[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1526

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Nov 11 13:33:06 UTC 2015

November 11, 2015

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I am certain by now Board members of RBRCCB, the Federation
Center, and the NFB of SC as well as Chapter and Division Presidents have
received their letter regarding the Rocky Bottom Christmas Board Retreat on
December 4-6.  Please notify the State Office as soon as possible of your
intentions for attending this Retreat, In order that we may have an accurate
head count to purchase food for the four meals being served (Saturday
breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Sunday breakfast) as well as making the
necessary sleeping accommodations.  I am confident we will have near 100
percent of our board members in attendance and we will have an excellent
turnout of Chapter and Division Presidents present for the weekend.

Isaiah Nelson has the following announcement; "To:  all chapter and division
presidents:  If there are any members in your chapter or division who
attended the SCSDB, please ask them to notify me either by mail or telephone
in reference to a meeting that we are trying to put together as we are
planning a school reunion in June, 2016.  It will be held at one of the
local hotels here in Columbia.  We would like to get some suggestions or
ideas.  They may contact me at 803-413-2434 or by mail at 6957 Olive Dr.,
Columbia, SC, 29203."

On a sad note, we have been informed by Dorothy Barksdale, Margie Heard, a
longtime federationist and a former member of the Columbia chapter passed
away last night at South Palmetto Hospital in Barnwell.  Margie was a very
kind and sweet mature lady and she will be greatly missed.

Finally, I would also like to extend my thanks to all the chapters and
individuals who responded to David Houck's request for assistance in
obtaining much needed office supplies for the Federation Center.  It is very
heart-warming to me to see when a need arises in our Federation family that
we have chapters and individuals who are willing to respond quickly in a
very generous and positive manner.

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This week the Rock Hill Chapter under the leadership of its
President Lenora Robertson is enjoying their annual visit to Rocky Bottom.
Also, later this month our Clarendon County Chapter under the leadership of
its President Marty McKenzie will be spending some time at Rocky Bottom.

              Continuing with the 50th anniversary of the Commission for the
Blind, the things and challenges the NFB of SC undertook 50 years ago have
impacted programs for the blind.  I want to share this information with you
across the state.  In last week's Positive Note we talked about the joint
House/Senate hearings on the Commission Bill.  There were subsequent
hearings at the Federation Center and Dr. Kenneth Jernigan who came to
Columbia in November 1965, was invited by the nine member Legislative Study
Committee to give testimony, especially since he was the head of the Iowa
Commission for the Blind.

              We had been studying programs for the blind in the state
several years earlier as we were especially disturbed about the treatment of
the 1,800 blind South Carolinians who were receiving Aid to the Needy Blind
(ANB) now known as Supplemental Security Income (SSI).  Our study revealed
information indicating that funds earmarked by the General assembly for
these 1,800 blind recipients had been diverted for other purposes and were
used to cover raises for employees of the Department of Public Welfare.
Initially there was a denial by the Welfare Department that this had
occurred and I was invited to a House Committee to testify concerning the
diverted funds and the Welfare Department was also represented.  During
these hearings once again there were denials that funds had been diverted
but I suggested to the Committee that our attorney be called in with
documentation of the diverted funds and at this point the department head
acknowledged it had occurred.  Subsequently, all of the funds that had been
used for raises were returned and equal payments were made to all of the
1,800 ANB recipients.

              In 1964 I appeared before a Senate Committee to discuss
legislation that would prevent the Welfare Department from charging blind
vendors with set-aside fees.  The agency head, after my presentation, told
the Committee it was planning to eliminate the practice of charging
set-aside fees.  Whereupon, the Chairman of the Committee, Senator Edgar
Brown, stated the agency would not be refunding charges as his Committee
would be making the necessary moves by introducing special legislation which
would prevent the agency from handling the matter without applicable law.

              The NFB of SC has addressed issues affecting the blind with
more than 40 pieces of legislation and blind vendors have received more than
their share of our efforts.  In the 1990's a hostile legislator concentrated
on removing the set-aside provision on the blind vendor bill.  A bill was
introduced by the hostile legislator which finally made it through the
General Assembly although the NFB of SC had made it clear the bill was in
violation federal law as filed.  Our attorney filed litigation and the
attorney for the Senate, after reviewing the litigation, stated the NFB of
SC's position was correct.  Once again the NFB of SC was responsible for the
return of funds to blind vendors across the state that were charged
set-aside fees illegally.

              We are saddened to report the death of longtime federationist,
Margie Heard a few days ago.  Margie has been a loyal and faithful member
and was loved by everyone in the Columbia Chapter where she served for many
years.  On behalf of the NFB of SC family we extend sincere sympathy to the
family of this lady who will be greatly missed by all of us.

Final Thought:  "On this Veterans Day we want to remember our Veterans,
especially our blind veterans.  Many blind veterans are Federation members
or have been served by the Federation.  They sacrificed so that we might be
free."