[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1494

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 1 12:30:15 UTC 2015

April 1, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1494

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              It is wonderful to be back in South Carolina after a trip to
the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute for the 2015 Jacobus
tenBroek Law Symposium.  Dr. tenBroek, the distinguished first President and
principle founder of the National Federation of the Blind, was a great
constitutional scholar and law professor who wrote extensively on the
inclusion of blind people in society and their right to live in the world.
Dr. Marc Maurer, who chaired the Symposium, made reference to Dr. tenBroek's
efforts to convince Congress to include people with disabilities in the 1964
Civil Rights Act.  It did not happen in 1964, but it was considered.

In fact, it was not until 1974 that the Individuals with Disabilities
Education Act (Public law 94-142) was enacted and not until 1990 that the
Americans with Disabilities Act was enacted.  A man far ahead of his time,
Dr. tenBroek died in 1968.  The 2015 Symposium was the 8th Annual gathering
of disability rights attorneys from across the nation at the National
Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute.  It has now been twenty-five
years since the ADA was enacted, and our focus was on "the ADA at Fifty".
What will life be like for people with disabilities in 2040: when the
National Federation of the Blind is in its 100th year?  While we have made
significant progress as a movement thus far, the reality is that we still
have far to go.  But we are moving forward.

The Columbia Marriott is now accepting reservations for what will no doubt
be the best State Convention in NFB of SC history during the weekend of
August 21 through 23!  Reservations for the Event will be made by individual
attendees directly with Marriott reservations at (800) 593-6465 or (803)
771-7000.  You can also use this link to make your reservations online.

http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCor
p.mi?resLinkData=Natl%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%5Ecaemh%60nfbnfba%6095
%60USD%60false%608/20/15%608/23/15%608/1/15&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes

The rates this year for a room accommodating up to four guests are $95 per
night plus tax, which is currently 12 percent.  The hotel will ask for a
credit card number or a first night deposit.  Rates are also good on August
20 for those who want to arrive early, but there are not as many rooms
available on Thursday evening so hurry if you want to come in on Thursday.
You should make your reservations now but no later than July 31.  In fact,
while we have a deadline of July 31, there is no guarantee that hotel rooms
will last until then.  Thus, it would be prudent to get this detail taken
care of early.  This is also a great time to hold chapter fundraisers to
provide financial assistance for members who want to attend the State
Convention.

The State Board will set the State Convention registration rates at its
spring meeting on Saturday, April 11, 2015.  You should plan to attend the
Board meetings and express your opinion.  Your input is needed at the State
Board meeting as well as the Rocky Bottom Board meeting.

Let me say a quick word about the chartered bus trip.  In recent years, as
the Convention has repeatedly been in Orlando, members have begun traveling
to the Convention by means other than the chartered bus; such as airplane,
private car, or chapter van.  In 2014, for example, the NFB of SC placed
fifth in the attendance rankings.  If we do not receive other reservations
soon, we will begin to consider options other than a fifty-six passenger bus
to accommodate the eighteen passengers signed-up thus far.  This means that
we may go with a smaller and more affordable source.  You must get your
reservations in now because we have never had a guaranteed reservation
deadline.  Those who sign-up will be transported to Orlando, but it makes no
sense to reserve a fifty-six passenger bus if it is not needed.  We need to
hear from you if you are planning to ride the bus and you have not yet told
us.  This will help us complete the arrangements.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              A joint meeting of the Board of Trustees and Advisory Board of
the Federation Center of the Blind was held last Friday, March 27.  The
meeting was presided over by Frank Coppel who is the excellent Chairman of
the Board of Trustees.  Since the Federation Center of the Blind provides
statewide service, its constitution was amended the first of 2014 changing
the boards from a local agency to a statewide agency.  Debra Canty,
President of the Sumter Chapter and member of the Board of Directors of the
NFB of SC was present for the March 27 luncheon meeting as well as JW Smith,
President of the Greenville Chapter and member of the Board of Directors of
the NFB of SC which reflects statewide participation.  Included on the
Advisory Board is the owner of a business equipment company, an official of
Blue Cross Blue Shield, a retired official from the Square D Company, and a
former state Senator.  Incidentally, Blue Cross Blue Shield donated a new
board room table, replacing the one which was demolished.  David Houck,
Executive Director of the Center reported on the upgrades to the Center
including a new roof donated at a value of $15,000 by Crescent Construction.
There was one extremely important decision made by the Board of Trustees.
This involves the promotion of a luncheon in June, inviting Pastors of
churches throughout the greater community area for the purpose of seeking
financial assistance for the Center.  The Federation Center is a private
agency and its leaders are constantly seeking ways of underwriting the
programs of the Center which is the hub of activity for our many services on
behalf of the blind, including RBRCCB.  Chairman Coppel asked me to address
the joint boards concerning RBRCCB and I was pleased to give the history and
origin of RBRCCB and its service to the blind of the state.  I'm sorry to
report that Clarence Hornsby passed away last weekend and we extend our
sincere sympathy to his wife Lynn.  Clarence was an associate member of the
Rock Hill Chapter and of course, Lynn has been a chapter leader for many
years.  Clarence was supportive of Lynn who has worked with the NFB of SC
Scholarship Committee, also giving annual $500 Hornsby Scholarships for many
years.  We also extend sympathy to Willodene Mims whose husband Tom passed
away the first part of March.  Tom was supportive of Willodene's outstanding
service to the Upper Dorchester County Chapter of the NFB of SC.  Willodene
was the first President of the chapter when it was organized several years
ago.  We are sorry to lose these two excellent associate members and extend
sincere sympathy to the families.  Our new RBRCCB Resident Manager, Brooke
West has settled into her new position as she writes as follows concerning
her first rental group, "I visited with the McCullum group and made sure the
property was being used properly and was respected and thank goodness it
was.  I really enjoyed the good music and good food and hospitality and
there was a young man who was blind who played and sang."  We are pleased
that Frank and Shelley Coppel are giving $100 to the Lawton Hall Fund and we
extend our appreciation to the Coppel's who are very generous in their
giving to programs serving the blind.  This brings the giving to $1,100 as
we are now in our second thousand dollars that has been given but we need
further statewide support for this project.  This is a reminder that the
Board of Directors of RBRCCB will meet Saturday, April 11 at 10:00 a.m. in
the board room of the Federation Center of the Blind.  Sunday is Easter and
no doubt our members across the state will be in their respective places of
worship.  When our two children, Beth and Craig were small we had Easter egg
hunts at our residence.  In those days we had a cocker spaniel (Penny) who
would always run and lead Beth and Craig to where the Easter eggs had been
hidden but Penny was up to the challenge in finding each and every Easter
egg.  Final Thought:  "If Easter says anything to us today, it says this:
You can put truth in a grave, but it won't stay there. You can nail it to a
cross, wrap it in winding sheets and shut it up in a tomb, but it will
rise!" - Clarence W. Hall