[Nfbofsc] Positive Note No. 1488

parnell at twc.com parnell at twc.com
Wed Feb 18 15:01:17 UTC 2015

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              The Columbia Marriott is now accepting reservations for what will no doubt be the best State Convention in NFB of SC history during the weekend of August 21 through 23!  Reservations for the Event will be made by individual attendees directly with Marriott reservations at (800) 593-6465 or (803) 771-7000.  You can also use this link to make your reservations online.

http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=Natl%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%5Ecaemh%60nfbnfba%6095%60USD%60false%608/20/15%608/23/15%608/1/15&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes

The rates this year for a room accommodating up to four guests are $95 per night plus tax, which is currently 12 percent.  The hotel will ask for a credit card number or a first night deposit.  Rates are also good on August 20 for those who want to arrive early, but there are not as many rooms available on Thursday evening so hurry if you want to come in on Thursday.

              You should make your reservations now but no later than July 31.  In fact, while we have a deadline of July 31, there is no guarantee that hotel rooms will last until then.  Thus, it would be prudent to get this detail taken care of early.  This is also a great time to hold chapter fundraisers to provide financial assistance for members who want to attend the State Convention.

Let me say a word about the National Scholarship Program.  The deadline for applications is March 31.  I have been receiving some calls about the application process so I know that the information is available in the public, but I need your help promoting the program to as many blind students as possible.  For more information, students should visit www.nfb.org.

             If you call the State Office this week, you will note that David Houck is out of town.  We are so fortunate that Dorothy Barksdale is holding down the fort at the Federation Center in David’s absence.  Thank you to Dorothy Barksdale.

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want:  blindness is not what holds you back.  Joining me for comments in this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

              I am happy to dedicate this part of the Positive Note to my good friends David and Darlene Houck.  A few days ago David told me that in appreciation 32 years of volunteer service by his dear wife, Darlene, he was going to take her on a Caribbean cruise and I could not be more pleased.  Both of them richly deserve this vacation cruise.  Thirty-two years ago in April 1983 David and Darlene were being interviewed by the Board of Trustees for the position of Executive Director of the Federation Center.  I well remember that occasion as it was during the annual barbecue.  I recall David and Darlene answered each and every question with poise and confidence and with accuracy.  It did not take the Board of Trustees very long to offer the job to David.  At that time I did not know David had been working with the Greenville Chapter and no doubt he learned a lot from that experience, especially since Bob Bell was President of the Greenville Chapter.  At the time of the interview their son Martin was just two months old.  Thus, both of their sons grew up in the federation, especially the Federation Center.  Kevin was born three years later.  Over the years I have come to rely upon David for many situations and responsibilities.  For example, David has worked with the weekly Positive Notes beginning in August of 1986.  He has also worked with me in getting out the Palmetto Blind.  David and Darlene attended all of the state conventions and all but one of the national conventions because of Darlene having serious surgery.  I’m particularly fond of Darlene because over the years she has done a great service to me, delivering things to my house and running other errands, etc.  As the NFB of SC continued to grow, David’s responsibilities increased.  Frankly, I don’t know what we would do without David and Darlene.  As the budget was challenged and United Way assistance decreased, David also began to assume the role of secretary as he handles dictation and transcription, etc.  He has provided outstanding service to me in putting the Palmetto Blind together, assembling various articles suitable for publication.  David served as Treasurer for Rocky Bottom and the NFB of SC for a number of years.  In addition to serving as Center Executive director, David is a valuable member of the Board of Directors of RBRCCB.  David and Darlene are strong Christians.  They are members of Grace Baptist Church in West Columbia.  They have served this church well for about 20 years.  For about 15 years, David and Darlene served as AWANA youth leaders.  In conclusion, may David and Darlene greatly enjoy themselves this week on their Caribbean cruise.

Final Thought:  “The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.” —Max DePree