[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1487

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Feb 11 16:31:50 UTC 2015

February 11, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1487

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              It is time to make reservations for the Seventy-fifth
Anniversary Convention of the National Federation of the Blind occurring
this year from July 5 through July 10 in Orlando, Florida.  To do this, you
should write directly to the Rosen Centre Hotel, 9840 International Drive,
Orlando, Florida 32819. You can also call the hotel at (800) 204-7234.

The 2015 room rates are singles, doubles, and twins, $82; and triples and
quads, $89.  In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at
present is 13.5 percent.  No charge will be made for children under
seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.

The hotel is accepting reservations now.  The hotel will want a deposit of
$95 for each room and will want a credit card number or a personal check. If
you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against your card
immediately, just as would be the case with a $95 check. If a reservation is
cancelled before May 28, 2015, half of the deposit will be returned.
Otherwise refunds will not be made.

One of the high lights of the recent Statewide Seminar was the announcement
of the 2015 State Convention, occurring this summer at the Columbia Marriott
during the weekend of August 21 through 23.  The Columbia Marriott is now
accepting reservations in anticipation of the best State Convention in NFB
of SC history!  Reservations for the Event will be made by individual
attendees directly with Marriott reservations at (800) 593-6465 or (803)
771-7000.

You can also use this link to make your reservations online.

http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCor
p.mi?resLinkData=Natl%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%5Ecaemh%60nfbnfba%6095
%60USD%60false%608/20/15%608/23/15%608/1/15&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes

I was able to navigate to this page, but I did not take the time to make a
reservation through the above link.  Perhaps some members will want to give
it a try and provide us with a report.  The deadline for reservations is
12:01 AM on August 1.  That’s right:  you may hear that the deadline is
August 1, but remember that the time stated in the contract is 12:01 AM.
Thus, you might as well consider the deadline for state convention
reservations as July 31.

The rates this year for a room accommodating up to four guests are $95 per
night plus tax, which is currently 12 percent.  The hotel will ask for a
credit card number or a first night deposit.  Rates are also good on August
20 for those who want to arrive early.

I have been in negotiations with the hotel about banquet pricing.  But until
we reach an agreement with the hotel, we cannot determine the cost of
convention registration.  This is because we use registration fees to cover
the charges for meals at the hotel throughout the weekend.  I know that
members prefer a low registration cost.

Of course, if we set the price too low, then the food we receive is not
satisfying.  The hotel would happily provide steak and lobster if we paid
for it; however, the better the menu, the higher the price.  Just keep in
mind that we are working on this with great vigor.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              As promised in last week’s Positive Note I am providing you
with additional information concerning our new Resident Manager Brooke West.
First, let me assure all of you that the practice of “word-of-mouth” is
still effective.  After I had the privilege of speaking to the Rocky Bottom
Baptist Church explaining that the Resident Manager’s position was open,
this information surfaced throughout the area including the Holly Springs
Store located at the intersection of Highway 11 and US 178, and this proved
to be crucial in the hiring of Brooke West.  Her fiancée, Jamie Rivers’
relatives own and operate this store.  When Jamie heard about the Resident
Manager’s position being open, he got in touch with his bride-to-be, Brooke
West, and she jumped at the opportunity of serving as Resident Manager
explaining that she is a “mountain girl.”  On Tuesday, February 3, Brooke
drove down from her hometown of Yorktown, Virginia to Rocky Bottom to
interview for the Resident Manager’s position.  I was very impressed with
this attractive 28 year-old lady who demonstrated grace and charm.  Brooke
will be moving into the Resident Manager’s apartment this weekend.  After
she and Jamie Rivers are married later this spring Jamie will join Brooke in
the Resident Manager’s apartment as their place of residence.  Jamie grew up
in the Sunset area and knows most of the people in Rocky Bottom.  Brooke is
a student of Regent University located in Virginia Beach.  Initially she was
studying ecology and biology but she is now pursuing a Masters in Christian
Theology.  She will pursue this discipline online and upon completing her
education, she would like to do missionary work.  Brooke says she will
commit three years to RBRCCB as Resident Manager and it seems anymore that
three years is just about all you can expect from any Resident Manager.
Brooke has worked at different places including the Marriott International
in Newport News, Virginia as a desk clerk and a night auditor.  At the
Marriott she also worked in the kitchen and janitorial services which was
not beneath her, she said.  In addition to her studying, she worked at
Colonial Williamsburg where she is a sales interpreter.  Brooke is a very
cultured lady and possesses attributes we like to see in people.
Federationists across the state will want to meet Brooke and of course we
want Brooke to meet as many federationists as possible.  Jamie is employed
by a tax firm in the Greenville area and his employer has contributed the
cost of carpeting for the Resident Manager’s apartment to be installed
tomorrow.  We have also changed all of the locks in this new beginning.
Saturday is Valentine’s Day and you fellas better not forget your
sweethearts.

Final Thought:  “Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to
prey.” - Lord Byron