[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1520

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Sep 30 12:35:31 UTC 2015

September 30, 2015

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              With October 1, just around the corner, I hope many of our
chapters have Meet the Blind Month events already planned.  Loretta Green,
President of our Upper Dorchester Chapter reports, "On Saturday October 10,
2015 the Upper Dorchester chapter of the National Federation of the Blind
will sponsor our Second annual walk-a-thon.  The walk-a-thon will be held at
Woodland High School football/track field, located at 4128 Hwy 78,
Dorchester, SC 29437. The purpose of this event is to raise awareness about
the blind and visually impaired and raise funds for the chapter to purchase
a 15 passenger van. The van will provide transportation for the members to
be able to attend meetings, trainings, and NFB activities. The registration
fee is $25.00 per person. We will walk 1 mile. We hope that your
company/organization will support our effort. This event is a IRS
recognized, Tax deductible, charity fund raiser. Please make all monetary
donations payable to the Upper Dorchester Chapter."  I hope to hear from
other chapters regarding your Meet the Blind Month activity, and I will
share this information in the Positive Note.

I am beginning to formulate committees for 2015/2016.   If you wish to serve
on a committee, please let me know and I will place you on that committee.
NFB of SC committees are extremely important as they carry out the business
of the Federation between Conventions and Board meetings.

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              As I dictate this part of the Positive Note this Tuesday,
there's only one day left in September.  There was a lot of activity at
Rocky Bottom in September as there was the Fun Day Festival, the Senior
Blind week and a meeting of the Advisory Board.  I want to share with you
some things happening in September which received little or no fanfare but
were important.  For example, I heard from many people who enjoyed the
barbecue luncheon over Fun Day but there was a good reason for the barbecue
to be so tasty.  Ellen Taylor, daughter of Lenora Robertson, stayed up until
2:30 a.m. to be sure that the barbecue would be properly prepared.  We now
publicly thank Ellen in this way.  I thoroughly enjoyed being with several
on the Conference Center deck Sunday evening during Fun Day as Parnell Diggs
entertained everyone.  I noted the temperature began to fall as soon as
there was nightfall and the air was invigorating.  There were a couple of
mishaps.  Members of the Anderson Chapter did not arrive until the middle of
the day on Monday and therefore, they missed out on the activities on
Saturday and Sunday.  It was good to see Jenny Smith who did the driving.
Jenny has been serving the blind for over 60 years.  Her late husband Jimmie
served as Second Vice President of the NFB of SC for many years.  A couple
who reside in Rocky Bottom also did not come to the festival until Monday
afternoon.  We may possibly need to review the best utilization of the time
of the Fun Day Festival.  And then there was that wonderful gentleman from
Loris who returned the $500 concerning the winning Fun Day ticket.

              The Senior Blind program from all reports was outstanding.
While Frank Coppel is the excellent Director, he has a lot of help from an
excellent staff including his lovely wife Shelley.  Brooke West, our
Resident Manager thoroughly enjoyed participating in the program and was
impressed with our leaders and members across the state.  During the
luncheon which included members of the Advisory Board, our nurse, Christine
Filter approached me and stated that she wanted to get more involved.  We
need to jointly do all we can to utilize Ms. Filter's service.  I was
impressed with Dale Wolthoff and Melanie Torrance who were introduced to the
Advisory Board by Frank Coppel.  Both Dale and Melanie were gracious in
their impression of the Senior Blind program and what it means to the
enjoyment of the blind.

              Thursday is the first day of October and I'm told that the
leaves have already begun to turn.  The Columbia Chapter will be spending
this weekend at RBRCCB led by the chapter President Tiffiny Mitchell.  I
know they will have a good time and will leave the facilities in the same
good shape as they found them when they arrived.  Christmas is only three
months away and the three boards of the Federation Center of the Blind,
RBRCCB and the NFB of SC will be holding a Christmas Board Retreat the first
weekend in December.  On Friday, September 25 there was a meeting of the
Advisory Board and Board of Trustees of the Federation Center of the Blind.
It was good seeing Robby Bell whose father was the longtime President of the
Laurens Chapter.

Final Thought:  Sign in a household kitchen:  "Help keep our kitchen clean -
Let's eat out!"