[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1515

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 26 13:32:39 UTC 2015

August 26, 2015

From:  Frank Coppel, President

I would say the 2015 State Convention of the NFB of SC was one of the most
memorable conventions I have attended for many years.  Parnell Diggs did an
excellent job presiding over his last State Convention, and although we will
miss him a great deal we wish him much success in his new position as the
Director of Government Affairs for the NFB.  Many thanks go to Tiffiny
Mitchell, President of the Columbia Chapter and her team who got the
festivities off to a resounding start Friday evening with a wonderful
reception.  This year we were honor to have Chris Danielsen, Public
Relations Director of the NFB, as our National Representative for the
convention.  Chris is a native South Carolinian who began his Federation
journey in the NFB of Sc.  Mr. Danielsen gave a thorough National report and
his Banquet Speech Saturday evening was outstanding.  Another highlight of
the Banquet was the awarding of scholarships to seven deserving college
students.  I also like to thank the membership of the NFB of SC for their
awesome generosity which was demonstrated during the Banquet fundraiser.  We
were able to quickly raise $10,000 which will be divided equally between the
NFB of SC and the Federation Center.  Elections were held Sunday morning and
the following individuals were elected for one year terms; President, Frank
Coppel, 1st Vice President, Lenora Robertson, 2nd Vice President, Debra
Canty, 5th district, Linda Dizzley, and member-at-large, Jamie Allison.
Elected for two year terms were 1st District Levern Wilson, 3rd District,
Frank Loza, and members-sat-large, Isaiah Nelson and Ed Bible.

The Columbia Chapter is currently organizing a cruise which will set sail on
April 25, 2016, on The Enchantment of the Sea, Royal Caribbean Cruise line.
The cruise will be five days and four nights and the deposit is $200.  For
more detailed information contact Tiffiny Mitchell at (803) 629-5915.

Again, I would like to thank each and every one of you for your support as I
assume the duties of the State Presidency of the NFB of SC.  I believe a
good State President should be accessible and a good listener to their
membership.  If you need to contact me for whatever reason, please do so.
You can call me at (803) 796-8662 or email me at frankcoppel at att.net.

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Good news - Monday evening I attended a meeting of the Salem
Lions Club which presented me with a gift of $3,000 to complete the funds
needed to handle the repairs of Lawton Hall.  There were about 75 Lions in
attendance.  As you know, I have spent a lot of time in the past several
months generating funds to make the needed repairs as I did not want to take
operating funds to do the work.  Plans call for us to complete the repairs
in late September.  Last Saturday our distinguished Advisory Board member
Phil Marret and four other Lions came to Rocky Bottom and did work on the
putt-putt golf course.  Over the weekend a church group out of
Hendersonville, NC occupied our facilities and made a gift of 20 new pillows
for Osterneck Cottage.  This was also a lucrative rental.  This same church
group will be using our facilities this weekend.  Our Resident Manager
Brooke West is doing a good job.

              Congratulations to Frank Coppel who is our new state President
and also congratulations to Lenora Robertson who is our new First Vice
President and congratulations to Debra Canty who was elected Second Vice
President.  Incidentally I want to congratulate Jamie Allison President of
our Cherokee County Chapter who was elected to the Board of Directors of the
NFB of SC.  I'm sorry I missed much of the convention as it appears to have
been an outstanding success but I do plan to listen to the recordings.
Betty sustained some bruises and a sprained hand in her Friday evening fall
and I did not feel that I could leave her not knowing the full extent of her
injuries.  She is making a good recovery.  I'm impressed with the amount of
$10,000 given at the Banquet.  Since I could not be present for the Banquet,
I'm taking the liberty of advising that I am hereby giving a pledge of $200.

              Adding to the chapters making contributions to the Fun Day
Food purchase from last week is the Loris Chapter under the excellent
leadership of its President Alma Lee Doyle who gave $50.  Congratulations to
Jennifer Bazer who has agreed to handle the very important Children's Camp
in July 2016.  Jennifer is eminently qualified for this important position
and I have found it rewarding working with her in this matter.

              Both the NFB of SC and RBRCCB are enjoying much success these
days and I'm grateful to everyone who has stepped up to the plate.  I'm
dictating this Positive Note from Rocky Bottom so that I could travel to the
Walhalla area where the Lions Club met.  I had a good conference with Brooke
West and also talked briefly with our Rocky Bottom member of the Board of
Directors, Dr. Tom Bowen.

Final Thought:  "The most important thing at all levels of the federation is
the succession to the Presidency." - Dr. Kenneth Jernigan