[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1491

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 11 12:44:16 UTC 2015

March 11, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1491

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              I see that chartered bus reservations are beginning to come in
in anticipation of the long awaited Seventy-fifth Anniversary Convention of
the National Federation of the Blind.  The cost of a seat on the bus is $70,
which is an excellent price for a round trip fare to and from Orlando,
Florida.  If you have not done so already, get your reservation in now to
assure yourself of a seat.

It is also time to make hotel reservations for the National Convention,
which will occur this year from July 5 through July 10.  To do this, you
should write directly to the Rosen Centre Hotel, 9840 International Drive,
Orlando, Florida 32819. You can also call the hotel at (800) 204-7234.

The 2015 room rates are singles, doubles, and twins, $82; and triples and
quads, $89.  In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at
present is 13.5 percent.  No charge will be made for children under
seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.

The hotel will expect a deposit of $95 for each room and will want a credit
card number or a personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will
be charged against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a
$95 check. If a reservation is cancelled before May 28, 2015, half of the
deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

And as of this very moment, you are able to pre-register for the National
Convention and avoid those long lines at the hotel.  Pre-registration will
be open through May 31, 2015.  I hope you will take advantage of this
opportunity to experience the national movement at its Diamond Anniversary.

This weekend will feature some important events in the NFB of SC family.
First, President Linda Dizzley would like you to know that our Lee County
Chapter is holding its Black and White Semi Formal Banquet at the South
Carolina Cotton Museum in Bishopville, South Carolina on Saturday evening at
6:00 PM.  The Keynote Speaker is Conway Chapter President Levern Wilson.
For more information, get in touch with Linda Dizzley at 803-428-4273.

Also on Saturday evening at 6:00 PM, the Lancaster County Chapter is holding
a banquet at Deliverance Word of Faith Church, which is located at 500 B
Palmetto Street, Lancaster, South Carolina.  I will have the honor of
keynoting that important event.  For more details, call George Drakeford at
803-762-9131.  It is gratifying to know that we are able to cover the state
with talented Board members who can visit with chapters upon request.

I also want to take a brief moment to remind you of the upcoming meeting of
the NFB of SC Board of Directors at 1:00 PM on Saturday, April 11 at the
Federation Center of the Blind.  We will be doing a great deal of planning
about the State Convention at this meeting, and I need you there.  If you
are a chapter leader, or you see yourself as a chapter leader (regardless of
your title, please consider this your invitation to come.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Thanks President Diggs.  I'm pleased to announce that Jennifer
Bazer will serve as Director of Children's Camp the week of June 7-12.
Jennifer states that she is honored to serve in this important position.
She and her husband Jeff are proud parents of two small children.  Recently,
Jennifer was elected Second Vice President of the Columbia Chapter.  It will
be remembered that Jennifer testified before legislative committees last
year in support of legislation protecting the rights of blind parents.  She
was most effective as no one in the General Assembly voted against this
legislation which was unprecedented.  Congratulations to Jennifer who no
doubt will be an excellent Director of Children's Camp.

              It is gratifying to report that last week's Positive Note
received excellent results with respect to the fund which has been
established to cover the cost of repairs to Lawton Hall.  We received a $100
contribution from the Sumter Chapter whose outstanding leader is Debra Canty
who also serves on the NFB of SC board and the RBRCCB board.  Also, we
received a $100 gift from Mr. Billy Singleton who is a distinguished member
of the Advisory Board of RBRCCB.  In addition we received a $100 pledge from
Dorothy Barksdale who is Secretary of both the RBRCCB board and the NFB of
SC board.  These contributions bring the total of funds for repairs to
Lawton Hall to $600.  We feel confident that other chapters and individuals
will pitch in and contribute to this special fund.  For those chapters who
have a substantial treasury a contribution of $100 will hardly be missed.  I
realize that for those chapters which have a modest treasury may feel the
contribution of $100 to be sacrificial.  I believe that federation members
across the state will follow the lead of Dorothy Barksdale and make a $100
contribution.  With all of us doing our fair share this will lighten the
load.  Let me remind all of us that Lawton Hall belongs to all of us and
therefore, a contribution to the fund is an investment in this excellent
facility.  We need to get started on these repairs as soon as possible.  Our
friends who are not members but read the Positive Note are also invited to
contribute to the Lawton Hall fund.  It would be wonderful to have these
repairs completed by the first week of June which would enable the possible
use of of Lawton Hall for a talent show featuring Children's Camp.

              We are called upon for financial support for different
federation projects which clearly indicates that RBRCCB and the NFB of SC
are providing meaningful service to blind South Carolinians.  Our new
Resident Manager of RBRCCB, Brooke West, wasted no time in getting started
in carrying out her responsibilities.  In her weekly report to the state
office Brooke has reported the following.  The internet is now available in
both the Osterneck Cottage and the Conference Center and email has been
established.  The email address is riversrbrccb at gmail.com. Mold resistant
painting is taking place in the Resident Manager's apartment and the kitchen
in Osterneck Cottage which was needed.  Christmas decorations were taken
down and put away and the Conference Center kitchen which was left dirty was
cleaned.  All bedspreads in Osterneck have been washed and Isaiah Nelson has
scheduled a rental in the Ellenburg Lodge for March 27-29.  It appears that
Brooke has rolled up her sleeves already.  The Board of Directors of RBRCCB
will meet on April 11 in the Conference Room of the Federation Center of the
Blind beginning at 10:00 a.m.

Final Thought:  "Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into
reality." -Warren Bennis