[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1548

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 13 12:53:14 UTC 2016

April 13, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              On Saturday afternoon, the Spring meeting of the NFB of SC
Board of Directors was held and a variety of topics were discussed.  The
fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the South Carolina Commission for the
Blind was discussed, and I encouraged everyone to do what we can as an
organization to make this event a special occasion.  If you wish to attend
the banquet you can purchase a $25 ticket by contacting the South Carolina
Commission for the Blind.

              The National Convention bus list was read to the Board.  There
are currently only six individuals who have signed up to ride the bus to
Orlando.  The Board voted to have May 15, as a deadline for individuals to
sign up for the bus list.  If we do not fill the 47 passenger bus by May 15,
we will need to consider the option of using fifteen passenger vans to
transport our members to the Convention.  The board also discussed the
possibility of conducting a fundraiser at the National Convention.  Many
ideas were expressed and plans are to secure a table in the exhibit area to
sell items for the purpose of raising funds for the NFB of SC.  The Board
also discussed the cost for preregistration for this year's State Convention
which will be held October 27-30 at the Ocean Dunes /Sands Resort in Myrtle
Beach.  The Board voted to charge individuals $70 for early registration and
$85 late registration.  The deadline for receiving the early preregistration
fee of $70 is September 20, 2016.

              For the past few months, Ed Bible along with Valerie
Warrington, David Bundy, Jennifer Bazer, and myself have been working
extremely hard to secure a grant from the South Carolina Commission for the
Blind that would assist bind youth in developing skills which would enable
them to transition from school to employment.  Ed Bible announced during the
meeting the NFB of SC will be receiving a large portion of this grant.  Many
thanks go to these individuals for doing an outstanding job putting this
grant together.

              After listening to presentations during the past few months
made by Commission staff, there seems to be a large turnover in staff at the
agency.  It is my feeling many of the of these new staff members are unaware
of the NFB of SC and what we do as an organization to help blind people.
For this reason, I would like to continue to encourage our local chapters to
contact the SCCB district office in their area and invite a new staff member
to one of your monthly meetings.  By doing this, we can educate these
individuals by demonstrating to them that,

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              There was an excellent meeting of the Board of Directors of
RBRCCB last Saturday, April 9.  RBRCCB is fortunate in having an outstanding
board comprised primarily of the five state officers of the NFB of SC
including state President Frank Coppel, First Vice President Lenora
Robertson, Second Vice President Debra Canty, Secretary Dorothy Barksdale
and Treasurer Valerie Warrington.  Additionally, there are three other board
positions including Center Executive Director David Houck, Dr. Tom Bowen our
community board member and myself as member-at-large.  The board elects the
board Chairman whose position runs concurrent with the full board.  As you
can see, there is a close working relationship between the Board of
Directors of the NFB of SC and the Board of Directors of RBRCCB.  This is a
very special week as our Resident Manager Brooke West and Jami Rivers are
getting married Saturday, April 16.  The board extends sincere best wishes
to Brooke and Jami.  They will be living in the resident Manager's
apartment.  Jami has provided outstanding service to RBRCCB during the past
year and we look forward to his continued service.  We have already received
reservations for the Labor Day Fun Day Festival from our Belvedere and Upper
Dorchester Chapters.  It's not too early to make your reservations for this
statewide program.  We anticipate the accommodations at RBRCCB will be
filled to capacity considerably before this special activity and fundraiser
by RBRCCB.  As always, the best possible accommodations will be assigned to
participants but no doubt sharing will be necessary to accommodate as many
as possible.  The dates of the Labor Day Fun Day Festival are Friday,
September 2 to Monday, September 5.  Reservations can be made at the state
office at 803-254-3777 or to myself at 803-787-0462.  In just five weeks the
Spring Senior Camp will take place on May 22 to 26.  Frank Coppel is the
Director of this popular program.  No doubt, once again, we will not be able
to accommodate every senior who wants to participate in this popular
program.  Frank reported to the board that there has already been an
excellent response from seniors wishing to attend this Senior Week.  For a
number of years Frank has been handling this activity and always does a
grand job.  Jennifer Bazer is heading Children's Week and reports that
things are progressing quite nicely.  Children's Week is held July 16 to 23.
Already Jennifer is putting her staff together, carefully selecting
participants so that the children will have outstanding attention.  Lenora
Robertson will once again be in charge of the food service as last year's
food service fee was $40 which includes three meals on Saturday and Sunday
and Monday breakfast including the Fun Day luncheon.  This is an excellent
bargain, especially since the cost of food continues to rise.  We have been
trying to acquire the service of a professional musician so that a concert
can be held in the renovated Lawton Hall either Saturday or Sunday afternoon
September 3 or 4.  If you know of any professional performers who may be
able to accommodate this need, we will appreciate your getting in touch with
the party and report this information to the state office.  I reported to
the board that there had been excellent requests for rental accommodations.
We are pleased that we have heard from several chapters concerning
reservations for individual or group visits.  I am appreciative of the
service provided by so many people as this is a big program which requires
extensive participation.

Final Thought:  The formula to Success is simple:  "Effort plus Time equals
Reward."