[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1498

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 29 12:38:19 UTC 2015

April 29, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1498

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              We are proud to announce an additional youth program in the
NFB of SC, and it originated right here in the state.  To tell you about it,
here is the President of the South Carolina Organization of Parents of Blind
Children, Jennifer Duffell-Hoffman.

"National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

Teenage Enrichment and Empowerment through Nonvisual Skills

 (NFB of SC TEENS)  July 27-July 31, 2015, 8:15-3:15 daily

Hosted at Hughston TLC, SCSDB campus, Spartanburg, SC

              The NFB of SC TEENS program has been designed specifically for
participants, ages thirteen through eighteen (have not entered senior year
of high school). NFB of SC TEENS will provide one week of; concentrated
Braille (UEB) instruction, white cane travel, nonvisual technique,
independent living skills, interpersonal skills and discussion time. This
program is for all blind teens who could benefit. This includes low-vision
teens, teens who have recently lost their vision, teens who have been blind
since birth, and teens who have additional disabilities.

              NFB of SC TEENS is created and presented by active members of
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina. The lead teacher is
blind and Braille literate as well as a certified classroom teacher and the
President of the NFB Cherokee Chapter. The state coordinator is the sighted
parent of two blind teens and the President of South Carolina Parents of
Blind Children.  All volunteers whether blind or sighted have a positive
attitude toward blindness and toward the alternative skills of blindness.

For more information or for an application contact Jennifer Duffell-Hoffman
at 803-287-5391 or by email at jaduffell at yahoo.com.

Applications received after June 8, 2015 not guaranteed to receive program
give-a-ways. Lunch will be provided for participants daily. Transportation
is not provided. $30.00 fee, please contact program coordinator if this is
cost prohibitive."

I am so pleased with the work of both Jennifer Duffell-Hoffman and Jamie
Allison.  Help us spread the word about NFB of SC TEENS as well as the 2015
edition of the NFB BELL program in South Carolina.

The chartered bus deadline for the National Convention has been set at May
15!  If you are planning to use NFB of SC transportation, please get your
reservations in by that date so we can make arrangements depending on the
number of passengers being served.  While we may not fill the bus by May 15,
it would be unreasonable to use a fifty-six passenger bus for twenty-five
people.  In other words, we may use a smaller vehicle.  Please get your
reservations in now.

The Columbia Marriott is now accepting reservations for the 2015 NFB of SC
State Convention during the weekend of August 21 through 23!  Reservations
for the Event should be made directly with Marriott reservations at (800)
593-6465 or (803) 771-7000.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Thank Goodness!  The 62nd annual barbecue held by the Columbia
Chapter concluded last Thursday, April 23.  You are probably tired of
reading about the barbecue and I'm tired of talking about that important
event which was successful.  We need to report on other topics.  However, I
do want to mention that David Houck was interviewed by the ABC TV affiliate
in Columbia which gave positive coverage of the barbecue.

              It was a good change of pace traveling to Rocky Bottom last
weekend as I had not been to Rocky Bottom since the latter part of February
two months ago when the weather was bitter cold.  The weather in Rocky
Bottom was beautiful and a big contrast to the weather two months ago.  This
being springtime, Rocky Bottom was in full bloom featuring many flowers.
Friday afternoon I met with our Resident Manager Brooke West in her office
and I was brought up to date on various visits to take place in Rocky Bottom
including a couple of church representatives.  Brooke will be in charge of
the Advisory Board luncheon to take place in the near future.  The luncheon
menu was discussed.  Our attention was called to the roof leak on Osterneck
Cottage and that is being handled this week.  The Upstate Lions and the
blind of that area will be hosted by Rocky Bottom this Friday night with
dinner taking place earlier that evening.  We are glad to accommodate our
Lions friends and the blind of that area for the annual fishing expedition.
All of the facilities are expected to be utilized.  Phil Marett, a member of
the RBRCCB Advisory Board is in charge of this fishing expedition.  There
was other activity at Rocky Bottom during the weekend including the Sumter
Chapter which utilized the Ellenburg Lodge.    We were glad to see the
Sumter Chapter enjoy their weekend at RBRCCB.  Also, Rocky Bottom Baptist
Church held a luncheon in the Dining Hall of the Conference Center on
Sunday.  Many of the church members live in the Rocky Bottom community and
are therefore neighbors to RBRCCB.  We were glad to provide this service to
the church on a complimentary basis as we want to demonstrate to this
community that we are a good neighbor.  Brooke reported that our very good
friend, Mrs. Ruth Jordan of our Greenville Chapter and her daughter had
recently visited RBRCCB to bring pictures of Mrs. Jordan's mother, Mrs.
Carrie Lee Cox to be featured in the Carrie Lee Cox Memorial Library.

              When we were in Rocky Bottom two months ago the weather was so
cold that the Eddie Mae Lucas Webb Memorial Pond was frozen over.  JJ, our
resident duck, and his family members were observed moving around on the
pond unable to paddle.  While we were there, however, a small area in the
pond melted and JJ and his family swam in the small area.  Incidentally, JJ
and his family members have gotten involved in the Presidential race.  Half
of the family supports a Democrat for President with the other half
supporting a Republican candidate.  JJ is playing it close to the vest, not
having indicated how he plans to vote.  It may well be that he is an
independent.  Under any circumstances, JJ hopes that the President will not
"prove to be a quack."  By the way, JJ and his family survived the extremely
bitter cold weather.  While at Rocky Bottom JJ and his family made their way
to the outside entrance to the apartment, having come to lobby for food
crumbs, etc. and they were accommodated.

Final Thought:  "We enter May with spring in full bloom; we celebrate our
mothers and memorialize our veterans."