[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1513

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 12 12:47:23 UTC 2015

August 12, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

              I have received some inquiries about how to commemorate our
record-breaking umbrella mosaic spelling out our tagline, "Live the Life you
want", achieved during the 2015 National Convention in Orlando in July.
Here is an announcement from President Riccobono regarding how to order your
certificate of participation if you would like to keep a treasure to
remember your involvement in this historic event.

"Order Your Own Personalized GUINNESS WORLD RECORDST Certificate of
Participation:  Remember that time we made history and broke a GUINNESS
WORLD RECORDST title for the largest umbrella mosaic?! Well, now you can
order proof of your accomplishment.

For an accessible ordering process, please contact the NFB Independence
Market at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216 or IndependenceMarket at nfb.org,
Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern time. The Market
will be taking orders for certificates until September 30, 2015.

You can also order certificates using the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDST online
store, but please note that there are accessibility issues with this site.
If you would like to use this option, go to
http://store.guinnessworldrecords.com. Click on the "Records" link to reach
certificates for purchase. Use ID# 140602-13928 and the code moeq5230MO.
Certificates cost $25 apiece, plus a shipping (via UPS) and handling fee."

Please help us spread the word about the availability of this certificate so
that all of our members who are interested in remembering their
participation in this world record-breaking endeavor will have a chance to
secure a certificate of participation by the deadline.

As I write this Positive Note, our much-anticipated State Convention is only
one week away.  On Thursday, August 20, many of us will be arriving at the
Columbia Marriott including our own Chris Danielsen, who will be serving as
National Representative to the NFB of SC Convention.  Chris has served for
the past several years as Director of Public Relations for the National
Federation of the Blind.  We are very proud of Chris and look forward to his
contributions to the Convention.

We have acceded our room block, which means the Convention will be
well-attended, but we need other pre-registrations from those who are
planning to be there.  Based on the number of rooms reserved, we should have
a good number of pre-registrations to be submitted.  Please help us out by
getting your pre-registrations in to the State Office.

I have a call-to-action for members across the state.  As you know, we are
working on the TIME Act, which stands for Transitioning to Integrated and
Meaningful Employment, which is H.R. 188 in the House of Representatives.
We need you to call your Congressman and ask him to cosponsor this
initiative.  I have contacted Joe Wilson, and Debra Canty has contacted Jim
Clyburn, but one contact per office is not enough.  They need to hear from
lots of South Carolinians.  Please call your Congressman; or better yet,
visit your Congressman's office during the August Recess which is happening
as we speak.

For the first time, the TIME Act has also been introduced in the Senate as
the companion bill, which is S. 2001.  The TIME Act continues to gain
support, and the balance is beginning to tip in our favor.  Eventually, we
will see the day when disabled Americans are also guaranteed a minimum wage.
I look forward to telling you all about it at the State Convention next
week.

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and their dreams.  You can live the life you want:

The celebration of the 75th anniversary of the National Federation of the
Blind is truly spectacular.  The NFB has been responsible for tremendous
improvements in the well-being of the blind and should have the appreciation
of every blind person in the country.  There's another impressive federation
anniversary.  How many of you have paused to realize that this is the 60th
anniversary convention of the NFB of SC, 1956-2015.  The NFB of SC has
accomplished a great deal in its service to the blind of the state.  While
we are proud of the facilities we have in Columbia, Laurens and in Rocky
Bottom, we also are proud of the 44 pieces of legislation we initiated and
passed through the legislature which is just as important than any other of
our accomplishments.  This work that has been ongoing for over 70 years has
resulted in a highly influential organization of the blind dating back to
1944 when the organization was founded.  The first NFB of SC convention was
held in Charleston at the Fort Sumter Hotel which no longer exists.  To give
you some idea as to hotel rates in 1956, here they are:  Double bed, 1
person, $2.50; 2 persons, $3.50; with connecting bath 1 person $3.00; 2
persons, $4.00; private bath, 1 person, $3.50; 2 persons, $5.00; 2 persons,
2 double beds without bath, $4.50; 3 persons in a room, $6.00; 4 persons,
$7.00; 2 persons, 2 double beds with connecting bath, $5.00; 3 persons,
$6.00; private bath, 2 persons, $6.00; 3 persons, $8.75; 4 persons, $10.00.
Many years ago when there was a reference to "Father Time" I gave it very
little thought.  However, the term certainly applies to me now.  For just
about all of the 60 state conventions, I attended every convention function.
This is no longer the case.  Three of us have pre-registered for the state
convention including myself, Betty and our expensive live-in caregiver
Debbie Manning.  For two years now it has been necessary to have a full-time
live-in caregiver as Betty requires this service.  It is no longer feasible
for us to try to stay at the hotel as much as I'd like to.  I will be
relying on Debbie and Craig to assist us in attending as much of the
convention as possible.  The bond I have had with the blind of the state
spanning more than 60 years has influenced me to give this information so
that the convention will understand why I am no longer able to be present
for every activity or every program item.  I still do a lot of work on
behalf of the federation and RBRCCB as my den or living room area virtually
serves as a federation office.  I'm grateful to David Houck for working with
me in all of my federation responsibilities as we spend a good bit of time
on the telephone.  I also appreciate working very closely with Brooke West
who is making much progress having now served as Resident Manager of RBRCCB
for nearly six months.

As Frank Coppel explained in his August 6 letter, the Federation Center is
faced with a financial crisis.  Our Sumter Chapter President Debra Canty has
sent a $100 contribution but we disparately need to hear from more of you as
well to not allow the Federation Center which is the hub of the NFB of SC
and RBRCCB activity to close.  We have to raise $900 by Friday, August 14 to
keep the Center operating.  Please help us now.

 A couple of days ago we received $100 from our longtime friends, Emily and
Padgett McKenzie as a memorial gift to the Lawton Hall repair fund.  I have
known Padgett and Emily for several decades and they have been loyal
federationists during that extended period.  Its good people like Padgett
and Emily who have now given enough funding to enable us in the near future
to commence with the repairs to Lawton Hall.  It has taken a lot of time and
effort to generate enough funding to cover repairs on Lawton Hall but it
would not be possible without your help across the state.

While it will be a special pleasure to have President Diggs and Chris
Danielsen at next week's convention, I also look forward to seeing all of
you across the state.

Final Thought:  "A spectator watches an event take place, a participant
takes part in the action, and a leader directs the action being taken -
which are you?"