[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1492

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 18 12:35:05 UTC 2015

March 18, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1492

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              It was a pleasure to participate in last Friday's Summit for
Educators of students who are blind or visually impaired in Columbia.  I had
the honor of moderating a literacy panel featuring several outstanding
professionals including Federationists such as Jennifer Bazer, Cali Sandel,
and Nancy Vanderbrink as well as Cindy Popenhagen of the Client Assistance
Program.

Marty McKenzie, who has come to be one of the most respected experts in the
state blindness field today, did an excellent job putting the program
together.  As much as I would have liked to remain in Columbia longer, I
departed Friday afternoon so I could attend my home chapter meeting at 1:00
PM on Saturday before heading to Lancaster County for an evening banquet.

Daisy Drakeford, our President in Lancaster, knows how to put on a good
banquet with delicious food and a wonderful program.  There were some fifty
people present including BELL program coordinator Jennifer Duffell-Hoffman
and her family along with a number of Lancaster Chapter members who have not
been as active lately.  They were excited about recommitting themselves to
the movement and building the Federation.

I spoke with Levern Wilson regarding his trip to Lee County, where some
seventy-five persons gathered for the Black and White Banquet in
Bishopville.  Congratulations to President Linda Dizzley on her great work
putting the event together as well as to Levern Wilson on his inspiring
Keynote Address.  Thus, Saturday evening was a great night for the NFB of SC
family!

The Columbia Marriott is now accepting reservations for what will no doubt
be the best State Convention in NFB of SC history during the weekend of
August 21 through 23!  Reservations for the Event will be made by individual
attendees directly with Marriott reservations at (800) 593-6465 or (803)
771-7000.  You can also use this link to make your reservations online.

http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCor
p.mi?resLinkData=Natl%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%5Ecaemh%60nfbnfba%6095
%60USD%60false%608/20/15%608/23/15%608/1/15&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes

The rates this year for a room accommodating up to four guests are $95 per
night plus tax, which is currently 12 percent.  The hotel will ask for a
credit card number or a first night deposit.  Rates are also good on August
20 for those who want to arrive early, but there are not as many rooms
available on Thursday evening so hurry if you want to come in on Thursday.

You should make your reservations now but no later than July 31.  In fact,
while we have a deadline of July 31, there is no guarantee that hotel rooms
will last until then.  Thus, it would be prudent to get this detail taken
care of early.  This is also a great time to hold chapter fundraisers to
provide financial assistance for members who want to attend the State
Convention.

The State Board will set the State Convention registration rates at its
spring meeting on Saturday, April 11, 2015.  You should plan to attend the
Board meeting and express your opinion.  Of course, if we set the price too
low, people tend to be less satisfied with the food.  State Convention
pre-registration will be open on Monday, June 1, 2015.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              Shortly after mailing last week's Positive Note confirming
that Jennifer Bazer would serve as Children's Camp Director this year, she
notified us stating the following, "I have been on the waiting list for a
replacement guide dog. I just found out yesterday at 5:00 that I will be
returning to The Seeing Eye in Morristown, New Jersey on April 6 for two
weeks with a week of training to follow in Columbia."  Jennifer advised us
that she would be unable to serve as Children's Camp Director in view of the
fact that she will be training for a guide dog during that particular time.
We are grateful to Jennifer for her interest in this important program as
she states the following:  "Please understand my position and know that I am
committed to helping in the future!"  If there is someone who would like to
step up and serve as Director of Children's Camp this year, please promptly
get in touch with me and we will be glad to work with you in the
administration of this program.  It is our belief there will be special
activity for blind and visually impaired children this summer as President
Diggs reports the following:  "The BELL program is a 2-week session, which
involves young blind children receiving instruction in Braille and exposure
to blind adult role models with a highly developed curriculum of education,
fun, and games for program participants."

              We are pleased to announce that we have received additional
contributions to the Lawton Hall Fund.  A contribution of $100 has been
contributed by the Chesterfield County Chapter whose outstanding President
is Dorcas Campbell.  We have received contributions to the Lawton Hall Fund
from two chapters, Sumter and Chesterfield County.  We had just received a
contribution of $100 from Isaiah Nelson who is a devoted and strong leader
in the Columbia Chapter.  We have confidence that we will receive
contributions from other chapters and members and friends from across the
state.  I believe we are perfectly capable in raising the $6,885 we need to
renovate Lawton Hall and it will be noted we are approaching $1,000 in
funding for Lawton Hall.

              At our March 12 Columbia Chapter meeting tickets were
distributed for the 62nd annual barbecue.  That's right, the first annual
barbecue was held in 1954, seven years before the Federation Center was
completed.  This first barbecue was not enthusiastically embraced by the
small Columbia Chapter as this activity was new and members were doubtful as
to its success.  We managed to sell 200 tickets at the first barbecue.  The
cost per plate was $1 and we sold the barbecue for $1.50 per plate.  Thus,
we made a profit of $100 which was a lot in those days.  We were so excited
over the $100 profit that we placed it in an overnight safe.  This very
modest beginning proved to be confident for the succeeding years.  However,
in 1954 there were only two federation chapters, Spartanburg and Columbia,
as the third chapter in Charleston was not organized until 1955.  It is
vitally important that chapters need to have fundraising events to carry out
federation programs.  For the next several weeks I will be selling barbecue
tickets as my goal is to sell 500 tickets which is ambitious to say the
least.

Final Thought:  "To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a
backbone and a funny bone." -Warren Bennis