[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1550

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Apr 27 16:33:46 UTC 2016

April 27, 2016

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              This past Wednesday, April 20, I was honored to speak at the
Volunteer Appreciation luncheon hosted by the Talking Book Services.  Sandy
Knowles and her staff did an excellent job putting the luncheon together.
It was also good to see Dr. Marvin Efron, a longtime friend of the blind at
the luncheon.  It was evident the staff of Talking Book Services utilizes
volunteers a great deal to provide services to their patrons and it was
great to see these individuals being recognized for their hard work,
commitment and dedication.

              Yesterday morning, I along with Jennifer Bazer and Justin
Williams spoke at the Advocacy Day for Access and Independence which was
held on the steps of the State House.  It was very exciting speaking to
hundreds of people, legislators, and the media.  Jennifer and Justin did a
great job with their presentations.  I spoke to the crowd regarding the fact
that we have accomplished a great deal in our movement, but there was still
much work to be done, if we are going to achieve our goal of first class
citizenship.

              Since there are currently seven individuals who have signed up
to ride the bus to Orlando, the State Board at its April 9, meeting voted to
have May 15, as a deadline for individuals to sign up for the bus list.  If
we do not fill the 47 passenger bus by May 15, we will need to consider the
option of using fifteen passenger vans to transport our members to the
Convention.  The charter bus or vans will depart from the Federation Center
in Columbia 8:00 a.m. Thursday, June 30, and the bus or vans will leave
Orlando to return to the Federation Center 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, July 6.
We are now accepting your reservation fee of $100 to ride the charter bus or
vans to Orlando.  Remember, this reservation fee is non-refundable and
non-transferable.

              We have an announcement From Ed Bible.  "Computers for the
Blind (CFTB) has received a grant from Delta Gamma Foundation to provide 85
consumers with fully accessible desktop computers & monitors for $50.
Consumers must send award letter showing that they are on SSI, not SSDI to
be eligible.  Previous grant recipients are not eligible.

              For $10 a state agency or consumer can also obtain the license
key to obtain Talking Typing Teacher (TTT) from MarvelSoft.  Note: $10 offer
is only good for license keys to be installed on CFTB computers.  Basic
training is available for free at Lighthouses for the Blind in Texas and may
be available at similar facilities throughout the US if the consumer does
not qualify for state funded training.  For details go to our recent
enhancements or contact us at:  214-340-6328, info at computersfortheblind.net,
or www.computersfortheblind.net."

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              "Big Thursday" also known as "the barbecue" is now history and
I'm grateful it is.  The barbecue was a success.  More than 2,200 plates
were sold.  It was my best year in several years.  I was blessed to be able
to sell more than 600 plates.  I was able to increase my sales because I
made more contacts.  It's my understanding that the caterer did an excellent
job on the day of the barbecue.  I believe our members and others worked
very hard to be sure our service to customers was top flight.  I want to
complement our Columbia Chapter President Tiffiny Mitchell for organizing
the barbecue and seeing it to completion.

              Monday morning I welcomed our newly married Resident Manager
of RBRCCB, Brooke West-Rivers.  The following is Brook's response to my
welcoming her back:  "Thank you for your kind words welcoming me back! I'm
excited for the start of our busy season next month and I am so grateful to
have the Salem Lions Club and the Mt. Hebron Church to help me get the
grounds and facilities looking their best. I was delighted to receive the
beautiful wedding card and gift of the Resident Manager's name plaque for my
desk. Working with you and the NFB of SC here at RBRCCB is such a special
privilege and I am so grateful to have such a rewarding vocation in life. It
means the world to me that you are so pleased with my work that you would
have a resident manager plaque made for me in my name. It looks just
wonderful on the desk in my office and gives me such pride to see it there.
Last year my focus was on renovations, donations for repairs and
maintenance, and getting the facilities in good working order. This year my
focus is on seeking large funding for operational costs. Now that the
wedding planning is finally behind me I can spend all of my energies and
talents on seeking and raising funds for RBRCCB.

              We could have the Salem Lions Club work on painting the rooms
in Ellenburg, there are quite allot of scuff marks and dings on the walls in
most of the bedrooms. So far we have only repainted the kitchen, common area
walls, and stair railing. We already have the paint and rollers so all they
would need to do is show up and paint.  Jami and I are looking forward to
visiting with you this weekend and hope you have a safe trip."

              I'm looking forward to seeing many of you at the 50th
anniversary celebration of the Commission for the Blind to be held on
Friday, May 6.

Final Thought:  Literacy for the blind:  "Got Braille?"