[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1485

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Jan 27 16:09:45 UTC 2015

January 27, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1485

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              Greetings from Washington, DC!  We are on Capitol Hill today
meeting with members of South Carolina's Congressional delegation about our
priorities for the First Session of the 114th Congress.  Consider this our
special, pre-seminar Positive Note, as we are just four days away from the
long-awaited, and much anticipated, 2015 Statewide Seminar starting at 10:00
AM this Saturday.

We will adjourn no later than 4:00 PM to allow those who are traveling from
out-of-town to get back home before the hour grows too late.  I hope you are
planning to bring your bus tickets with you to the Seminar if you have not
yet sent them in:  for they may not reach us if you mail them now.  We are
raising money through the sale of $1 raffle tickets to help cover the cost
of the chartered bus to the Orlando National Convention!

The jackpot is $300 for the seller of the winning ticket, $300 for the
purchaser of the winning ticket, and $300 for the chapter which sells the
most tickets.  We need more tickets, so please either sell or buy your
tickets in these final few days.

Speaking of the National Convention, it is time to make reservations for the
Seventy-fifth Anniversary Convention of the National Federation of the blind
occurring this year from July 5 through July 10 in Orlando, Florida.  To do
this, you should write directly to the Rosen Centre Hotel, 9840
International Drive, Orlando, Florida 32819. You can also call the hotel at
(800) 204-7234.

The 2015 room rates are singles, doubles, and twins, $82; and triples and
quads, $89.  In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at
present is 13.5 percent.  No charge will be made for children under
seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.

The hotel is accepting reservations now.  The hotel will want a deposit of
$95 for each room and will want a credit card number or a personal check. If
you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against your card
immediately, just as would be the case with a $95 check. If a reservation is
cancelled before May 28, 2015, half of the deposit will be returned.
Otherwise refunds will not be made.

I have an announcement from the President of the NFB of SC Blind Seniors
Division, Shelley Coppel, who says the following:  "Dear Friends, The Senior
Division is having a drawing at our on Statewide Seminar, January 31.  The
tickets may still be purchased for $2 per ticket, or $5 for 3 tickets.

I will be at the Seminar ready to sell tickets to anyone who has not
purchased them and would like a chance to win.  For those who may still have
tickets out, I would appreciate you returning any blank ones that you might
have, and to turn in any money to me the day of the Seminar.  I will be
sitting at a strategic place so that I am easy to find.  The Senior Division
appreciates all of the support given to us by our affiliate.  Thank you."

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Don't forget to bring auction items and your State Dues this Saturday!
Joining me for comments in this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of
the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr. Capps.

              I am dictating this portion of the Positive Note Tuesday
morning having just returned from spending four days and nights at RBRCCB
participating in the transition of the Resident Manager's position.  We made
a lot of contacts while in RBRCCB but nothing final developed with respect
to employing a Resident Manager.

Janice Taylor who lives on Rocky Bottom Road was Resident Manager of RBRCCB
in the 1980's and early 1990's.  She has very graciously agreed to serve as
Resident Manager for a week.  She wasted no time as she immediately pitched
in Monday, cleaning the buildings which are now ready for occupancy.

Janice is a member of Rocky Bottom Baptist Church and she arranged for me to
participate in the Sunday morning service talking about RBRCCB including the
purpose of the program to serve the blind of the state.  I also emphasized
the fact that RBRCCB and the church are good neighbors and I told the
congregation we were extending to them the use of the Conference Center
dining hall for one day for Easter and Christmas without charge.  We will
receive a donation or love offering for the service.  This was excellent PR
and I could tell by the congregation which gave a round of applause.

Sunday morning, as we were preparing to depart for church, we noticed that
some people were on the grounds and it turned out that our longtime friend
and supporter Ralph M. Ellenburg, Sr.'s granddaughter and
great-granddaughter were there and there will be a wedding the last of May
for their great-granddaughter, Megan Ellenburg to be held in the Conference
Center with rooms being used.  Mr. Ellenburg called me later to confirm the
reservation for his great-granddaughter.  I also talked with Mr. Ellenburg's
caregiver confirming the reservation.

There is now a weather station at the top of Sassafras Mountain which
reports on weather conditions in that area.  On January 8 the station
reported that the temperature was one degree below zero on top of Sassafras
Mountain.  The lowest temperature recorded in the state was in 1985 when the
temperature dropped to 19 degrees below zero on top of Caesar's Head.

We are still accepting applications for the Resident Manager's position at
RBRCCB.  This is an excellent office and we are doing our best to employ the
best possible candidate for the position.  You may phone (803-254-3777) or
email (nfbsc at sc.rr.com) at the Federation Center for an application and we
urge anyone interested to get in touch with us as soon as possible.  I can
be reached at 803-787-0462.

I am looking forward to participating in the Statewide Seminar Saturday.  We
have been having Statewide Seminars for 45 years.  Initially these seminars
were utilized to develop local and state leaders but over the years this
program has expanded and is an excellent one-day conference.  I look forward
to seeing you this Saturday.

Final Thought:  "When the shadow covers you it cannot hurt you; however, the
shadow does keep you from receiving the benefit of the sunlight."