[Nfbofsc] Columbias Chapter Newsletter & Fishing Trip Application

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Mon Jan 12 17:30:18 UTC 2015

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

JANUARY 9, 2015            HAPPY NEW YEAR!

JANUARY 31, 2015 STATEWIDE SEMINAR

              The Federation Center of the Blind will host the annual NFB of
SC Statewide Seminar on Saturday, January 31 between 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Please call the Center at 254-3777 and let us know you are coming or you can
return the filled out forms we sent by mail regarding the seminar and
Orlando Bus Fund.  President Diggs says in his Positive Note:

              "The seller of the winning ticket will receive $300, the buyer
of the winning ticket will also receive $300, and the chapter which sells
the most tickets will receive $300.  The remainder will be held in a bank
account to help cover the cost of a chartered bus to Orlando.  We are also
offering seats on the chartered bus for those interested in traveling to
Orlando on the chartered bus at a cost of $70 per seat.

              We have begun receiving dues from some chapters, but we need
to hear from others.  Annual state dues are a very affordable $10 per
member.  This is also an excellent time to update your chapter rolls and
tell us about the contact information for your members.  Remember that state
dues are late if they are not in by January 1, and your membership is not in
good standing if not paid by January 31.  Columbia Chapter members, turn
your $15 annual dues in to Tiffany Mitchell, Phil Watridge or David Houck.

              We have been running an auction during the Statewide Seminar
for the past few years to raise funds for the Federation Center, and I am
inclined to do so again in 2015.  It would be wonderful if we could gather
enough items to auction something off between each presentation.  Please
give this some thought and try to come up with something great!  We need
your auction items."

COLUMBIA CAHPTER MEETING JANUARY 8

              The Columbia Chapter meeting was presided over by Tiffany
Mitchell who stepped in as President from First Vice President as Steve
Sheck had to resign his position due to a serious illness and Wanda will
undergo surgery as well.  Isaiah Nelson stepped up from Second Vice
President to First Vice President and there will be an election in February
for the Second Vice President's position.  Tiffany Mitchell appointed a
nominating Committee consisting of David Houck as Chairman and Harriet
Davis, Neil Dorsay, Katherine Zeigler and Joe Dunham.  Please let them know
if you want to run for Second Vice President.  This was adopted by the
membership in a vote upon a motion made by Donald Capps.

              Our guest speaker was Derric Becker from the SC Emergency
Management Division and he discussed safety measures for South Carolina's
citizens in times of emergency for whatever purpose.  Isaiah Nelson had
prepared a fine spaghetti dinner and it is noted that because of the ever
rising cost of food, beginning in February, the dinner will cost $6 per
person, only a $1 increase.  Isaiah does the best he can to keep costs down
and he does a good job at that.  Our devotional was given by Mia Green and
Jim Jackson as Mia sang "I Don't Know About Tomorrow."

The 2015 Barbecue Committee Meeting will be held on January 2 at 5:00 p.m.

On Sunday, January 25, we will take a van to the Church of the Harvest for
their 10:30 a.m. service.  If you need a van ride call Tiffany at 834-6108.
On Saturday, February 21 between 8:00 and 11:00 a.m. we will be holding an
all you can eat breakfast for $10 per person.  We need cash donations and
food items to cover the breakfast items.  Call tiffany at 834-6108 if you
plan to donate items.  Please get your donations or donated items in to the
Federation Center in advance of the breakfast.

Shelley Coppel spoke about the Senior Division raffle drawing to be held
with three prizes to be given away at the Statewide Seminar.  You can get
tickets from her.

The Treasurer's report was read by Phil Watridge and the balance in the
checkbook was $656.78.  David Houck gave the Center report concerning the
Statewide Seminar and improvements to the facilities.  $42.50 was won by
Mary Urbanek in the 50-50 drawing.

Tiffany Mitchell, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC

FUNDRAISING (BBQ) COMMITTEE

Tiffany Mitchell & Frank Coppel, Co-Chairmen

Don and Betty Capps

Ed & Julie Bible

Isaiah Nelson

Maggie Floyd

Pat Wolthoff

Phil WAtridge

Patronda Anderson

David Houck

Shelley Coppel

Dorothy Barksdale

Julia Rembert

Katherine Zeigler

Catherine Williams

Harriet Davis

Leon Hines, Sr.

Kattie Jackson

Ernest Gallman

Priscilla Alston

SANTEE FISHING TRIP APPLICATION

First-come, first served by date application is received:

              #1 Priority to those who have not gone before.

                           #2 Priority to those who did not go last year.

                                         #3 Priority to those who did go
last year.

All applications must be received by February 28

REGISTRATION AND LIABILITY RELEASE FORM

Santee Lions Club - Blind Fishing

Date and time and hotel location not set yet - Approximately the weekend of
April 25

PLEASE PRINT - EXCEPT FOR VAN DRIVER, ALL APPLICANTS MUST BE LEGALLY BLIND

Check One:

____ I have never gone before OR  ___ I did not go last year OR  ___I did go
last year.

Check One:

___ I need van transportation OR  ___ I will use my own transportation

Check One:

____100% Blind Fisherman OR  ____Visually Impaired Fisherman  OR_ ___ Van
Driver

Name__________________________  Sex_____   Age _______

Address_______________________ Phone____________________

City________________,_SC  Zip Code__________

Do you require hotel room for Friday night? ______Smoking?
_____Non-smoking?_______

Will you bring a seeing-eye dog?___ _Any physical
restrictions?______________________

Person to call in case of emergency  _______________________

Relationship __________  Telephone_______________ City ________________

I understand and agree that I will be participating in this event at my own
risk and I do hereby certify that: The Lions Clubs, the South Carolina
Commission for the Blind, the Federation of the Blind, their employees and
individual members, any and all volunteers involved in this event, including
volunteer boat owners and/or operators, and volunteer providers of emergency
medical services are not liable for any personal injuries or losses that may
occur as a direct, or indirect, result of my participation in this event.

______ I have read the above release

______ The above release was read to me by ____________________________

Participant's Signature ________________________________ Date ____________

Participant shirt size (circle one)  Medium    Large    XLarge   XXLarge
XXXLarge

              Complete and return to:   David Houck

              Return by February 28     Federation Center of the Blind

                                                                      119 S.
Kilbourbe Rd.

Columbia, SC 29205  email: nfbsc at sc.rr.com