[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1502

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed May 27 12:28:30 UTC 2015

May 27, 2015

From:  Parnell Diggs, President

Positive Note 1502

Dear Fellow Federationists:

              Pre-registration for the National Convention is open through
Sunday, May 31.  I pre-registered earlier this month, and it was easy.  It
took me about five minutes online, and I will save $10 and avoid the long
lines at the Convention hotel.  Please visit www.nfb.org and pre-register
for the 2015 Diamond Anniversary Convention.

We are up to forty-eight passengers on the chartered bus, which is wonderful
given the slow start in filling the bus.  As you know, I was worried about
reserving an entire fifty-six passenger vehicle just a few weeks ago, but
you have come through.  This means that we have only eight seats remaining;
so if you were thinking of traveling on the bus, you should hurry and get
your reservations in.

I want to extend congratulations to Maria Boone of Sumter, the mother of two
blind children, on receiving a Jernigan Convention Scholarship.
Congratulations are also in order for Grady Dawkins of our Cherokee County
Chapter and to Helen McNuer, president of our Laurens Chapter.  Each of
these individuals will be attending their first National Convention and will
receive financial assistance through the Jernigan Convention Scholarship
Fund.

The following announcement is from President Mark Riccobono.  “Guinness
World Record” Join us for an exciting 75th anniversary experience! Be a part
of history as the National Federation of the Blind breaks a world record for
the largest umbrella mosaic. To participate, you’ll need only to open an
umbrella on cue and hold it aloft. Our umbrellas, when viewed from above,
will form a recognizable mosaic image. Get in on the excitement by going to
https://nfb.org/gwr. We will be sending details as they develop to those
that have signed up, as well as posting them on our website.”

At the April meeting of the NFB of SC Board of Directors, it was decided
that the NFB of SC should offer sponsorship opportunities for organizations,
agencies, and companies in the blindness field.  This arrangement could be a
great fundraiser for the NFB of SC as well as a valuable resource for blind
South Carolinians who want to know about goods and services available to the
blind of the state.  Watch for more information coming soon.

characteristic which defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              No sooner had the senior blind completed their visit at RBRCCB
then the Columbia Chapter began checking in at RBRCCB.  I understand that
there were several new senior blind members attending this year’s senior
week.  We all agree that we want to accommodate as many blind seniors as
possible but we are limited as to how many we can accommodate.  Valuable
programs are provided for seniors.  For example - Shelly Coppel's discussion
group about day to day resources available for the blind of South Carolina.
Our Resident Manager, Brooke West enjoyed her participation in senior camp.
She was particularly impressed with Lenora Robertson and Ellen Taylor for
their extremely hard work.  Brooke stated that Lenora and Ellen worked from
6:00 in the morning until 10:00 at night.  Many of us are aware of the
tremendous service rendered by Lenora and Ellen and they have our sincere
gratitude.  Brooke has been impressed by many of our members.  Brooke has
just completed renting RBRCCB’s facilities to a church group out of
Hendersonville, NC.  This church will be utilizing the facilities during two
weeks in August which will bring in several thousands of dollars in rental
revenues.  Brooke is working hard to increase utilization of the facilities
by rental groups, etc.

              Brooke and her fiancée Jami Rivers have been working on the
swimming pool so that it will be properly serviced and in compliance with
the Department of Health.  Brooke West is a licensed swimming pool operator
having passed a course for this training at a cost of several hundred
dollars.

              The South Carolina 2015 Legislative Manual was recently
released.  Our good Advisory Board member, Sen. Larry Martin had his office
to send me a copy of this very informative Legislative Manual.  In perusing
the manual I noticed that RBRCCB has been honored by Sen. Martin who has
indicated in his biographical information that he is a member of the RBRCCB
Advisory Board.  It is also noted that Rep. Rita Allison had included in her
biographical information the fact that she is a past recipient of the NFB of
SC’s Legislator of the Year Award.  The inclusions by Sen. Martin and Rep.
Allison honors our organizations and is helpful in our public education
program.

              We are beginning to receive reservations for the Labor Day Fun
Day Festival which will be held between Friday, September 4 and Monday,
September 7.  If you plan to participate in this popular statewide Rocky
Bottom program, you need to go ahead and make your reservation.
Reservations are handled on a first-come, first-served basis.  There will be
a charge of $35 for the entire Labor Day weekend food service covering three
meals on Saturday, three meals on Sunday and Monday breakfast.  I also hope
that many across the state are selling your $5 Fun Day tickets.  This
activity is very helpful.  We continue to receive contributions to the
Lawton Hall repair fund and if you have not done so, we hope that you will
consider this important matter with a gift to the project.

Final Thought:  “A great hamburger is like a good book – You don’t want to
put it down until you’ve finished it.”