[Nfbofsc] FW: SC Convention Awards

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Mon Jun 1 16:53:58 UTC 2015

Subject: SC Convention Awards

June 1, 2015

Memo To:  Chapter & Division Presidents & Others

From:  Frank Coppel, Chairman, Associate Member of the Year Award Committee

Now is the time to send in your nominations for the Associate Member of the
Year Award which will be given at the NFB of SC State Convention Banquet on
Saturday evening, August 22.  This award is given to a sighted Associate
member of the NFB of SC who demonstrates outstanding service to the blind on
a local, state and even a national level.  Please write your reasons why
your nominee should win the award and submit it to me by no later than
August 1 so that the committee can make their deliberations before the
convention.  Your candidate must attend the State Convention Banquet to
accept the award if chosen.  Send them to:

Frank Coppel, Chairman

Associate Member of the Year Award

847 Jefferson St.

W. Columbia, SC 29169

frankcoppel at att.net

It is a good idea to have others who want to back your candidate to write as
well.  If you nominated someone in previous years that did not win, feel
free to nominate him or her again.  Since there are always so many
outstanding candidates, we would prefer that your nominee not be a previous
recipient of the award.  There are always several good nominees from which
the committee must choose.  I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Remember, the recipient must attend the convention banquet in order to
receive their award.

June 1, 2015

Memo To:          Donald C. Capps Award Committee,

Chapter & Division Presidents & Others

From:    David Houck, Chairman

The Donald C. Capps Award was established with the purpose of recognizing
annually a blind member of the NFB of SC who has demonstrated leadership in
their local chapter and/or division, Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference
Center of the Blind, the NFB of SC and NFB nationally.  It is awarded to
that member who has gone the extra mile in service to the blind.  It is also
given to that blind member who is well thought of by their peers in the NFB
of SC.  You see, the membership of the NFB of SC nominates the candidates.

All you need to do to nominate a voting (blind) member of the NFB of SC is
to send me a letter by no later than August 1 stating who you want to
nominate, what this person has accomplished in the Federation, and what the
candidate has done in work with the blind.  It helps if we receive letters
from others who want to promote your candidate (to write us in their own
words) as well.  In past years, there have been many good candidates
nominated, and if you have promoted one from a previous year who has never
received the award, feel free to nominate them again this year.

Remember, get your letters in to David Houck, Donald C. Capps Award
Committee Chairman, 119 S. Kilbourne Rd., Columbia, SC 29205  or to
nfbsc at sc.rr.com no later than August 1.    The members of the Donald C.
Capps Award Committee will all receive copies of your correspondence and
will be polled to select the recipient.  The winning recipient must attend
and will be announced at the NFB of SC Convention Banquet on Saturday
evening, August 22 at the Marriott Hotel in Columbia.

Please read this memo at your next chapter meeting.  Be sure that your
candidate is there which is a requirement to receive the award.  I look
forward to hearing from you soon.  Should you have any questions, please
call me at the state office at 803-254-3777.

June 1, 2015

Memo To:          Chapter & Division Presidents

                           & Employer of the Year Award Committee

From:    Ed Bible, Chairman

The Employer of the Year Award is to be presented this year at the NFB of SC
Convention at the Marriott Hotel in Columbia, Saturday, August 22 at the NFB
of SC convention Banquet.  As in past years, we are seeking nominations for
this award from you concerning employers who demonstrate a proven track
record in hiring the blind.  All you need to do is to write me a letter
describing the employer you have in mind, what they have done in hiring the
blind, the name, address and phone number of the business and the contact
person there.  It is important that company representatives attend the
convention banquet in order to receive the award.  Get your nominations in
to me by no later than August 1 and send them to:

              Ed Bible, Chairman

              Employer of the Year Award Committee

              136 Penny Lane

              Lexington, SC 29073

              ebible at sc.rr.com

The deadline is important so that the committee can make a decision and the
plaque can be ordered in time for the convention.

June 1, 2015

Memo To:  NFB of SC Chapter & Division Presidents

From:  Marty McKenzie, Chairperson, Educator of the Year Award

Dear Colleagues:

At the August 21-23, 2015 NFB of SC Convention at the Columbia Marriott
Hotel, we will be recognizing an outstanding educator who instructs blind
students in South Carolina.  You are invited to nominate the possible
recipient.  Please send me a letter describing your nominee, their name,
address, phone number and school they teach at along with a detailed
description as to why you believe this nominee should receive the award.  I
need to receive your nomination by August 1 so the decision can be made by
the committee.  The chosen recipient will need to attend the NFB of SC
convention banquet on Saturday evening, August 22.  Please send your
nominations to:

Marty McKenzie

1516 Lucky Rd.

Lack City, SC 29560