[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1493

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 25 12:40:25 UTC 2015

March 25, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1493

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              I begin this Positive Note with a huge announcement from the
Director of Public Relations of the National Federation of the Blind, Chris
Danielsen.  Here is what he says.

"Great news! There's now another easy way to stay connected with the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) if you have an iPhone, iPad, or other
iOS device.  Our new mobile app, NFB Connect, is finally here!  You can find
it in the Apple App Store, or just use the following link on your iOS device
to download it directly:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nfb-connect/id968434124.

With NFB Connect, you can quickly and easily read the latest news about the
NFB, find information about upcoming events, access the Braille Monitor and
other publications, listen to presidential releases, find the NFB in your
community, learn about ways to support the National Federation of the Blind,
and more!

Note: We are aware of an issue that prevents the "Chapters and Regional
Info" feature from functioning properly on some devices and are working
diligently to fix the problem.  Download the free NFB Connect app today, and
don't forget to use the Feedback button to let us know how you're using it
and to suggest new features."

I followed Chris's link and downloaded the NFB Connect app myself and
listened to President Riccobono on the March Presidential Release (as I do
not ask others to do what I am not willing to do), and it works great!  NFB
Connect is free and provides a fabulous way to follow Federation activities.

Chartered bus reservations are still coming in in anticipation of the long
awaited Seventy-fifth Anniversary Convention of the National Federation of
the Blind.  The cost of a seat on the bus is $70, which is an excellent
price for a round trip fare to and from Orlando, Florida.  If you have not
done so already, get your reservation in now to assure yourself of a seat
and help us to plan for the logistics.

It is also time to make hotel reservations (as I have done) for the National
Convention, which will occur this year from July 5 through July 10.  To do
this, you should write directly to the Rosen Centre Hotel, 9840
International Drive, Orlando, Florida 32819. You can also call the hotel at
(800) 204-7234.

The 2015 room rates are singles, doubles, and twins, $82; and triples and
quads, $89.  In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at
present is 13.5 percent.  No charge will be made for children under
seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.

The hotel will ask for a deposit of $95 for each room and will want a credit
card number or a personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will
be charged against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a
$95 check. If a reservation is cancelled before May 28, 2015, half of the
deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

I also want to remind you of the upcoming meeting of the NFB of SC Board of
Directors at 1:00 PM on Saturday, April 11 at the Federation Center of the
Blind.  We will be doing a great deal of planning about the State Convention
at this meeting, and I need you there.  If you are a chapter leader, or you
see yourself as a chapter leader (regardless of your title, please consider
this your invitation to come.  Please help us plan for the 2015 State
Convention!

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              In 1986, the weekly Positive Note had its beginning.  Thus, in
2016 this weekly newsletter will celebrate 30 years of service to the
state's blind.  A decision was made in 1986 to have some positive news
distributed weekly across the state.  David Houck tells me that all of the
Positive Notes have been hard bound.  In last week's Positive Note I
especially enjoyed information given concerning President Diggs information
that he had attended a banquet meeting with the Lancaster Chapter.  Daisy
Drakeford is doing an excellent job as chapter President.  Years ago I
visited the Lancaster Chapter from time to time when Hattie Duncan was its
President.  Also, I enjoyed reading about Levern Wilson, President of our
Conway Chapter and member of the NFB of SC board who traveled to Bishopville
to attend a Black and White Banquet for the Lee County Chapter.  I
pleasantly recall visiting the Lee County chapter years ago when the
meetings were held at the County Council on Aging where a Mrs. Garcia was
hostess.

              For a week now I have been focused upon the sale of barbecue
tickets for the Columbia Chapter.  I'm proud to report that I'm making good
progress toward my goal of selling 500 tickets.  Each year I enjoy talking
to my customers who represent banks, insurance agencies, law firms,
construction companies, etc.  I was talking with a customer who has been
purchasing tickets from me for 45 years.  I don't believe that I have any
other customer who has been purchasing from me in this annual project longer
than 45 years.  I have just about a 100% renewal rate but this does change
as people move away, etc.  This is the 62nd annual barbecue and I'm
confident it is one of the longest running civic projects in Columbia.  Each
year I devote a great deal of my time and energy in selling barbecue
tickets.  My efforts are rewarded as profits from the barbecue directly
impacts the extent of financial assistance to chapter projects including
both the national and state conventions.  The barbecue is a good buy for
customers in that plates are sold for only $8.50 each and includes a half
barbecue chicken, green beans, an ear of corn, bread and ice tea if meals
are enjoyed at the Federation Center.  I found my conversations with
customers to be most pleasant with many who seem to appreciate this program
which is a hand-up, not a hand-out.  We have flyers which cover the ways
profits are used to assist the blind which includes 1) alleviate distress
cases, 2) maintain the operation of a van providing transportation to
events, 3) provide wholesome recreational and social activities (including
trips to Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind), 4) assist
deserving members to attend state and national conventions of the National
Federation of the Blind.  In the late 1950's, proceeds from this annual
event were used to establish a special fund, which led to the erection of
the Federation Center of the Blind in 1961, (formerly the Aurora Center)
where these barbecues have been held since that time.  In 1970, some of the
proceeds from the barbecue were used to finance a much-needed expansion of
the Federation Center.  A second expansion of the Center was also supported
in 1978.  In 2011 the Federation Center of the Blind celebrated its 50th
year of service to the blind.  The Federation aids in development of the
social, spiritual and cultural life of the blind throughout the Greater
Columbia area.  Thus, the annual barbecue is an excellent PR initiative.  We
are proud of our members who serve in different capacities.

              Recently, Ed Bible announced that Gov. Haley had appointed him
to another term on the Board of Commissioners of the SC School for the Deaf
and the Blind.  In this capacity, Ed represents the blind of the state and
no doubt does an excellent job.  Ed is an official with the Commission for
the Blind.  He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Federation
Center of the Blind as well as on the Board of Directors of the NFB of SC.
Finally, I trust that you will agree that I have been "positive" in this
Positive Note and I'm glad to participate each and every week.  Our thanks
to Marshall Tucker for his $100 contribution to the Lawton Hall Fund.
Marshall was an important cast member when the Glass Menagerie was performed
in Lawton Hall some 35 years ago.  Also, thanks to my sister Loretta
Capps-Collins for her giving $100 to the Lawton Hall Fund.  We have now
reached the $1,000 level but we need to hear from more across the state.

Final Thought:  "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is
progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford