[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1483

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jan 14 13:54:33 UTC 2015

January 14, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1483

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              We really need to be working on our $1 bus tickets in these
last few weeks before the January 31 Statewide Seminar.  As I explained last
week, we use the bus ticket proceeds to pay for our chartered bus to the
National Convention.  We collect proceeds through the sale of $1 tickets and
conduct a drawing at the Statewide Seminar, which will occur, again, on
January 31.

The seller of the winning ticket will receive $300, the buyer of the winning
ticket will also receive $300, and the chapter which sells the most tickets
will receive $300.  The remainder will be held in a bank account to help
cover the cost of a chartered bus to Orlando.  We are also offering seats on
the chartered bus for those interested in traveling to Orlando on the
chartered bus at a cost of $70 per seat.

For those who decide to "opt out" of the chartered bus campaign, I would
point out that I would not ask others to do what I am not willing to do.
Thus, even though I have not ridden the bus for years, we have bought and
sold bus tickets every year to support this important initiative, as have
many NFB of SC leaders.  We need to each do our fair share to make the
campaign successful.

We have begun receiving dues from some chapters, but we need to hear from
others.  Annual state dues are a very affordable $10 per member, or just
over 80 cents per month.  This is also an excellent time to update contact
information for your members.  Remember that state dues are late if they are
not in by January 1, and your membership is not in good standing if not paid
by January 31.

During the Statewide Seminar, we will be running an auction to raise funds
for the Federation Center.  It would be wonderful if we could gather enough
items to auction something off between each presentation.  Please give this
some thought and try to come up with something great!  We need your auction
items in abundance.

Congratulations to Tiffany Mitchell, who is the new President of our
Columbia Chapter.  Tiffany is taking over for Steve Sheck, who needed to
step back for health reasons.  I appreciate Steve's service and the
excellent support of his devoted wife Wanda.  I was at the Columbia Chapter
meeting in December and noted the tremendous amount of love and kindness
shown by the Shecks.

They worked long into the night, following the chapter meeting, to help
David Houck address a maintenance issue.  No one knew about this after
people had returned to their homes, but the Shecks and the Houcks were there
doing the work that no one else would have wanted to do.  I am also excited
about Tiffany Mitchell's prospects as our Columbia Chapter President, and I
am looking for great things from Columbia in 2015!

I have a very important announcement about the new NFB of SC website from
the President of our Computer Science and Technology Division, Steve Cook.
Here is what he says.

"If you are a Chapter or Division President in the NFB of SC and would like
to make sure information about your chapter or division is on our new NFB of
SC website, please send the below information to cookcafe at sc.rr.com.  If you
do not have Email access, give me a call at (803) 254-0222, be sure to leave
me a message if we do not answer the phone.

For example: name of NFB of SC Chapter or Division, names and positions of
chapter or division officers, contact information for your chapter.  This
can be a phone number, Email or any other method you choose for someone to
contact you.  (Be sure to have the individual's permission to post their
name on the website).  You may want to list the meeting time and location
for your chapter or division,  IE: the 3rd Tuesday of each month at Pizza
Hut 123 Example Road, Columbia, SC 29201 from 7:00 to 8:30.

List any cost associated with meetings (such as meals, chapter
transportation if any, etc.).  Or any other information you feel people may
want to know about your chapter or division."

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Our Columbia Chapter held its first meeting of the New Year on
Thursday, January 8.  Steve Sheck who was re-elected as President in October
advised the gathering that health conditions have resulted in his decision
to resign as President.  His wife Wanda is also experiencing health
conditions.  Both of them will continue their participation in the chapter.
Steve has been a member of the federation for several decades.  He has
served as chapter President on several occasions.  Everyone wishes the
Shecks the very best and trust that both will secure good health.  Tiffany
Mitchell who was elected First Vice President of the chapter in October
assumed the presidency upon Steve's resignation.  Isaiah Nelson assumed the
office of First Vice President as he was elected Second Vice President in
October.  Both Tiffany and Isaiah have been members of the federation for
some time.  I believe that both will do well in their new offices.  I was
glad to tell both of them that I will be supportive.  At the February
meeting there will be an election to fill the office of Second Vice
President.  David Houck serves as Chairman of the Nominating Committee which
will nominate a candidate for the Second Vice President's office.  The guest
speaker was Derric Becker who is the public information officer for the SC
Emergency Management Division.  Mr. Becker stated he has the responsibility
of coordinating help upon the occurrence of a natural disaster such as
hurricanes, tornadoes and even earthquakes.  There was a lively question and
answer period as there was much interest in Mr. Becker's presentation.
Tiffany Mitchell called upon David Houck for the Center's report concerning
the Statewide Seminar and improvements to the Center's facilities.  No doubt
there have been other chapter meetings across the state as the New Year has
gotten off to a good beginning.  Each month the Columbia Chapter has a
dinner meeting which is prepared by Isaiah Nelson.  We are indebted to "Ike"
as he is affectionately called, for his outstanding service in the
preparation of the food.

              For more than 40 years there has been held a Statewide Seminar
at the Federation Center of the Blind.  Annually, some 200 members attend
this statewide gathering.  It is a most important conference and members
appreciate the mid-winter meeting.  As you have been notified, this year's
Statewide Seminar will be held on Saturday, January 31.  I look forward to
seeing all of you at that time.

              As covered in our recent Positive Notes, Lawton Memorial Hall
at RBRCCB is in need of repairs.  We have approached foundations in making a
grant to cover the $6,800 cost of the repairs.  Meanwhile, we have received
the first contribution for this project in the amount of $100 from Carolyn
Lawton who we believe is a relative of our founder, Dr. Samuel Miller
Lawton.  Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

              There is a transition involving the Resident Manager's
position at RBRCCB.  The vacancy was brought about by financial impropriety.
The RBRCCB Board of Directors is well aware of this transition.  January and
February are understandably the slowest months of the year.  However, the
state office is available for service during this transition.  A new
Resident Manager will be secured as soon as possible.

Final Thought:  "Sometimes the quickest way to learn how to do something is
to be placed in charge of the project."