[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1501

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed May 20 12:39:00 UTC 2015

May 20, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1501

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              As you know, the State Convention is coming-up fast.  The
Columbia Marriott is now accepting reservations for the 2015 State
Convention during the weekend of August 21 through 23!  Reservations for the
Event should be made directly with Marriott reservations at (800) 593-6465
or (803) 771-7000.

I should also add that pre-reservation is now open for the NFB of SC State
Convention.  The very affordable price of $70 per person will give you
admission to all events and cover your meals from Friday evening dinner
through Sunday morning breakfast.  Please make checks out to the NFB of SC
and send them to the State Office noting which members are covered.

I have an announcement from Scholarship Chairperson, Shannon Cook.  Here is
what she says.  "It is that time of year again: Scholarship Time!  If you or
someone you know will be attending college or graduate school in the fall of
2015 and is blind, please encourage them to apply for a 2015 NFB of SC
Scholarship.  The web address is nfbofsc.org.  They can click on the
Scholarship link and complete the application.  Scholarships will be awarded
at the state convention the weekend of august 21-23.

We also want to remind our chapters and divisions that we are taking
donations, in any amount, for the Metro Fund, which allows the Scholarship
Committee to supplement worthy recipients with a little extra funding."

But before we get to the State Convention, we will celebrate the 75th
Anniversary of the National Federation of the Blind in Orlando.  The hotels
are full; however, President Riccobono is working to secure an additional
facility to accommodate other members who want to attend the Convention.
The NFB of SC will be well represented in Orlando.

I asked you to work on the chartered bus effort by May 15, and you stepped
up to the plate and delivered.  We have forty passengers on the bus, which
is enough to justify the fifty-six passenger accommodations that we have
grown accustomed to.  As of Friday, we had forty signed up to ride the bus,
which leaves sixteen seats for others who would like to join us.

Due to the low number of tickets sold during the bus campaign and the
subsidized pricing of bus seats, we have a shortfall of some $2800.  If
chapters, divisions, or members are willing and able to donate to the bus
fund, it would be a wonderful way to help members attend this historic
Diamond Anniversary Convention.  Kim and I are donating, as we would not ask
others to do what we are not willing to do ourselves, and any amount would
be welcomed.

Remember that on Wednesday morning of the National Convention, we will be
attempting to set a world record for the largest umbrella mosaic.  Come and
be one of the some three thousand participants and help set a world record.
More information about this effort is forthcoming.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              A very important function is taking place this week at RBRCCB.
The senior blind are thoroughly enjoying themselves this week attending this
special program.  Blind seniors from across the state look forward to this
event each year.  Unfortunately we are not able to accommodate all
applicants.  Frank Coppel is Chairman of this program and he has assembled
an excellent staff for this week's activities.  We extend our appreciation
to the Commission for the Blind for their assistance in the senior blind
program.

I realize that a lot is taking place at this time in the federation but we
also need to start thinking about the Labor Day Fun Day Festival at RBRCCB.
It is not too early to make your reservations by contacting the state
office.  Last year we were unable to accommodate members of the Lancaster
Chapter and the Charleston Chapter because all of the facilities had already
been reserved.  Lenora Robertson who is in charge of the food service has
reminded me that food prices have increased significantly and she recommends
that there be a modest increase with a charge of $35 which would amount to
only $5 per meal - three on Saturday, three on Sunday and breakfast on
Monday.

Two more chapters have stepped up to the plate making donations of $100 to
the Lawton Hall repair fund.  These include the Rock Hill Chapter whose
excellent President is Lenora Robertson and the Loris Chapter whose
excellent leader is Alma Lee Doyle.  A Columbia foundation just made a
$1,000 contribution to the Lawton Hall repair fund as well.  We are proud to
report $3,155 has been raised on the Lawton Hall repair fund but we must
still generate $3,700 to meet our needed goal.

Incidentally, our two lady officials in the Columbia Chapter President
Tiffiny Mitchell and 2nd Vice President Jennifer Bazer were generous at our
Columbia Chapter meeting on Thursday, May 14.  Tiffiny sponsored the food
service for last week's chapter meeting in appreciation of those who worked
hard on the barbecue and Jennifer arranged for each lady to receive a single
rose bouquet in honor of Mother's Day.

South Carolina has been prominently featured in the Braille Monitor for both
April and May, thanks to its Editor, Gary Wunder.  Braille Monitor readers
will recall the April issue featured Gary's visit to South Carolina last
December and he was so impressed that he prepared an excellent article
concerning his visit.  In the current issue Gary has featured an article
that first appeared in the Braille Monitor nearly 60 years ago in 1958.
Betty and I spent a week in West Virginia in November of 1958 as the then
NFB President Dr. Jacobus tenBroek requested our participation in this
statewide survey of the West Virginia services to the state's blind which
was disgraceful.  Governor Underwood had requested the NFB to send a team to
West Virginia to determine what improvements could be made.  This article
brought back memories as you might imagine.

The NFB of SC has received a living memorial contribution from the Sumter
Chapter in loving memory of their member Clarence Eugene Huggins.  We extend
sincere sympathy to the family.

Final Thought:  "It's OK to have butterflies, as long as they fly in
formation." - Dana Perino