[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1497

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 22 12:30:06 UTC 2015

April 22, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1497

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              As I sit down to write the Positive Note, I observe that the
State Convention will be here before we know it.  Thus, I am beginning this
Positive Note with an announcement from Shannon Cook, who says the
following.  "It is that time of year again: Scholarship Time!  If you or
someone you know will be attending college or graduate school in the fall of
2015 and is blind, please encourage them to apply for a 2015 NFB of SC
Scholarship.

The web address is nfbofsc.org.  They can click on the Scholarship link and
complete the application.  Scholarships will be awarded at the state
convention the weekend of august 21-23.  We also want to remind our chapters
and divisions that we are taking donations, in any amount, for the Metro
Fund, which allows the Scholarship Committee to supplement worthy recipients
with a little extra funding."

The Columbia Marriott is now accepting reservations for the 2015 NFB of SC
State Convention during the weekend of August 21 through 23!  Reservations
for the Event should be made directly with Marriott reservations at (800)
593-6465 or (803) 771-7000.  You can also make your reservations online
using the following link.

http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCor
p.mi?resLinkData=Natl%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%5Ecaemh%60nfbnfba%6095
%60USD%60false%608/20/15%608/23/15%608/1/15&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes

The rates this year for a room accommodating up to four guests are $95 per
night plus tax, which is currently 12 percent.  The hotel will ask for a
credit card number or a first night deposit.  Rates are also good on August
20 for those who want to arrive early, but there are not as many rooms
available on Thursday evening so hurry if you want to come in on Thursday.

I also want to say something about the chartered bus trip to Orlando.  If
you are planning to use NFB of SC transportation, please get your
reservations in by May 15.  After that date, we will need to make
arrangements depending on the number of passengers being served.  While we
may not fill the bus by May 15, it would be unreasonable to use a fifty-six
passenger bus for twenty-five people.  In other words, we may use a smaller
vehicle.  Get your reservations in now.

Speaking of Orlando, it is time to make hotel reservations (as I have done)
for the 75th Anniversary Convention, which will occur this year from July 5
through July 10.  To do this, you should write directly to the Rosen Centre
Hotel, 9840 International Drive, Orlando, Florida 32819. You can also call
the hotel at (800) 204-7234.

The 2015 room rates are singles, doubles, and twins, $82; and triples and
quads, $89.  In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at
present is 13.5 percent.  No charge will be made for children under
seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.

The hotel will ask for a deposit of $95 for each room and will want a credit
card number or a personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will
be charged against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a
$95 check. If a reservation is cancelled before May 28, 2015, half of the
deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

It was a pleasure to participate in last Thursday's Advocacy Day for Access
and Independence on the Statehouse grounds, as the disability community,
including many members of our Federation family, were on hand to observe the
approaching 25th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act and to
increase public awareness about issues that still must be resolved to give
all people with disabilities access, independence, and equality.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              The 62nd annual barbecue sponsored by the Columbia Chapter
will take place this Thursday.  The first barbecue held at the Federation
Center was in 1962 or more than 50 years ago.  This has become a huge
project but the proceeds are highly profitable and help us to assist the
blind in various ways.  I am especially proud of the members who
participated in the three night canvas.  The weather was not good for
canvassing.  One evening the members who participated found it necessary to
brave a chilly drizzle.  There were also tornado warnings but thankfully
this did not prove to be harmful to the canvassers.  This project has been
ongoing since the middle of March consuming a lot of time and effort.  I
have found it necessary to work harder this year than in the past in order
to meet the goal I established.  This Thursday more workers will begin to
arrive early to get set up for the serving lines, etc.  Both our blind and
sighted members give considerably of their time and energy in this
undertaking.  There was an impressive event which occurred during the
Columbia Chapter meeting on Thursday, April 9.  In 1969 a young lady went to
work for the Rogers Law Firm which has represented the NFB of SC beginning
in the 1950's.  In that same year, 1969, we approached this lady about
selling barbecue tickets.  She readily agreed to do so.  Her name was Jackie
Hearn.  For 45 years Jackie worked for the law firm and also participated in
the sale of barbecue tickets.  Jackie retired a couple of weeks ago.  It is
estimated that during the 45 years she participated in the barbecue sales,
Jackie sold well over 1,000 tickets, raising hundreds of dollars in profits
for the Columbia Chapter.  Upon retirement, she enlisted the service of
another Rogers Law Firm employee.  It seemed appropriate to honor Jackie for
her 45 years of service to the blind.  At the recent chapter meeting we
presented the chapter's Distinguished Service Award to Jackie.  The award
reads as follows:  "Distinguished Service Award Columbia Chapter, National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, Presented To: Jackie Hearn for 45
years of outstanding service to the blind in the Greater Columbia area with
regard to the annual barbecues.  This serves as an example of one's good
deeds and is an inspiration to all people.  Our Friend, Our Sister in
Service, April 9, 2015."  In addition to presenting a certificate to Jackie,
we also presented her with a large bouquet of red roses.  Jackie was most
appreciative of this recognition.  She wrote as follows:  "Dear Mr. Capps
and NFB of SC Columbia Chapter:  It was sure a pleasure being with you all
on Thursday evening.  Thank you again for the Distinguished Service Award
honor and for the lovely roses!  With my kindest regards to all, Jackie
Hearn."  There are other people who have participated in the annual barbecue
who merit recognition.  This includes Frank Coppel, Chairman of the barbecue
and a participant in this annual project going back to the 1970's.  Dorothy
Barksdale has participated in the barbecue for more than 40 years.  David
Houck has also participated in the annual barbecue for more than 30 years.
To the best of my knowledge, I was the only person who has participated in
the barbecue from its beginning in 1954.  Our thanks to Columbia Chapter
members Doug Hudson and Kate Spradley who each contributed $60 to the Lawton
Hall Fund.

Final Thought:  "It is a miracle that barbecue survives formal education." -
Albert Einstein