[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1525

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Nov 4 13:35:38 UTC 2015

November 4, 2015

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              This past Tuesday evening I participated in the NFB of SC
Fundraising Committee meeting chaired by our Second Vice President Debra
Canty.  Although it would have been great to have 100 percent attendance for
our first Fundraising Committee meeting, the eight members who did attend by
teleconference actively participated with a great deal of enthusiasm and
energy.  Chairperson Canty did a great job presiding over the meeting.  The
two ideas which were primarily discussed were; 1.  Selling a stainless steel
thermos coffee mugs with the NFB one minute message and logo, and, 2.
Holding a Sweetheart dance on February 13, 2016, featuring food, music and
dancing.  As further details become available regarding these two
fundraisers, I will share them with you in future Positive Notes.  Each of
us needs to do all we can to help raise funds to support our State
Organization.  I would like to see us raise additional funds to improve our
Scholarship program and other programs which are designed to improve the
quality of life of the blind of this state.

I trust all of you are working very hard selling your 2016 Orlando National
Convention bus tickets.  I am hopeful ticket sales and what we charge for
each seat will cover the approximate $8,000 cost for the chartered bus.
Remember, the drawing will be held at the conclusion of the Statewide
Seminar on January 9, 2016.  The individual who purchases the winning
tickets will receive $300, the seller of the winning ticket will receive
$300 and the chapter who sells the most tickets will receive $300.  If you
are as lucky as Mr. Isaiah Nelson has been in previous years, and purchase
bus tickets yourself, you could win a grand total of $600 as you would be
the seller and purchaser of the winning ticket.

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              It hardly seems possible that Thanksgiving is only three weeks
away and the Christmas Board Retreat is only four weeks away from this
weekend.

              Continuing with information surrounding the creation of the
Commission 50 years ago, the blind had completed visits with their personal
legislators and a number of blind people cries-crossed the state contacting
legislators in support of this legislation.  So much interest had been
generated which resulted in a Joint Hearing of the House and Senate which
was held in the Senate chambers so that the more than 100 attendees could
attend the hearing.  Earlier our federation attorney Gene Rogers and myself
had secured bills used in other states with the best portions of these bills
used to create the Commission.  Rep. Jami Lee from Marlboro County had
traveled to Des Moines, Iowa to inspect the Iowa Commission for the Blind
headed by NFB official Dr. Kenneth Jernigan.  Rep. Lee was a member of the
nine member Legislative Study Committee.  The March 1965 Joint Hearing was
not without its detractors.  Gene Rogers presented our case and Mr. Jim
Cherry, Chief of the Division for the Blind handled their case.  We relied
primarily upon our Founder, Dr. Samuel Miller Lawton who participated in the
hearing as we felt he would be the most influential presenter.  During his
presentation Dr. Lawton stated that, "There was nothing well nor fair about
the Welfare Department."  Some of us paid a high price in order to get this
legislation passed.  I was portrayed as the one individual who wanted to
head up the Commission; never mind that I had been working with Colonial
Life for nearly 20 years.  Opponents of the bill recruited a disgruntled
in-law who publicly attacked me.  Dr. Fred Crawford who was born in the
state, graduated from the SC School for the Blind, graduated from USC Law
School and practiced law for some time in the Upstate, was described by
opponents to the bill as a New Yorker who had come down to SC to interfere
in the matter.  Despite their attacks we were successful in getting support
at the hearing which ultimately played a key role in the passage of the
legislation.  Louise London, a member of the Columbia Chapter, was at the
hearing with her guide dog "Lady."  Someone accidentally stepped on Lady and
she responded with a loud bark which brought the proceedings to a temporary
halt.

Final Thought:  "Motivation is what it takes to get you started.  Your
character shows what it takes to stop you."