[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1472

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Oct 28 20:43:44 UTC 2014

October 29, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1472

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              I begin this Positive Note with an announcement from the
President of the National Federation of the Blind, Mr. Mark Riccobono.  "We
have had a number of requests for state affiliate banners from local
chapters.  We will be ordering quantities of banners with the affiliate
logos on them for purchase by the chapters.  Please forward this message
along to all of the chapter presidents.

If any chapter would like to have an affiliate banner to display (or your
affiliate would like a spare banner), email sshaffer at nfb.org with the
contact person's name, state, number of banners requested, and shipping
address.  Requests for banners must be received by Monday, November 3, to
take advantage of the quantity pricing.  The cost for each banner is
expected to be in the range of $30-$40, plus shipping."

David Houck has indicated that we still have a great number of $1 bus
tickets at the State Office which have not been sold.  One of them may be
the winning ticket, which could earn one lucky person $600 for selling and
buying the winning bus ticket at the drawing during the Statewide Seminar on
January 31.

Remember to sell your tickets at church, work, when you are out and about at
social gatherings, etc.  Most people have a dollar to give for a good cause.
The bus ticket proceeds, for those who are new to the organization, are used
to charter transportation to the National Convention each year.

I have an announcement from the President of our Computer Science and
Technology Division, Mr. Steve Cook. Here is what he says.  "In 2013, the
Computer Science & Technology Division (CSTD) provided a free class for
users of iDevices with a panel discussion!  Due to a great turn out and
positive feedback, we are having it again in 2014.

The CSTD will have a panel discussion for iDevices on Saturday, November 1,
2014 at the Federation Center of the Blind at 119 S Kilbourne Rd., Columbia,
SC 29205, from 10:00 to 4:00.  With the recent release of IOS version 8,
there are some changes in the operating system that will be demonstrated as
well.  We are requesting a $5 donation in order to purchase lunch.

We are going to order pizza for everyone and drinks will be provided.  To
suggest an app you would like to know more about, or sign up for the class,
call Steve Cook at (803) 254-0222.  Be sure to leave a message or Email at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com. "

I hope you are planning to vote on Tuesday, November 4.  Linda Dizzley,
President of our Lee County Chapter, and a new member of the State Board,
invited me to a political rally at her church on Tuesday evening, which I
was delighted to attend, and I am so appreciative of her reaching out to
make sure I was aware of it.  We have a short time to go, and the campaign
is peaking at exactly the right moment.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              We are pleased that Kay Bradley, a leader in the Inman Lions
Club, has joined the Advisory Board of RBRCCB.  She joins Margaret Douglass
of the Clemson Lions Club who joined the Advisory Board last week.  We are
delighted to have both of these outstanding ladies on our distinguished
Advisory Board.  Last week, Sam's Club volunteers cleaned out brush behind
the Conference Center, the Ellenburg Lodge and by the path behind the pond.
They also installed a new screen door for the Resident Manager's apartment.
Recently we spoke about the Dr. Samuel Miller Lawton Memorial Hall at RBRCCB
which is nearly 100 years old.  In recent months we have concentrated on
making needed repairs on the four overnight facilities.  However, while
exterior painting of Lawton Hall and outside repairs were done by Faith
Baptist Church in Norris, no action was taken on the interior of Lawton
Hall.  Recently we sent material on Rocky Bottom to some 200 churches in
Pickens County.  These materials encouraged the churches to rent the RBRCCB
facilities which provide needed revenues to cover the extensive costs of
operating this unique service to the blind.  A contractor in Columbia who is
our friend has agreed to provide all of his labor without charge making some
interior repairs to Lawton Hall.  This probably would involve replacing all
of the fixtures in the two rest rooms which will be the greatest cost in
making these improvements.  We need to replace the carpet and other
miscellaneous items which will not cost nearly as much.  Chapters, divisions
and individuals may wish to contribute to the Lawton Memorial Hall
improvements by making checks payable to RBRCCB and containing information
that it is for Lawton Hall.  The Rock Hill Chapter is planning a week's stay
at RBRCCB very soon.

              This is the last Positive Note you will receive before next
week's November 4 elections.  We certainly want to be very diligent
throughout the state in getting out the vote for our state President Parnell
Diggs in his race for Attorney General.  Parnell deserves our active support
and we should encourage members, friends and others to also provide support.

We are sorry to report the death of Helen Ellenburg -93, on Tuesday morning,
October 28.  She was the wife of our distinguished Advisory Board member
Ralph M. Ellenburg, Sr. and the mother of our Resident Manager Gwen
Ellenburg.  Mrs. Ellenburg had been seriously ill for some time.  Because
Mr. & Mrs. Ellenburg were associated with Rocky Bottom for some 35 years, we
encourage living memorial gifts for RBRCCB.

              We are also sorry to report the death of Frances Crawford who
was the sister of Dr. Fred L. Crawford.  Ms. Crawford passed away on October
23.  She was a graduate of the SC School for the Blind 72 years ago in 1942.
She was one of three members in her graduation class, the two others being
Marshall Tucker and the late Dr. Oliver Lowne.  Ms. Crawford was 90 years
old.  Over the years Ms. Crawford worked for the Pennsylvania state agency
for the blind where she had a highly successful career.  While I was several
grades behind Ms. Crawford at SCSDB, I presently remember her as being a
very nice and highly intelligent person.

Final Thought:  "A grandmother pretends she doesn't know who you are on
Halloween." ~Erma Bombeck.  or Halloween Trick or Treat:  "Eat, drink and be
scary."