[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1503

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jun 3 12:35:57 UTC 2015

June 3, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1503

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              In just a few weeks, we will be heading to Orlando for the
Seventy-fifth Annual National Federation of the Blind Convention.  Rooms at
the Rosen Centre, the convention hotel (as well as the spill-over hotel) are
gone; however, President Riccobono has worked hard to secure other
accommodations for those who are still looking for rooms.  Visit NFB.org for
more details.

At last count, some fifty-two Federationists have reserved seats on the
chartered bus.  Some have indicated that they want a seat and have promised
to send in their deposits, but we must give seats to members on a first-come
first-served basis.  We have only four seats remaining, which is a
tremendous accomplishment given that we had relatively few seats reserved in
early May.  You’d better act now!

Remember that on Wednesday morning of the National Convention, we will be
attempting to set a world record for the largest umbrella mosaic.  Come and
be one of the some three thousand participants and help set a world record.
More information about this effort is forthcoming in next week’s Positive
Note.

As you know, the State Convention is coming-up fast.  The Columbia Marriott
is now accepting reservations for the 2015 State Convention during the
weekend of August 21 through 23!  Reservations for the Event should be made
directly with Marriott reservations at (800) 593-6465 or (803) 771-7000.

I should also add that pre-reservation is now open for the NFB of SC State
Convention.  The very affordable price of $70 per person will give you
admission to all events and cover your meals from Friday evening dinner
through Sunday morning breakfast.  Please make checks out to the NFB of SC
and send them to the State Office noting which members are covered.

I have an announcement from Scholarship Chairperson, Shannon Cook, about the
upcoming June 15 deadline to apply for a National Federation of the Blind of
South Carolina scholarship.  Here is what she says.  “It is that time of
year again: Scholarship Time!  If you or someone you know will be attending
college or graduate school in the fall of 2015 and is blind, please
encourage them to apply for a 2015 NFB of SC Scholarship.  The web address
is nfbofsc.org.

They can click on the Scholarship link and complete the application.
Scholarships will be awarded at the state convention the weekend of August
21-23.  We also want to remind our chapters and divisions that we are taking
donations, in any amount, for the Metro Fund, which allows the Scholarship
Committee to supplement worthy recipients with a little extra funding.”

On that note, I want to echo Shannon’s comments regarding the need to
support the scholarship program.  Funds can be awarded only if we have them.
The NFB of SC is successful because of its members and their dedication and
generosity.  The more scholarships we have, the more we can give away.
Please keep those donations coming because our students need the help.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Every wedding is important but last Saturday’s wedding was
unusually meaningful.  This is especially true when the wedding is held at
RBRCCB which is located in a beautiful, pristine area.  The
great-granddaughter of our Lifetime Honorary Advisory Board Chairman Mr.
Ralph M. Ellenburg, Sr. was married at RBRCCB on Saturday, May 30 and Rocky
Bottom was honored to host this lifetime experience.

              Correction – Lenora Robertson, our excellent food service
chairperson has advised me of some changes in the meals to be provided at
the Labor Day Fun Day Festival.  The following is the correction:  There
will be a charge of $30 per person for six meals which include Saturday
breakfast and dinner, Sunday breakfast, lunch and dinner and Monday
breakfast.  There will be a charge of $10 for a special meal to take place
at the luncheon on Saturday.  The meal will be extra good as it will include
such things as barbecue, your drink and dessert.   This Saturday lunch is
$10.  Lenora points out that in order to generate some funding for Fun Day
it is necessary to slightly increase the charge for the food during the
Labor Day weekend.  Also, Lenora reminds us that the food costs increased
significantly over the past year which is a factor in the food costs over
Labor Day.

              We have already heard from a number of people who have signed
up for the Fun Day Festival and be sure to get your reservation in right
away.  Reservations will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis.  This
is a busy time for the NFB of SC, NFB and RBRCCB but all activities are
enjoyable.

              With summer almost here RBRCCB will be hosting a variety of
groups which will result in badly needed revenues.  Getting the swimming
pool ready this year has resulted in greater expense than in the past.  Our
Resident Manager Brooke West with valuable help from her fiancée Jami has
already put in a lot of time getting the pool ready.  It appears that at
least $1,000 will be involved including the two day course Brooke
participated in to become a Licensed Pool Operator.  We want to accommodate
as many as possible consistent with the rules and laws according to DHEC.
The Rocky Bottom pool is a private pool.  We want our swimming pool to be
safe for everyone.

              Pansy Psomas at one time was an Associate member of the
Greenwood Chapter.  She recently passed away.  While I remember Pansy, I was
especially fond of her sister Despo Zouras who was a voting member of the
chapter.  Despo attended state and national conventions.  Despo passed away
some years ago.  Despo and the chapter President Tommy McNeill made a very
good combination and provided leadership for the chapter.  We extend sincere
sympathy to the Psomas family in the passing of both Despo and Pansy.

Final Thought:  “We think of things as being finite because we are finite
beings – We live with infinite things because we are also infinite.”