[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1519

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 23 14:46:50 UTC 2015

September 23, 2015

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Hello from Rocky Bottom where the 2015 Fall session of Senior
Camp is in full swing.  Twenty-three campers from Georgetown to Greenville
are participating in this year's camp, enjoying such activities as walking,
BINGO and a cooking activity.  We also had a great time at the Sky Top Apple
Orchard Tuesday morning purchasing apples, jellies and other goods.  This
afternoon campers are preparing for a talent show which is a highlight of
the camp.  Hats off to Ed Bible, Jennifer Bazer, David Bundy and the
missionary group from Mt. Hebron Methodist Church for the outstanding work
they did last weekend.  Many repairs were done and plans are for the church
to come back November 6-7 to complete this fine work.

              Next week we will be mailing out 2016 Orlando Bus tickets to
all chapters to raise money to charter busses to the NFB national
convention.  It is up to all of us to sell these tickets so that we can fund
this worthwhile program.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              It was our pleasure to spend the weekend at RBRCCB where we
enjoyed visiting with the senior blind members and at Monday's Advisory
Board meeting.  I don't believe we could have a better Director of the
Senior Blind program than Frank Coppel who does an outstanding job.  As
always, our food service expert Lenora Robertson was doing a wonderful job.
Monday morning I had a conference with our Resident Manager Brooke West to
review the progress of this unique program during the first nine months and
look at ways we can improve for the balance of the year.  Our distinguished
Advisory Board Chairman John Sarpy called the board meeting to order at
about 12:30 p.m.  A half dozen Advisory Board members were present including
those who had to drive from places like Anderson, Clemson and Inman, etc.
Chairman Sarpy recognized our new member Ms. Kay Bradley who resides in
Inman.  Ms. Bradley is a Lions Club member and has served as club president.
She and Mrs. Douglass give a good balance to the Advisory Board.  Frank
Coppel and two of the senior blind, Melanie Torrance and Dale Wolthoff made
presentations to the Advisory Board concerning their appreciation of this
unique service.  Chairman Sarpy called upon me for a report and I was able
to share with the board positive developments and challenges.  I reported
that during the year beginning in January we had rental income of
approximately $19,000 with reservations in the last three months of the year
totaling about $25,000 of rental income.  I explained that this income
source plus the Fun Day Festival and miscellaneous contributions will amount
to more than $35,000.  We have come a long way financially, now more than
50% self-supporting, but we have a long way to go which is a challenge.  I
reported the fine volunteer work done by Ed Bible and his church and gladly
told them that Ed's church will be coming back to RBRCCB November 6-7 for
additional improvements.  I also explained that groups which have enjoyed
RBRCCB had signed up 100% for 2016.  We discussed the repairs to be made
beginning this Friday, September 25 by our contractor.  This is an $8,000
job.  This was made possible because of months of intense contributions to
cover the cost of repairs to Lawton Hall.  I reported that this summer was
not a good year for our pool usage as there were difficulties including
equipment breakdowns throughout the summer.  I explained that Dr. Tom Bowen,
resident member of our Board of Directors agreed to assist us, making sure
the pool is ready for 2016.  Our Advisory Board member Phil Marett reported
that he would be involved in a gathering of Lions Club members and the blind
in October to plan for the 2016 blind fishing expedition.  Upon our return
to Columbia Monday night we ran into a severe electrical rain storm which
had flooded the streets and many cars were flooded out but our excellent
driver and caregiver Debbie Manning drove her pick-up truck on the curbing
and managed to get through the flood.  Throughout the years I have heard
about this type of weather but this is the first time I was personally
involved.  It was scary.  Thankfully we arrived safely home and we gave a
prayer of thanks to our Heavenly Father.

Final Thought:  "A budget always looks great on paper, but planning for
things like revenue shortfalls and unexpected expenses always seem to get in
the way."