[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1549

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 20 15:53:11 UTC 2016

April 20, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              As many of you know, for the past few months I have been
working with staff from the Commission for the Blind in an effort to plan a
suitable program for the Fiftieth Anniversary celebration of the agency.
During the time between January 13, and March 24, there were issues which
needed to be resolved such as the "eating in the dark" activity and the
apparent unwillingness of the Chairman of this committee , to communicate
with me regarding times of meetings and how planning for this event was
progressing.  After the March 24 meeting, I did feel fairly confident plans
were beginning to head in the right direction.  However, I was informed at
our last meeting which was held on April 12, only those individuals who were
to participate in the program and Commission staff would not have to pay the
$25 charge to attend the May 6, banquet being held at the Embassy Suites
Hotel.  Everyone else who wishes to attend the banquet must purchase a $25
ticket including the Board of Directors of the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina.  I was extremely surprised hearing this statement
since I had specifically asked the question at the January 13, meeting who
were considered guests and who had to pay.  I was told at that time the NFB
of SC Board of Directors were going to be considered as guest for this event
and therefore, these individuals would not have to purchase a ticket.  It
was explained to me on April 12, the reason why the agency reversed its
position regarding this matter was because the chairman of the committee did
not realize our State Board was "so large" and the agency could not justify
this expense.  The expense for our Board to attend the banquet on May 6,
would be $300 or less.  It is sad to me that, at a time when we should be
celebrating our accomplishments in providing services to blind South
Carolinians for the past fifty years, there always seems to be another issue
to be resolved. It is my hope that we can genuinely celebrate this milestone
and feel pride in what all of us have accomplished over the last fifty
years.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              For several decades the annual Carolina/Clemson football game
was held on "Big Thursday" at the Fairgrounds.  As a matter of fact, a bill
designating "Big Thursday" was officially made a holiday on this special
day.  This arrangement continued until about 40 or 50 years ago.  Virtually
everything closed on Big Thursday as it was a festive occasion throughout
the state.  I believe one of the principle reasons Big Thursday was
terminated was because Clemson understandably became unhappy with the game
being held in Columbia every year with this curtailing much of the business
in the Clemson area.

              That was Big Thursday but for 60 years there has been another
"Big Thursday" with the Columbia Chapter's annual barbecue being held either
the third Thursday in April or the last Thursday in April.  Big Thursday is
this week.  It certainly will be a festive time at the Federation Center as
hundreds of plates of barbecue will be served at the Center with others
picked up.  Monday night was the last canvas night and the three canvas
nights were successful.  The canvasses resulted in over $4,000 in revenue
which of course is an important part of this project.  It provided $565 in
donations with 393 tickets sold.  Many of you will be receiving the Positive
Note Wednesday afternoon by email and Thursday by direct mail.  We are very
proud of the preliminary report which includes members of the Columbia
Chapter who worked hard to ensure good results.  This Thursday members and
others will be serving the barbecue.  An approximate breakdown of member
participation is about two-thirds with about one-third representing
volunteers.  There will be two serving lines which is necessary to
accommodate our customers.  Each plate will include one-half  of a barbecue
chicken, green beans, an ear of corn, bread and ice tea if eaten on the
premises.  One of Columbia's best barbecue businesses will be in charge of
preparing the food.  While the proceeds of the barbecue will fund the many
programs of the Columbia Chapter, this unique program also produces
excellent public goodwill.  With the barbecue being served until 8:00 p.m.,
you can imagine everyone will be very tired but at the same time very
appreciative of the outstanding success of this long running project.

Final Thought:  Orientation and Mobility:  Have White Cane, will travel.