[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1509

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jul 15 13:58:08 UTC 2015

July 15, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

              We are back from the historic Diamond Anniversary Convention
of the National Federation of the Blind, and what a Convention it was!
President Riccobono was magnificent in presiding over the entire Convention
program and brought down the house with his Banquet Address and the
Presidential Report.  The movement is in excellent hands for the next
generation.

Dorothy Barksdale did an excellent job as bus captain and was complementary
of the passengers' willingness to follow instructions and for their help in
making the trip as smooth as possible.  The NFB of SC placed 8th in
attendance with nearly one hundred members registered out of over 2800
registered from across the nation and around the world.

As we look to the State Convention, I must emphasize the important message
that the Columbia Marriott only has a few rooms remaining in our room block
even though our cut-off date is July 31.  Remember, the block may not last
that long.  You must act now!  Please call to make reservations for the 2015
State Convention during the weekend of August 21 through 23!

Reservations for the Convention should be made directly with Marriott
reservations at (800) 593-6465 or (803) 771-7000.  Every year, I receive
calls from members who ask me to step in and secure a room for them, but in
fairness I am telling you now that I will not be able to intervene this time
because there are other events taking place as well during the weekend we
are in town, and the hotel really will be out of rooms, and there will be
nothing we can do.

Pre-registration is also open.  The very affordable price of $70 per person
will give you admission to all events and cover your meals from Friday
evening dinner through Sunday morning breakfast.  Please make checks out to
the NFB of SC and send them to the State Office noting which members are
covered with each payment.

In the meantime, I will be handling plans for the Convention along with our
host chapter, Columbia, and President Tiffany Mitchell and her team.  Frank
Coppel will also be in Columbia between now and the Convention and will be
heavily involved in Convention preparations and is eminently qualified to be
our State President following the Convention and for the next number of
years.

At this writing, Kim, Jordan, and I are preparing to depart for Baltimore.
They will be helping me to get settled, as I prepare to assume
responsibilities as Director of Government Affairs on Monday, July 20.  Our
family will be maintaining two households for a time, and I will be
commuting from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach.  Kim and Jordan will remain in
South Carolina and will visit me in Baltimore from time-to-time.  While not
typical, this arrangement is becoming more common in the twenty-first
century.

Incidentally, I plan to be at Rocky Bottom for the Annual Fun Day Festival,
as I agreed to serve as Auctioneer several months ago.  In fact, Kim and
Jordan also plan to attend, and we will be joined by Kim's parents for the
weekend as well.  And remember, even though I will be spending most of my
time in Baltimore working at the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute, we will still be relatives in the Federation family.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              The year was 1989 and the NFB of SC and the Columbia Chapter
were hosting a membership dinner at the Federation Center.  I situated
myself at the entrance of the Federation Center in order to extend a warm
welcome to everyone who attended.  I was especially eager to be sure that
every new attendee was important and made to feel exceptionally welcome.  A
young blind man who was a student at USC entered the Center and we exchanged
greetings.  His name was Parnell Diggs.  He brought along his faithful
guitar and during the memorable evening he entertained the turnout.  It was
learned that he performed at different restaurants to earn spending money to
help with his expenses at USC where he was a student and later would be
attending law school.  Parnell obviously was impressed with the
presentations made at the dinner and readily signed on with the organization
that would later change his life.  Soon he would be attending his first NFB
of SC state convention where he was tremendously impressed as members of
Congress were present as well as NFB national leaders and a host of
enthusiastic blind leaders from across the state.  He soon attended his
first national convention and by that time he had become wholly committed to
a lifetime of service to his fellow blind, both statewide and nationally.
Parnell showed his commitment by serving in many offices.  Only 19 when he
had joined the federation, Parnell served in the Student Division and later
he served on the Federation Center's board, on the RBRCCB board and on the
NFB of SC board where he ultimately served as Treasurer.  At the 2000 NFB of
SC convention, Parnell was elected state President by acclamation and served
in that capacity continuously.  While there were numerous achievements under
his leadership, the Blind Person's Right to Parent Act passed unanimously in
both the House and Senate in July of 2014 without even one descanting vote
which was remarkable.  Parnell was elected to the national board in 2007 and
served until his recent resignation to accept this important position as
Director of Governmental Affairs.  There's no question in my mind but that
he will serve with distinction in his new office.  He has our very best
wishes.  Of course, we will miss him.  I'm glad that he will be at the state
convention and at RBRCCB during the Fun Day Festival where he will serve as
auctioneer.  It's not too early to get auction items.  I'm glad that the
entire Diggs family and Kim's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Gossett will be
participating in the Labor Day Fun Day Festival.  Frank Coppel is eminently
qualified to serve as President of the NFB of SC and he has my total
support.  We have other state officers who will step up to the plate and
provide good leadership.  Parnell will join another prominent South
Carolinian when he reports to work on July 20, this being Chris Danielsen.
They have been longtime friends and practiced law together for a while.  The
NFB of SC is proud of these native sons.  Finally, our thoughts and prayers
are with Kim and Jordan as they make this transition.

Final Thought:  "Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in
adversity". - Aristotle