[Nfbofsc] COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Mon Sep 15 13:32:45 UTC 2014

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

September 11, 2014

ROCKY BOTTOM LABOR DAY WEEKEND FUN DAY

              Wow!  The Fun Day was a real success and the winner of the Fun
Day ticket drawing was Ruth Jordan who bought her own ticket winning $550.
The Columbia Chapter swept by the Sumter Chapter at the last moment, selling
103 Fun Day tickets, receiving the $300 prize for selling the most tickets!
The accommodations were packed and chapters and other guests came from
across the state and even from North Carolina to join in the activities.
Here are the weekend's proceeds:  The overall Fun Day Festival proceeds
amount to $9,805.25 which exceeds the 2013 total profits of $9,302.42.  This
year's proceeds were bolstered by contributions for Fun Day of $2,000 from a
Virginia foundation and a contribution of $1,000 from Sam's Club.  The
following is a breakdown of the 2014 Fun Day profits:  Foundation and
corporate donations $3,000.00, Fun Day $5 ticket sales $2,295.00, weekend
food payments $1,460.00, auction $1,281.00, Saturday lunch food and drink
sales $580.50, T-shirt sales $412.00, food purchase donations $400.00, BINGO
$155.00, yard sale $117.75 and Old country Store $104.00.

ROCKY BOTTOM COLUMBIA CHAPTER TRIP

              The Columbia Chapter is going to Rocky Bottom the weekend of
October 10-12.  The cost is $20 per person and the van leaves the center
promptly at 12 noon on Friday, October 10.  Call Steve Sheck if you are
planning to go at 791-8407 so that we can make room accommodations and see
who is riding the van.  You will get $5 back for Sunday morning breakfast on
the return trip.

BLIND ALUMNI TO MEET

              The SC School for the Blind alumni will meet the weekend of
October 17-19.  The van will leave the Commission for the Blind at 3:00 p.m.
on October 17.  The registration fee is $35 and includes transportation and
Saturday night meal.  There will be door prizes.  We will be staying at the
Quality Inn Hotel in Spartanburg for $84.10 per night including tax.  Call
864-542-0333 and be sure to get registered under Isaiah Nelson's name.   If
you are planning to go, call Isaiah Nelson at 803-779-1109 or at
803-413-2434 or Dorothy Barksdale at 803-765-1622.

              Saturday breakfast will be at Hardees and meetings will begin
at 10:00 a.m. Lunch will be held in the deaf cafeteria and the banquet will
be held at 5:00 p.m. at Wade's Country Kitchen.  Call Mary Peters at
803-731-8664 if you have activity ideas.  The van will return at 11:00 a.m.
on Sunday and will stop for lunch in Clinton on the way back.

MARRIOTT FOR TWO ON VALENTINES DAY WEEKEND DRAWING

Tickets are on sale (one for $2 or three for $5) for a drawing to support
the Columbia Chapter.  A sweetheart of a deal!  President Steve Sheck is
selling the tickets for a one night's stay at the Columbia Marriott for
either Friday or Saturday evening of Valentine's Day weekend (February 13 or
14, 2015) plus a bottle of wine and breakfast at the Marriott.  The drawing
is scheduled for Saturday, January 31, 2015 during the Statewide Seminar.

WE CARE COMMITTEE

Bring your pennies for the We Care Committee for those who are sick,
hospitalized or have deceased loved ones.

UPCOMING ELECTIONS

              Our October 9 chapter meeting will be election night.  Steve
Sheck appointed the following Nominating Committee which will meet before
the October meeting to set the 2015 slate of officers:  Chairman David
Houck, David Bundy, Pat Wolthoff, Maggie Floyd, and Julia Rembert.  Let us
know if you are running for office or if you are not seeking to run again.
Committee members will meet in David Houck's office at 4:30 p.m. on
Thursday, October 9.

COLUMBIA CHAPTER MEETING SEPTEMBER 11, 2014

              We had a large turn out with more than expected.  Dean
Marshbanks was voted in as a member. Leanna Hall gave a devotional and sang
a few hymns.  President Parnell Diggs encouraged the chapter to grow its
membership and challenged Chris Danielsen, President of the Baltimore
Chapter to do so as well.  Our guest speaker was Attorney William Reynolds
who spoke on living wills and healthcare power of attorney.  Both Braille
and large print materials were passed out to the large gathering.  David
Houck gave the Center report concerning progress on restoring the Conference
Room and encouraged everyone to sell their $1 Orlando bus fund tickets so we
can bring home the $300 prize for selling the most tickets, and who knows,
one of our members may win$300 as the seller or $300 as the buyer or $600 if
you purchased your own ticket and it is the winning ticket drawn at the
January 31, 2015 Statewide Seminar.  Yes, that's right, I said January 31,
2015 Statewide Seminar, so mark your calendars now!  Our 50-50 drawing
yielded a prize of $32 which was won by Julie Bible.  Congratulations Julie!

Steve Sheck, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC