[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1524

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 28 12:59:42 UTC 2015

October 28, 2015

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              This past weekend the NFB of SC welcomed its newest member to
our Federation family.  On October 25, at 8:15 p.m. Leigh Ann Aileen Houck
came into this world weighing seven pounds one ounce and eighteen inches
long.  Congratulations to the proud parents, Kevin and Carrie Houck and also
congratulations to the proud grandparents David and Darleen Houck.

In another week or so, a letter will be mailed to Board members of the Rocky
Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind, NFB of SC, and the
Federation Center as well as Chapter Presidents regarding the Christmas
Board Retreat which will be held December 4-6 at Rocky Bottom.  During the
NFB of SC Board of Directors meeting, which will be held Saturday afternoon
December 5, we will be discussing important topics such as the state
scholarship program, time and place of the 2016 State convention, fund
raising ideas for the NFB of SC, and an update on the 50th Anniversary
Celebration of the SC Commission for the Blind.  I hope we will have all
Board members present and I strongly encourage chapter Presidents to come to
the Board Retreat and participate actively in the meetings.

Alexus Blanding, President of our SC Association of Blind Students has the
following announcement; "Hello all.  The Student Division of the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina is holding an online t-shirt sale
to raise funds for the organization!!

The t-shirt is a lovely yellow with the NFB logo placed on the front. Yes,
it is simple, but simplicity IS the ultimate sophistication! To own one of
these great creations, you only have to pay the modest fee of $15 (plus
shipping).

If you're not the t-shirt type, you can still donate to our cause by
visiting the site and following the prompts.

The money raised will go towards funding trips to state and national
conventions, seminars, and gatherings of the sort. The fundraiser ends
November 26th, 2015 (in exactly one month).

We ask that you support us in this endeavor and wear your t shirts while
you're out on the town to help advocate our cause!!

Here's the link to the fundraiser:
https://www.booster.com/nfbofscstudentdivision.

If you would like to learn more about the NFB of SC, visit our site at
www.nfbofsc.org.  Thanks in advance!"

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               Congratulations to David and Darlene Houck who became
grandparents on Sunday, October 25 when their son Kevin and daughter-in-law
Carrie became parents of a wonderful baby girl weighing 7 pounds and one
ounce and being 18 inches long.  Both mother, father and grandparents are
doing well.

              Phil Marett, a distinguished member of the Advisory Board of
RBRCCB writes as follows:  "Jim Reed, NFB member from the Anderson chapter
won 2nd place in national Tournament at Outer Banks, NC. There were 8 states
and Canada fishing from Jennets pier. Each state has 3 visually impaired
persons fishing. That made a total of 27 fishermen. They fished from 8:30
until 2:00.  This was South Carolina's 13th trip to the VIP TOURNAMENT.  In
addition to Jim Reed, we also carried Gwen Bolding of the Greenville NFB and
Dean Marshbanks of the Anderson NFB. Jim Reed is also from the Anderson
NFB."

              Our Laurens Chapter spent last weekend at RBRCCB and reported
that they had a wonderful time and are looking forward to their return.

              As we look forward to the 50th anniversary of the Commission
for the Blind (1966-2016), I'm reminded that many blind people across the
state in 1965 gave unsparingly of their time, energy and resources in
contacting legislators.  Frequently there was little or no travel expense
available.  I was glad to contact several legislators, especially key
members.  Speaker Solomon Blatt was a powerful member of the General
Assembly and I assumed the responsibility of contacting him.  Speaker Blatt
very kindly agreed to meet with us in his office in Barnwell on a Saturday
morning.  After questioning by him thoroughly but courteously, Speaker Blatt
stated he would be supporting the Commission Bill.  Another key member of
the legislature was Sen. Marion Gressette.  We traveled to St. Matthews to
meet with Sen. Gressette and he also agreed to support the Commission Bill.
We also traveled to Manning to meet with the Speaker Proem, Mr. Joe Rogers.
Initially, Mr. Rogers opposed the legislation stating that the state did not
need any more agencies.  I told this powerful legislator that we needed one
more agency as the blind of the state deserved a separate agency that would
devote its entire energy to serving blind South Carolinians.  Finally, I was
able to convince Mr. Rogers that actually the proposed legislation would
divorce the Division for the Blind from under the Department of Public
Welfare to make it a separate state entity.  Incidentally, while visiting
with Rep. Rogers we learned he was related to my wife who was a Rogers -
maybe this helped.    In the beginning, two powerful Senators agreed to
support the Commission Bill namely Walter J. Bristow, Jr. and Earle E.
Morris, Jr., both of whom became members of the nine member Legislative
Study Committee.  It hardly seems possible that a half century has elapsed
since the NFB of SC accepted the challenge of enacting a new state agency.
Without question, this is the biggest challenge experienced by the NFB of
SC.

              We regret to report the death of Hilda Graham last week, age
84.  Hilda was a 1948 graduate of the SC School for the Blind.  In the past,
Hilda had worked in Pennsylvania as a home teacher.  At the time of her
death she was living with relatives in New Jersey.  We extend sincere
sympathy to her family members.

Final Thought:  "Accounting is the fine art of letting you know if your
income exceeds your expenses.  Budgeting is the fine art of projecting how
to balance the two."