[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1466

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 17 12:38:50 UTC 2014

September 17, 2014

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1466

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              I began the day last Thursday in the office handling various
legal matters needing attention.  That afternoon, I jumped in the car and
headed to the Richland County Courthouse before ending up at the Federation
Center for the second Thursday Columbia Chapter meeting.  This particular
meeting was special because we held a membership banquet in conjunction with
the Chapter meeting.

As part of the 75 Days of Action, I challenged Baltimore Chapter President
Chris Danielsen to hold a membership event in Baltimore.  Columbia and
Baltimore have traditionally been among the larger chapters in the nation,
but it is still important to spread the message of living the life we want
to even more people.  There has never been a blind person who has not
benefited from membership in the National Federation of the Blind including
in areas where we have large chapters.

I appreciate the assistance of Thom Spittle in helping me record a brief
video for the 75 Days of Action, which will be posted soon.  The meeting was
upbeat and featured an excellent program.  I also had business to conduct in
the Columbia area on Friday, as I met with officials at Able South Carolina,
and energetic advocacy organization for people with all types of
disabilities.

On Saturday, I found myself at the Grand Strand Chapter meeting, which is my
home chapter.  As you might imagine, I attend several chapter meetings a
month across the state and nation.  It is always nice to be in my local
community attending my own chapter meeting.  As I write this Positive Note,
we are less than seven weeks from the November General Election.  It has
been quite an experience juggling my law practice with a political campaign
and Federation work.

              I will be in Irmo on Thursday attending a meeting of the local
Democratic Club.  I have depositions next Tuesday in Charleston and then a
revitalization meeting in Summerville on Saturday, September 27.  This gives
you an idea of what my schedule has been like for the past several months.

Let me call your attention to an important scheduling matter, which will
need several mentions so that members will be able to make the adjustment.
As you know, members are accustomed to having the Statewide Seminar in early
January; however, because we moved the Christmas Board Retreat to
mid-December, it seemed prudent to move the Statewide Seminar to the end of
January to allow sometime between NFB of SC events.  Accordingly, the
Statewide Seminar will occur on January 31, 2015.

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back."  Use this message when you are asked
to describe the National Federation of the Blind.  Joining me for comments
in this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is
Dr. Capps.

              Between August 29 and September 10, I spent nine days and
nights at RBRCCB  attending several days of the Fun Day Festival and almost
one week dealing with the transition involving the Resident Manager's
position which was necessary.  This was the longest time I have spent at
RBRCCB in a number of years and it gave me some time to reflect upon this
important program for the blind.  Twenty-five years ago we were planning the
construction of the Administration Building or the centerpiece of the RBRCCB
complex.  This would be a 10,000 square foot facility with a price tag of
about a half million dollars.  In the beginning we knew what we wanted to be
included in this facility which has been known as the Conference Center for
over a decade.  Certainly we wanted a large dining hall that would seat
upwards of 300 in banquet style and a commercial kitchen that would be
adequate for food service.  Some 300 dining room chairs were purchased by
blind persons as well as the necessary tables.  The commercial kitchen cost
$75,000 to equip and has been considered to be one of the best commercial
kitchens in the area.  We also included a board room where conferences and
board meetings would be held.  Two offices were included along with a
library, a director's apartment, and some limited overnight accommodations.
A First Aid medical station was included as well as other essential areas
for storage, a mechanical room, etc.  The Conference Center was dedicated in
July 1991 with some 500 participants attending, utilizing all possible space
in the dining hall, etc.  Governor Carroll Campbell was the keynote speaker.
While the two offices were utilized initially, they have not been used for
some years, but that is about to change.  Our new Resident Manager Gwen
Ellenburg has already made progress in equipping an office with computers,
etc.  This is as it should be.  No longer will business be conducted in the
Resident Manager's apartment but will be handled in the new office where it
should be.  This will be an important service to the blind and others.  The
senior camp which is one of the finest programs serving the blind will take
place next week under the direction of Frank Coppel who provides outstanding
leadership.  The program is so popular that the number of applicants exceeds
our accommodations.  I'm sorry to report the death of Billy Hendrix on
August 13.  Billy was the longtime President of the Marlboro County Chapter
and during the time he was President, his wife Pat was at his side and was
always supportive.  Billy was prominent in the Bennettsville area where he
was an active member in the Bennettsville Lions Club.  Billy was President
of the chapter for 30 years and his death leaves a real void in the
chapter's existence.  We extend our sympathy to his wife Pat and express our
gratitude to her for the wonderful work she and Billy did throughout the
years.

Final Thought:  "Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other
seasons." ~Jim Bishop