[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1508

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Thu Jul 9 12:20:02 UTC 2015

July 9, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

              Greetings from Orlando, Florida, the site of the Diamond
Anniversary Convention of the National Federation of the Blind.  As I write
this edition of the Positive Note, I have returned to my hotel room on the
24th floor of the Rosen Center after the close of the opening session.

              It is a big day in the federation family!  This morning at
6:15 a.m. federationists began lining up to walk outside to get into
formation and create the largest umbrella mosaic in history according to the
Guinness Book of World Records.

              The previous record was 2,170 participants, and that record is
no more.  This morning in Orlando 2,487 participants according to the
Guinness Book of World Records, created a mosaic which featured the
federation message, "live the life you want" which could be recognized from
above.

              Just a few feet over our heads as we stood under the Orlando
morning skies, an unmanned drone flew around the Rosen Center property
taking photographs to provide an image of what could be seen from overhead.
As you could imagine an incredible amount of planning went into this
historic event with workers making preparations for this attempt for the
past several mornings beginning at 5:00 a.m.  When I arrived at the spot
where I was to stand to help create the image, I found an umbrella at my
feet; and at the appointed time I (along with 2,486 others) raised my
umbrella above my head for five minutes creating the mosaic that could be
read from the sky.

              Other convention notes are also very positive.  Dorothy
Barksdale did a wonderful job handling the responsibilities as chartered bus
captain, helping many of our members get to Orlando Sunday.  South Carolina
is 8th in attendance thus far with a total of 88 registered by the end of
the day on Monday.  In fact, some of our members have to sit elsewhere
because there are too few seats in the South Carolina delegation.  As I
remarked to Dorothy, this is a most delightful problem to have.

              During yesterday's board meeting I announced that I will not
be a candidate for the National Board in 2015, as President Riccabono has
asked me to close my law practice and relocate to Baltimore in order to
manage Governmental Affairs at the NFB Jernigan Institute.  I am honored
that our national president thinks highly of South Carolina to once again
look to our membership as a source of talent to work at our national
headquarters.  As you know Chris Danielsen also works at the national
headquarters as did our own Dan Frye for a number of years.

              President Riccabono has asked me to preside at our convention
this August in Columbia.  Thus, I will look forward to participating in the
convention; however, I will resign the Presidency effective at the close of
the convention.  There are many details to be worked out regarding the
agenda, the reception and other matters, and I look forward to your help in
making this the best convention ever.

              Our room block is nearly gone.  If you want a room, you are
urged to act immediately by calling 803-771-7000.  The deadline is July 31
but I don't believe the rooms will last that long.  We will be returning to
South Carolina on Saturday after the close of the convention, and I will
fill you in on our convention happenings in next week's Positive Note.  For
now, goodbye from Orlando.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we
raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you
want:  blindness is not what holds you back.  Joining me for comments in
this Positive Note is the President Emeritus of the NFB of SC.  Here is Dr.
Capps.

              We are having a flashback feature in this Positive Note of the
2002 NFB of SC convention which should be of interest to all of you.  Here
is what happened in August of 2002:  The August 9-11, 2002 Columbia
convention of the NFB of SC was held at the Adam's Mark Hotel and featured
NFB President Dr. Marc Maurer as our National Representative.  Some 325
delegates registered at the convention and attended exhibits in the Exhibit
Hall, NFB of SC Parent's, Merchants and Student division meetings and
Resolutions and Ellen Beach Mack Home Award committee meetings.  The evening
Reception was a highlight of the day's events.

              The Saturday morning RBRCCB board breakfast conducted regular
business such as Fun Day preparations with Dr. Maurer attending.  The
Saturday morning session consisted of an invocation and greetings by
federation officials as well as convention arrangements.  Dr. Marc Maurer
gave the National Report recounting the progress of the NFB over the past
year.  Commissioner Dr. Nell Carney gave the report from the Commission for
the Blind which was embroiled in an LAC audit report.  The NFB of SC fought
to support the Commission's services for the blind in the LAC matter.
President Dr. Sheila Breitweiser reported on the progress of the School for
the Deaf and Blind over the past year including renovations made to Walker
Hall.  Miss Guynell Williams, Director of Talking Book Services updated the
delegates concerning talking books and being the first state agency to carry
NFB Newsline services, giving the blind access by phone to daily newspapers
in SC and nationwide.  Parnell Diggs gave the Presidential Report which was
inspiring and is carried in the November 2002 edition of the Palmetto Blind.
At the noontime luncheon Sen. Verne Smith received the Legislator of the
Year Award and Congressman Joe Wilson was the keynote speaker.  Both were
instrumental on legislative issues for the blind statewide and nationally.

The afternoon session featured an all blind employment panel explaining how
each had achieved excellent career opportunities.  Chairman Donald Capps
reported on the RBRCCB program including Fun Day coming up, children's camps
and senior blind camps, etc.  David Houck reported on the Federation Center
of the Blind and recent upgrades in adaptive computer training in our
Computer Lab.  Marty McKenzie spoke concerning the education of blind
children in South Carolina.  A panel of several federation members spoke
about why they are federationists which was inspired.  The delegates also
heard from the President of the Ivy Creek Guide Dog School.  Chapter and
Division Presidents reported on the progress of their activity over the past
year.  Edsel Doyle gave the 2003 Louisville Convention Bus Fund report and
bus tickets were distributed.  Dr. Marc Maurer gave the banquet keynote
address recounting what he learned from previous conventions (his first
being the NFB of SC 1969 state convention).  Betsy Hunnicutt received the
Educator of the Year Award, Sears of Spartanburg received the Employer of
the Year Award, James Nelson received the Ellen Beach Mack Home Award, Rocky
Bottom Advisory Board member Dr. Clarence "Spike" Hans received the
Associate Member of the Year Award, Diane Collins received the Donald C.
Capps Award and 15 scholarships were distributed to deserving blind college
students.  Federation attorney Eugene Rogers received a convention
resolution in his honor and Center Advisory Board member Rex Wilson received
the Distinguished Service Award.  Barry Chavis was the recipient of the
Presidential Citation.  Prior to the Sunday morning session the NFB of SC
Board of Directors held a board breakfast.  Henry Kluizenaar performed the
Devotional and Memorial Service, Chris Danielsen gave the Resolutions
Committee Report, the annual financial reports were read for the NFB of SC
and RBRCCB, various national stewardship reports were given and elections
were held.  All five executive board positions were re-elected and other
positions elected included Diane Collins, Nancy Hines, Marty McKenzie, Fred
Vercher and Billy Eubanks. Other delegates attending included the states of
Mississippi, Maryland and Indiana.  It was a busy and exciting convention!
Our thoughts are with the SC delegation attending this week's 75th
anniversary convention of the NFB and we will look forward to hearing about
it.  We have mixed emotions about President Diggs as we will certainly miss
him when he leaves South Carolina for Baltimore but this certainly is a
tremendous honor for him to have been appointed by President Riccabono as
Director of Governmental Affairs which is a very high and important
position.

Final Thought:  Celebrating 75 years of service to blind Americans through
the National Federation of the Blind.   A Diamond Anniversary!