[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1512

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 5 12:26:02 UTC 2015

August 5, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

              The month of August is finally here, and with it comes the
much talked about, the much awaited, and the much anticipated State
Convention.  I hope you have made your hotel reservations because we have
exceeded our room block.  By now, you know the dates and the location. You
know that the Columbia Chapter is working on the Reception, you are aware
that we are building another outstanding program, and you have been informed
that your pre-registration fees cover meals from Friday evening through
Sunday morning.

In this Positive Note, therefore, I want to give you some other logistical
details so you will know everything you want to know about the NFB of SC
Convention, and then some.  Lenora Robertson is handling door prizes for us
in 2015.  Please bring door prizes of at least $5 in value, give them to
Lenora at the hotel, and then sit back and enjoy all of the many door prizes
she will be giving away during the weekend.

Have you thought about a banquet gift or pledge?  This Convention Banquet
presents an opportunity to help the NFB of SC carry out its mission
throughout the year; namely, promoting the economic, social, and spiritual
quality of life for blind South Carolinians.  I plan to make a donation as
well, as I would not ask others to do what I am not willing to do myself.
Please give some thought to this in terms of a chapter, division, or a
personal gift or pledge.

What about the scholarship program?  Have you thought about the students
pursuing educational goals in the upcoming academic year?  Those chapters
with plans to donate named scholarships should get in touch with Shannon
Cook at cookcafe at sc.rr.com.  You can also make donations to the Metro
Scholarship fund and join with other chapters and individuals to supplement
the scholarship awards this year.

I also have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, who serves as President of
the NFB of SC Seniors Division.  Here is what she says.  "We are looking
forward to seeing all of the members of the Senior Division and new folks
too!  Our meeting will be on Friday, August 21, at 2:30 PM.  We did this so
that we could have more time to discuss our happenings, elect 2 new
officers, talk about drawings which we are going to be selling tickets for
both over the weekend, and for next year's convention!  Please come and join
us; we have lots to tell you!"

There is other business in the Federation which is ongoing as we approach
the August State Convention.  In the August Presidential Release, President
Riccobono mentioned the problem around the country, still in some
thirty-eight states, where blind parents are having their right to parent
threatened because there is a provision in the law stating that disability
is a factor to be considered when determining custody rights.

I am reminded that (on this issue) South Carolina was out front having been
one of the initial states to adopt "The Blind Persons Right to Parent Act".
Congratulations to the NFB of SC, Jennifer Bazer, Debra Canty, Frank Coppel,
and all of those involved in claiming the right to parent for blind people
in the State of South Carolina.

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
Positive Note is the President emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr.
Capps.

              We have just about exhausted our room accommodations for the
Fun Day Festival.  However, you need to go ahead and get your reservations
in as I'm confident there will be a sell-out as we get closer to the Fun Day
Festival.  Most of us will be arriving on Friday evening, September 4 and
stay over until Monday, September 7.  Plans are going forward   to ensure
the best possible results.  There will be very good food and an auction as
well as T-shirt sales as the inventory is being updated.  We also will enjoy
fellowship, utilizing the Conference Center deck as evenings are cool
beginning in September at RBRCCB.  Others will enjoy the screened-in porch
at Osterneck Cottage and still others will enjoy the living room in the
Ellenburg Lodge.  I suspect some will enjoy the Oglesby Cottage deck as
well.  RBRCCB has enjoyed having several rental groups this summer.  This
week RBRCCB is enjoying a group from Spartanburg High School under the
direction of Jack Todd who is a friend of mine dating back to the time I was
on the Board of Commissioners of the SCSDB.  Mr. Todd was a staff member
there.  Other groups are booked for August.  We are grateful that good
rental groups have patronized RBRCCB this summer as this program needs
operating revenue derrived from rentals.  Some members from the Columbia
Chapter will be visiting RBRCCB this weekend under leadership provided by
President Tiffiny Mitchell.  We're glad to report that Ed Bible who is a
member of the Board of Directors of the NFB of SC and on the Federation
Center's board will be heading up a group from his church who will be
providing volunteer service at RBRCCB in September.  Our Resident Manager,
Brooke West will be working with Ed and his church members who will enjoy
staying in the Ellenburg Lodge for several days.  I cannot emphasize enough
to everybody the need to secure items for the auction sale as Parnell Diggs
has agreed to once again serve as the auctioneer and he will need items to
auction off.  We need to sell the $5 Fun Day tickets.  Alma Lee Doyle will
be heading up the yard sale and we will need items to sell.  We need to hear
from some of you across the state to head up the Old Country Store.  For
many years, chapters, divisions and members have made contributions toward
the purchase of food and Lenora Robertson will be grateful for this
assistance as she needs funds to purchase food supplies on a wholesale
basis.

              From time to time, each of us enjoys a special blessing and I
want to share this special blessing.  Betty was involved in a fall Sunday
night and injured her right hip.  Although it did not appear to be real
severe, to be safe she was taken to a local urgent care center where X- rays
were done and there appeared to be a slight fracture.  However, she was
referred to the hospital emergency room and after some six hours of waiting,
a CAT scan was done and it was concluded that she did not have a fracture
but it revealed she had some arthritis.  She is now recovering and can walk
with assistance.  We have a wonderful live-in caregiver, Debbie Manning who
is taking excellent care of Betty.  We are thankful to God for this special
blessing which we wanted to share with all of you.

Final Thought:  NFB of SC Convention Pre-registration ends August 14, have
you sent in your $70?