[Nfbofsc] COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER MAY 15, 2015

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Fri May 15 18:20:51 UTC 2015

COLUMBIA CHAPTER NEWSLETTER MAY 15, 2015

BBQ Results

              Our thanks goes out to all of you who participated in this
year's barbecue!  Here are the current results as of May 15:  Several others
not listed here sold at least 25 to 52 tickets each.  There were a total of
33 ticket sellers.

TOP TICKET SELLERS OF 50 OR MORE:

12         52                       Gail Nelson

11         56                       Doug Hudson

10         59                       Frank Coppel

9            69                       Donna O'Neal

8            78                       Ed Bible

7            80                       Isaiah Nelson

6            86                       Katie Jackson

5            103                     Catherine Williams

4            137                     Maggie Floyd

3            164                     Katherine Zeigler

2            170                     Dale & Pat Wolthoff

1            542                     Donald Capps

345 tickets were sold on all three canvas nights with $339.50 in
contributions.  Thanks to all canvassers, drivers, meal preparers and
sighted guides!  The total to date in all barbecue sales is that 2,201
tickets sales are turned in with $1,327.00 in contributions totaling
$20,035.50 in proceeds.

BINGO on Thursday, May 21 at 7:00 p.m. sponsored by the Telephone Pioneers

Message from Thom Spittle:

http://training.ThinkAccess.org is a website to help you find the answers to
any blindness related question you have.

If you have a question concerning technology, Braille, living skills, or
cooking, you can send an email to training at ThinkAccess.org or call 616-5
Access (616-522-2377, and someone will get back to you with your answer as
soon as possible.

This site is in the early stages of becoming a nationwide community of
instructors and people that want to learn.

There are free and subscription levels. Thom Spittle is offering Level 2 -
Live and not so live tech support, to the Columbia chapter members for free,
(A $60 annual subscription).

There are other subscriptions available if you choose to use them at a cost.
The subscriptions are used to keep the site up and running and pay
instructors for their time. The blind can teach the blind.

When you think of a better world, ThinkAccess

COLUMBIA CHAPTER MEETING MAY 14

              We had a good turnout for the May meeting which featured a
free dinner sponsored by Tiffiny Mitchell.  Our guest speaker was Juliana
Harris from the SC Department of Consumer Affairs.  We had a great
devotional by Jim Jackson with Janice Crosby who sang an inspirational hymn.
May 15 is the cut-off date for Orlando bus reservations which are $70.
Pre-registration for the Orlando convention will end on May 31.  You can now
pre-register for the NFB of SC August 21-23 convention by turning in your
$70 fee now and save $5 from registering at the convention which will be
$75.  Call 803-771-7000 to make your hotel reservations at the Columbia
Marriott for the state convention which is $95 per night plus tax.  David
Houck gave a barbecue update.  Tiffiny Mitchell surprised everyone by giving
out flowers to all ladies present.

The Memorial Day weekend trip to Rocky Bottom costs $20 for anyone going
even if you are providing your own transportation in order to take care of
food, etc.  Isaiah Nelson is in charge of the trip.  The van will leave the
Center at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, May 22.  Don't be late!

There is a $10 raffle taking place where the winner will receive their
convention hotel expense free!  See Tiffiny Mitchell, Pat Wolthoff, Patronda
Anderson, Isaiah Nelson or Dorothy Barksdale for tickets!  Our freewill
offering collected $59.85, Maggie Floyd's drawing raised $63, Ike's 50-50
drawing raised $51 and $45 was collected in dues for three new members,
Casey Edwards, Shelton Thompson and Michael Anderson.  Welcome new members!

Everyone enjoy your Memorial Day weekend and remember our veterans!

Tiffiny Mitchell, President

Columbia Chapter, NFB of SC