to talk with the Editorial Boards of both the Post and Currier and
Hilton Island Packet.  Hopefully, they will say some nice things about my
candidacy for Attorney General.  I am grateful to Valerie Bouler for driving
me all over the state throughout the campaign.  As of today, we have
thirty-five days to go.

Incidentally, I want to congratulate Willie Wester on being elected as our
new President in Summerville.  He will have a great team of leaders working
with him.  This was our second chapter revitalization effort with the prior
event, you will recall, being held in Columbia on September 11.  We will be
in Aiken on October 11 for a membership banquet.  All of this is part of the
75 Days of Action in 2014.

I find that I am juggling a law practice with a political campaign and NFB
of SC work.  Thus far, it is working out well.  I appreciate the
understanding of Kim and Jordan for allowing me to be on the road so much.

Here is an announcement from the President of our Computer Science and
Technology Division, Steve Cook.  "The Computer Science & Technology
Division meets quarterly via telephone conference.  Here is the call-in
information you will need to attend our meeting.  We begin promptly at 8:00
PM on October 2.  Call 605 475 6150 and use access Code: 9848498."  Mr.
Gashel will be on the call to talk about the new KFB Reader.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind was
the recipient of a nice service provided by members of Faith Baptist Church
of Norris.  This group painted the outside of Lawton Memorial Hall and also
made several repairs to the exterior.  Lawton Hall is a very historic
building.  It is nearly 100 years old having been originally constructed in
the early 1920's.  The building has undergone several different renovations
but it's not always been in a good state of repair.  We first saw Lawton
Hall when we visited Rocky Bottom in May of 1958.  It was known as the
Chapel and was an important part of the 4H Club which occupied what is now
the Rocky Bottom complex.  This was the first 4H Club in the United States.
In 1958 the Chapel had a tin top roof which had several holes, causing
numerous leaks.  There were no windows, only chicken wire.  When the
Columbia Chapter visited Rocky Bottom between 1962 and 1967, the Chapel had
remained in a bad state of repair.  However, the chapter used the Chapel for
group singing and worship services during this period of time.  In the mid
1980's the NFB of SC worked with Adjutant General T. Estant Marchant who
arranged for members of the Navy Seabees who made many repairs.    In the
late 1980's, our honorary Advisory Board Chairman Mr. Ralph M. Ellenburg,
Sr. and I visited with Alice Manufacturing's President Mr. McKissick who
gave us a grant of $75,000 to be used in the restoration of the Chapel.
This included a new roof and windows.  A decision was made by the Rocky
Bottom board to name the Chapel the Dr. Samuel Miller Lawton Memorial Hall.
Dr. Lawton was the founder of the Aurora Club of the Blind in 1944.  During
that period of time a special service was held to dedicate Lawton Memorial
Hall.  Mrs. Lawton was on hand and proudly accepted this honor in memory of
her husband.  She also donated $7,000 to construct a tower over Lawton Hall
for beautiful chimes.  Incidentally the Glass Menagerie play was performed
in Lawton Hall in the early 1980's featuring an all blind cast.  While the
exterior of Lawton Hall is now in good shape, there are some things in the
interior which need attention including the two bathrooms and ceiling fans
with lights.  This would be a good project for a volunteer group.  I'd like
to see Lawton Hall in tip top shape, resulting in greater activity.

Final Thought:  "October brings brightly colored leaves which gently blow
over from your neighbor's yard once you have finished raking your own."